Join Early Retirement Today

That's the Spirit
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
That's the Spirit

Saw the CEO being interviewed on TV last night on this topic and he said that they are willing to do anything to keep their ticket prices down. No baggage? No problem. Baggage? That will cost. Print pass at home. No problem. Have someone at the airport print it? That will cost ya.
Quote:
Spirit — the airline that already charges you for carrying on a single suitcase — will start charging $5 if you need to have a ticket agent print out your boarding pass.
The airline says it will also lower fares by $5 to make up for the new fee. Hence the genius headline on the press release the company issued to announce the new fee:
Airline Lowers Fares on All Non-Stop Flights and Offers Savings for Checking In Online
The fee starts in November. Starting next year, the airline will also charge $1 if you print out your boarding pass at one of its airport kiosks.
Spirit Airlines Will Charge $5 To Print Your Boarding Pass : Planet Money : NPR

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

maybe they should ...

- start a carry-on fee
- charge per napkin
- charge per bathroom flush
- charge by the pound

I don't fly much so not sure if anyone does this yet or not
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
maybe they should ...

- start a carry-on fee
- charge per napkin
- charge per bathroom flush
- charge by the pound

I don't fly much so not sure if anyone does this yet or not
Spirit is a leader in these areas...

Spirit Airlines Baggage | Spirit Airlines launches $45 carry-on fee - Los Angeles Times

Meanwhile, RyanAir continues to innovate...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1263905/Ryanair-toilet-charges-phased-in.html
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Saw the CEO being interviewed on TV last night on this topic and he said that they are willing to do anything to keep their ticket prices down. No baggage? No problem. Baggage? That will cost. Print pass at home. No problem. Have someone at the airport print it? That will cost ya.

Spirit Airlines Will Charge $5 To Print Your Boarding Pass : Planet Money : NPR
We recently flew on Aer Lingus to Ireland from England and they also charge if the agent prints the boarding pass.

We checked in on-line and printed the boarding passes ourselves.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It's gonna smell very nice in the airplane when the customers start peeing in their seats.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I still fly SWA whenever I can.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We fly Spirit.
They do charge for carry on baggage that is normally free on other airlines. If you don't check in the luggage, it will cost you $20 -but if you check it in, it will only cost $18.

And we usually print our boarding pass at home, but you still have to go in line to the airline counter if you are checking in luggage. That kind of defeats the purpose of preprinting your boarding pass.

There is no snack or any drinks - nothing. And they charge you $2.50 for a can of pop.

And you can not select your seats. If you do, it will cost you - the amount depends on what seat you choose. We just let them assign our seats.

Still, it ends us costing considerably less compared to other airlines.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
We fly Spirit.
They do charge for carry on baggage .
Good. I'm tired of folks carrying way, way too much crap into the passenger area. Sometimes sitting there watching folks troop by pulling a carry-on bag, wearing a huge fanny pack and carrying a huge purse or brief case makes me wonder where it will all go. The answer usually comes in the form of a heated exchange between a flight attendant and a passenger.

Once when I got to my seat I discovered a carry-on under the seat in front of mine (in my foot space) and I questioned my 2 row mates and one admitted to owning it. She already had crap stuffed under the seat in front of her. When she wouldn't move it, I called a flight attendant who, unbelievably, asked me to allow it to be left there. When I refused the flight attendant did pull the bag out and pulled it away. I have no idea where she put it as the overheads were all already over-stuffed.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
From the pricing it seems that they value their employee interactions at only a dollar or two. If they're trying to convince passengers to not use their services, this business model may be full of unintended psychological consequences.

Heck, I tip skycaps and bellhops more than that to handle my luggage. I'd have Spirit do everything for me!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I hope this free market spirit catches on. With the planned reduction to one lavatory per 200 seats on Ryan Air, it won't be long until a passenger figures out that the "1 euro, unlimited time" license he purchased is worth a lot more than he paid. "What am I bid for the next three minutes of time in this accommodation?" or "I'll come out when I see a 20 euro note slide under the door."

Next, they airline will find another profit center in selling the edited video of the fistfights at the queue for the latrine.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen situations when a passenger didn't feel well, and went into the john for over an hour. I can see carrying a blanket or sheet and a small plastic bottle if you are a man.....
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I hope this free market spirit catches on. With the planned reduction to one lavatory per 200 seats on Ryan Air, it won't be long until a passenger figures out that the "1 euro, unlimited time" license he purchased is worth a lot more than he paid. "What am I bid for the next three minutes of time in this accommodation?" or "I'll come out when I see a 20 euro note slide under the door."

Next, they airline will find another profit center in selling the edited video of the fistfights at the queue for the latrine.
That might cut into alcoholic beverage sales!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Administrator

RyanAir is the industry leader in airline fees. I'd post the list but it is too long to cut and paste. see it here General Conditions
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
We fly Spirit.................We just let them assign our seats.................
Do you miss sitting together?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know if it's the same is the US, but a lot more people are taking the train nowadays. Slower but far more humane.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
gone traveling

The problem is in a lot of cases, there is no option for those on a tight schedule or a long distance to travel in a short time - unless you have the money to fly NetJets or something similar.

I hate to fly. DW hates to travel long distances by car. Guess who wins ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Do you miss sitting together?
There is a possibility that we may not get seated together, but it has not happened yet in at least the 6 times (IIRC) that I have flown Spirit. And if it does happen, what is 3-4 HRS of separation out of the 40+ years of being married. She will probably welcome it.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote