Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I can see the Apple product might be nice... wouldn't any WIFI router do the same job?
Yes that is all you need. Just get a cheap $20 wireless router, set it as an access point. Take it any where and plug it in to the cable modem/ethernet port

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, I don't understand references to an Apple specific router.

I've bought plain-jane-vanilla routers for the family members that I do 'admin' for. They mostly have Apples. Generic routers work just fine.

-ERD50
The only reason for the Apple Airport Express router is it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and requires no power cords as it has a flip out plug. Perfect for travel. There may be other routers of this size, but most are definitely much bigger and require a separate power chord.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regarding security, I never access any of my financial sites (bank accounts, investment accounts, credit card accounts, etc.) from an unsecured public Wifi access point and avoid accessing them from a secured public Wifi (where you have to sign in and provide a code like in most hotels these days). I try to only do that from home or if visiting a friend or relative that has a home Wifi that you need a password to gain access.

While I know there are still risks of even doing that, there are risks everywhere and so far, so good.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:19 AM   #24

Thanks to all who responded to my rant. Sorry to take so long to respond, but shortly after my rant, I stuffed my new (and old) mac in a case and headed for the frozen tundra (actually about 40 deg.) of the midwest.

Now that I have some experience with my new Mac, I must say, I don't much like it. True, many of the issues I'm having are due to changes made since I bought the old one. I'm sure I'll figure out most of the differences and get the new one back into shape. Still, some things just don't make sense. For instance, documents didn't have a way to scroll up or down without playing with the mouse quite a bit. Beating on your mouse key just right apparently makes the scroll bar appear (or maybe it just seemed like it.) I found out (after half an hour of searching) this is a "new and improved" way to do what I used to do instinctively. Anyway, after my search, I found a way to permanently (I hope) make the scroll bars appear in every document. So, just stuff like that. BUT the new Mac is much slower than the old one. I thought at first it was my internet connection here in the fruited plane, but now I don't think so. I've tried them both more or less side by side and the old one is still faster.

I had to laugh when someone here said (words to the effect) "Why would you want to do that?" when receiving an answer from a "geek." I got a lot of that in the Apple store. Their eyes glazed over when I tried to tell them the answer. I'm sure that technology has simply passed me by. I'm tempted to just have the old Mac reconditioned and put the new one back in the box until "100% fail."

Thanks again for the commiseration.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, I don't understand references to an Apple specific router.

I've bought plain-jane-vanilla routers for the family members that I do 'admin' for. They mostly have Apples. Generic routers work just fine.

-ERD50
The Express is just super compact and plugs right into the wall connect jack you have wifi. So it's very convenient to travel with - that's all.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

In my house, I had several 'dead' spots that an Apple Airport Extreme fixed very nicely. It should at 4x the price of most!

One thing about the generic routers.... Keep the firmware updated. Or use some of the independent firmware in place of the manufacturer's. Often the generic routers will use cheap, old firmware that they can license for very little. It has bugs in it that can let the bad guys into your home network. And since it is old and cheap, the bugs never get fixed.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #27

I don't understand having a laptop without Wi-Fi... seems to defeat a purpose of the laptop which is mobility. Setting up Wi-Fi in your house is fast, easy, inexpensive, and secure.

Re: speed - today's wireless technology is faster than the speed you can get via your service provider. Any "g" rated router, which is "slow" today, is still faster than your cable modem (well, really the coaxial cable and your cable company) can provide, so the wireless speed isn't slowing you down.

Re: security - put a password on your Wi-Fi network, give your network a unique name that you can easily remember (like NashNet) and then "hide" it from public view. This is very easy to do on using Airport. Most people then have to know your network exists, figure out the name, and the password in order to crack it. There are easier targets out there (i.e. people who leave all their defaults on name: Linksys, password: password or admin.) Just don't be the slowest, sickest antelope on the savannah...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I don't understand having a laptop without Wi-Fi... seems to defeat a purpose of the laptop which is mobility. Setting up Wi-Fi in your house is fast, easy, inexpensive, and secure.
Probably a good point, but a lap top IS cheaper than a desk top (with the same features - if there is such a comparison.) BUT, for me, I do take the lap top ONLY to the mainland with me. With as much trouble as I had getting the system working here in the heartland, NOT having a router was one less thing to deal with.

No matter what anyone says, I see the wireless router as just one MORE point where someone could get into a system - undetected. I'm only a partial Luddite, so I do see the potential value of a wireless router. It's just not what I want at this time. Good discussion. YMMV as always.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote