Join Early Retirement Today
The 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches Of All Time
Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches Of All Time

The 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches of All Time -

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...
Great thread, HFWR!

I love Kids in The Hall, but I have to admit the Chicken Lady always creeped me out.

There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...
I always liked this one (at the end of the clip)...
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...
It's a tie....

Bud Abbott and Lou Costello's most famous live radio bit, the ultimate paean to comic misunderstanding, was showcased in a couple of their films, many of their radio and TV appearances, and in a command performance for FDR. A simple request for the names of the St. Louis ballplayers creates more confusion the more information is provided, as Costello, a peanut vendor, fails to understand that Abbott, the manager of the team, is providing the players' names even though it sounds like he's randomly repeating back-question words. Though the joke's concept isn't original (the format was common to burlesque and the premise is about as profound as a greeting-card pun), the impeccable delivery and crafting make every "Third base!" seem divinely inspired. Pretty much every sketch group, comedy show and comedian since then has studied the sketch; many have reprised it, including Johnny Carson, South Park, The Simpsons and Kids in the Hall. And it's one of those jokes that's universally funny: who hasn't experienced the kind of escalating bafflement that makes you threaten someone with a broken arm or hit yourself in the head with a baseball bat? Ada Calhoun
The premise: a man (John Cleese) attempts to return his brand-new parrot to the pet shop, having realized that the bird is quite obviously dead. The pet-shop owner (Michael Palin) refuses to believe that the parrot is dead, and therefore refuses to let him return it. That's it. While many high-concept sketches have won a deserving place on this list, the Dead Parrot Sketch is something rarer: a simple conceptexecuted with pure comedic brilliance. Cleese and Palin are perfect foils, and much of the joke stems from the rational man growing increasingly hysterical, while the irrational one remains perfectly calm, offering one ridiculous explanation after another ("You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily.") Just as each new generation keeps discovering the Beatles, hundreds of thirteen-year-olds are right now watching this sketch on YouTube for the first time, and incorporating the phrase "pining for the fjords" into their vocabularies. Unlike that unfortunate parrot, this is one joke that will never die. GW

"He's not dead. He's pinin for the fjords"
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...
Great!! Many of these are my all time favorites. The "Parrot Sketch" is a good choice for #1. As many of you know, I volunteer at the animal shelter. It's hard not to quote Monty Python when I work with the parrots. I have been know to often say "beautiful plumage" when seeing a shelter parrot for the first time.
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
These are OK, but by no means the top funniest.

I like...

SNL: Living In A Van Down By The River

Carson: Copper Clappers
carson clapper - Google Video

Carol Burnett Show: Tim Conway's Elephant Story

SNL: The Tony Bennett Show
Hulu - Tony Bennett: Saturday Night Live

No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote