Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
This guy was arrested for trying to use $2 bills at Best Buy !

Ignorance abounds.

Two Dollar Man jailed in Baltimore County
Are you able to pul up the whole story from the Sun site? I only get a bit of the first page, I would like to read all of it if possible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #22

I bought the handy 4 pack at the Bureau of Engraving, but I'll have to cut them apart if I need to spend them

Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I think that the greatest fault lies with the police who arrested him.
Agreed. The guy has a slam-dunk false arrest case against the dolts.

I have a couple of $2 bills stashed away along with some silver certificate bills.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Are you able to pul up the whole story from the Sun site? I only get a bit of the first page, I would like to read all of it if possible.
Yeah, it looks like the Baltimore sun link to the article is gone/outdated. The story is from April of 2005.

Here is different link to a brief description of the same incident.

Man arrested, cuffed after using $2 bills

imagine being cuffed to a pole for three hours... and for this !

You can't make this stuff up !
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
This guy was arrested for trying to use $2 bills at Best Buy !

Ignorance abounds.

Two Dollar Man jailed in Baltimore County
I'd sue Best Buy if I were him, for $20 million dollars, and request the payment in $2 bills..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Being a collector of US currency, I get them frequently from my bank and use them to tip when we go out....although (until reading here) had never thought that the recipient might have thought them to be counterfeit
My husband would get them frequently too. He also liked to collect US currency.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'd sue Best Buy if I were him, for $20 million dollars, and request the payment in $2 bills..........
And I'd file a formal complaint/suit against the police that detained him as well!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #28

DWs mother works at a credit union, so we get greeting cards all year long with $2 bills in them. I save them too, not sure why, just seems wrong to spend them.

Tho, today, while running my change thru a coinstar machine I found a roll of Sacajeweia $1 coins, $25. Can't remember where I got them, but must have been from DWs mother.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Our local hardware gives half dollars in change anytime they are needed. They have been doing it for years (since before it was odd). It is an old fashion hardware so it is kind of like a WayBack machine trip.

I use to get dollar coins for tips and such, may have to get some more and a few $2 bills.

Don't remember now who, but it was a well known person use to buy uncut sheets of $2 bills and have them bound into pads. He would then take out his swiss army knife scissors and cut off a bill or two to buy things. Was a great gimmick till he was held by security while they verified they were real.

Jeb
Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #30

My wife carries two, two-dollar bills in her purse. Never spends them. Thinks they're lucky (or feels it would be unlucky to spend them. I'm not sure which, because I don't listen to her all that closely).
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #31

Yes, the guy certainly would seem to have a case against Best Buy and the officers who detained him.

My father keeps some $2 bills that were printed in the 1950s as good luck.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I keep mine in my drawers along with my other valuables.
Oh man, what a set-up.....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I keep mine in my drawers along with my other valuables.

You mean the "family jewels"?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Ok... make room. Move that puny $100k bill out of the way.

Make room for the big dog!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg million-dollar-bill.jpg (53.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Just out of curiousity I googled Mike Bolesta, the $2 bill guy. I couldn't find any followup, such as a lawsuit or anything. The only thing I found other than the original story was som blogger who contacted Best Buy about 6 months later. They sent a response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Best Buy about the two dollars bill article. I
apologize I wasn't able to respond sooner. I'm Leda with Customer Care.

We appreciate your concern about the article published in the Baltimore Sun.
We are aware of the article you referenced, and the situation that occurred at the store. Best Buy does regret the
incident took place, however, we also have an obligation to contact the police when it appears counterfeit money is being used. The fact the police were concerned enough about the money to take the man into custody, and felt the need to contact the Secret Service, further validates the store's concern. While I was happy to know that the money
was found to be legitimate, I am sorry the situation left you with a negative feeling about our company.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best Wishes from Best Buy,
Leda and the Customer Care Team
I guess if it was my company, I'd pretend we were in the right too. And truthfully, I suspect that there might be more to the story to get the cops to overreact like that. Either major mouthing off or something.

Still, I would have expected a response from Mr. Bolesta. I suspect money changed hands with an agreement to keep mouths shut.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #36

I just read the article. I'm not sure what this guy could sue Best Buy for. Best Buy didn't handcuff the guy, nor did it mention that they even detained him. They called the police, but that's about it. The police, I guess, did what they were probably taught to do, cuff the guy and then call in the Secret Service. However, I do think that all this could have been handled a whole lot better. It's seems that there wasn't much thinking going on, just a bunch of reacting. And, somehow, I don't think Mr. Bolesta was trying to make it easier for anybody. He did go into the store with an attitude and probably didn't do much to help his cause when things started heading south.