Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
[Emphasis added.]

. The data I mentioned earlier in the thread shows that when people earn enough they do save for the future.
Back when I used to go to a FA, he told me he knew doctors who couldnt save any money. While more income helps with the prospect of saving, ultimately your lifestyle and spending levels dictate whether you can save or not.

People sometimes increase their lifestyle when more money comes their way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMaxx View Post
Back when I used to go to a FA, he told me he knew doctors who couldnt save any money. While more income helps with the prospect of saving, ultimately your lifestyle and spending levels dictate whether you can save or not.

People sometimes increase their lifestyle when more money comes their way.
Doctors have a different route to FIRE than any other profession. They typically don't make 'doctor money' until they're at least 30 years old. They often have around $200K in debt when they start their first real doctor job after residency. A doctor in his/her 30's is not likely to be saving a lot of money despite making $150-300K/yr. Once that debt is paid off, if they can resist the BMW and the McMansion, they should be able to save for ER very quickly.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #83

This article by Kotlikoff basically says that a plumber and doctor have the same amount of lifetime income because the plumber starts early, doesn't get hammered by the tax man (earnings spread out), whereas the doctor starts late, has student loans, and gets clobbered by the tax man. Besides, the plumber doesn't have to "look the part", by having the big house and fancy car.

Study This to See Whether Harvard Pays Off: Laurence Kotlikoff - Bloomberg Business
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #84

plus the doc gets divorced
Old 03-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
plus the doc gets divorced
...and she's driving this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg was-his-license-plate.jpg (46.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, divorce hits a lot of people. A gal I knew gave 1/2 away twice! Two different guys that had nothing, till they divorced. Was only what she acumulated during the marriage but still a lot of money.

She also happened to be one of many that took loan after loan against her 401k. Of the people in my area that contributed probably 1/3 came and asked if I thought taking a loan against their 401k was a good idea. Don't know if any followed the advice, I know some didn't.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
A gal I knew gave 1/2 away twice! Two different guys that had nothing, till they divorced. Was only what she acumulated during the marriage but still a lot of money.
A guy I worked with was teased a lot because he was the only person we knew who bought the same house three times. Similar story.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
This article by Kotlikoff basically says that a plumber and doctor have the same amount of lifetime income because the plumber starts early, doesn't get hammered by the tax man (earnings spread out), whereas the doctor starts late, has student loans, and gets clobbered by the tax man. Besides, the plumber doesn't have to "look the part", by having the big house and fancy car.
I think there's some truth to that, at least more than the usual "everyone has to go to college" meme will admit. And it's more true for college-educated occupations that are easier to send jobs offshore to India, China and elsewhere.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
A guy I worked with was teased a lot because he was the only person we knew who bought the same house three times. Similar story.

"Next time I decide to get married, I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

Attributed to Rod Stewart...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's not 1960 any more, where one could get pay raises that kept up with inflation, a good pension and decent health insurance at work and in retirement. And workplaces are, in many ways, more toxic on average than they were 50-60 years ago.
I think there is some viewing of the past through rose-colored glasses going on here.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #91

Friend of mine mentioned how there's a few guys in his office making $600K but have to bum $50 every Thursday.

They don't even have an extra $50 in the ATM the day before payday!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I think there is some viewing of the past through rose-colored glasses going on here.
Not saying things were better then, ALL things considered, but I think the points I made were valid in terms of the direct deal you could expect from career-oriented employment. If you dispute them, please provide counterexamples or another perspective rather than just peeing in my Cheerios. Simply saying "you're wrong" (even if indirectly) doesn't help bolster your position.

Do you deny that the average career-oriented job in 1955 or 1960 was likely to be a job for life with a pension? With fully employer paid health insurance? With a much lower chance of being "downsized" out of a job? Would love to hear your take on this beyond just saying "NO!"

Educate me. I'm listening.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Friend of mine mentioned how there's a few guys in his office making $600K but have to bum $50 every Thursday.

They don't even have an extra $50 in the ATM the day before payday!
My sister worked in an office with some people like that. Not $600k, but 150k range. If the paychecks weren't delivered before noon they couldn't buy lunch. Amazing.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My sister worked in an office with some people like that. Not $600k, but 150k range. If the paychecks weren't delivered before noon they couldn't buy lunch. Amazing.
They bought the myth that you have to have a million dollar house and a $100,000 car to show everyone you've "made it".

Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
....A UC Berkeley study showed that there is a high correlation between wage rate and savings rate, so it doesn't seem likely that people, in general, have frivolous reasons for failing to save, but rather it seems that if people earned more income then they would save more. That sound like a problem with wages, rather than a problem with saving. ...
I recall when DW worked with the WIC program 20 years ago and would visit low income households on the program. Many of these people made very poor decisions on how to spend what little money they had. They frequently had better cable tv packages than we had, not that we couldn't afford it but more that we didn't see it as a wise way to spend money. They frequently also had caller id and other phone services that we could have afforded but didn't think was worth the cost. Sometimes, they even had newer cars than we had. I'd bet that today they have better/fancier/more expensive cellphones and plans than my 5 year old bring-your-own-phone and pay-as-you-go $10/month plan.

My point is that any claim that low/middle income people don't save in their 401k because they can't afford to is poppycock.... they could... but they don't because it would crimp their lifestyle and require sacrifice.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMaxx View Post
again, your putting your hopes on someone else providing money to you at some future decade for retirement...a process that is failing all over this country.

While DB plans do provide more bang for the buck for the retiree, I cant see how you say they are more efficient to a company then DC plans, I don't hear of 401k plans failing and even if they did, you have the choice to leave that company and resume saving in a 401k somewhere else. Whats not to like about that?

If PBGC is so great, why is it that pensioners are having to settle for smaller pensions then were promised?
I think by law a pension should be the senior-most debt holder of the company. If the company gets in trouble the pension should be fully funded before bond holders get anything.

Management would get focused on keeping the pension fully funded real quick.

Toss in tax credits for funding a DB plan and you'd fix the retirement crisis fast...and also put real pressure on returning more of the economic growth to workers.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I think by law a pension should be the senior-most debt holder of the company. If the company gets in trouble the pension should be fully funded before bond holders get anything....
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, it's never been that way and never will be so whatever.

What would happen is that companies with DB plans would not be able to get financing so they would suffer. More likely, they would simply curtail their DB plans at a faster rate than they are currently and that would be the end of DB plans.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #98

Quote:
Not saying things were better then, ALL things considered, but I think the points I made were valid in terms of the direct deal you could expect from career-oriented employment. If you dispute them, please provide counterexamples or another perspective rather than just peeing in my Cheerios. Simply saying "you're wrong" (even if indirectly) doesn't help bolster your position.

Do you deny that the average career-oriented job in 1955 or 1960 was likely to be a job for life with a pension? With fully employer paid health insurance? With a much lower chance of being "downsized" out of a job? Would love to hear your take on this beyond just saying "NO!"

Educate me. I'm listening.

http://www.ebri.org/publications/fac...m?fa=0398afact

In 1960 41% of private sector employees were covered by a pension, but that doesn't mean vested in it or surviving to collect it. In 1980 it was 46% and had headed down from there. My father was an engineer and changed jobs several times just like people today. I think people fool themselves into thinking things were always better back then.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #99

Quote:
Do you deny that the average career-oriented job in 1955 or 1960 was likely to be a job for life with a pension?
In the years before ERISA (not sure when it was enacted), a pension could disappear when the company went belly-up. It happened to my grandfather as well as to DH's father. In the case of DH's father it was a union pension and the pension funds had been invested in properties in Las Vegas that somehow weren't profitable. And don't get me started on "opportunities" for women back then.

Today's job market has its problems, and who knows what things will be like for my (almost one-year old) granddaughter, but the 1950s/1960s weren't Utopia, either.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

...snip.. sorry about the pensions. .

And don't get me started on "opportunities" for women back then.

Today's job market has its problems, and who knows what things will be like for my (almost one-year old) granddaughter, but the 1950s/1960s weren't Utopia, either.
What opportunities? Mom got married in '39. She was sent home when she went back to work. Actually she knew it as, "a married women had a husband to take care of them". What?

Dad's mother was widowed in '29. Wasn't much for her to do either. She managed to open a small local store, they were poor not hungry, still pretty scary times. But what else could a respectable single/widowed woman do?

The good ole days??

Hope the future continues to be better in many ways.