Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The 51'st state?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, I liked JG when he wasnt calling me every name in the book because I have a higher IQ than he does, and when he wasnt responding to his own posts 7 times in a row to boost the all-important post count.

This one, I honestly have no idea what his bag is. Although sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a butthead is just a butthead...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
I think the title of this thread is totally misleading, it should read

12'th Province.

CFB, those Terrorists who inflicted harm on the U..S were all US Residents, all with correct papers.

Not true but they all had legal paperwork at one time

The passenger who rallied the others to crash the plane in Pennsylvania, the one who yelled "Let's Go", he was Canadian.

I don't know if this is true but it is obvious that Canada doesn't really care if their citizens are murdered by terrorists. There were enough of them in the WTC for a decent body count.

I ran into Americans on my recent visit who want to curb Immigration, well they really don't want to curb Immigration, just certain Immigration

What part of the word "illegal" don't you understand?

First question people ask me, "What part of Boston are you from?", something about my accent.

That was meant as an insult.

A Federal Civil Servant has been severely censured for writing a book about the US Invasion of Canada to gain accesss to our water.

It must have been a Canadian federal employee. We have all of the plans to conquer Canada in the Pentagon.

In 1967 I took a course in Chinese Politics given by this radical Yank who had fled Berkely, he told us all, way back then, one day you guys just may see U.S Marines in Ottawa,Americans don't ask , they just take.

Ah, yes. It brings back my college years. The one question I never got answered by the "hate Amerika" types was "If we are trying to conquer the world, why have we never kept any of it that we've conquered?" In many ways it might have been easier. No Cuban Missile Crisis. No WWII. No fear of nukes in Iran. No illegal immigration from Mexico. More polite waiters in Paris.

I have never forgot that.

FWIW -- Canada is probably the only country the US has invaded that it hasn't conquered. That was back in the British Empire days so the Canada part was just a sideshow during the American Revolution and War of 1812.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Oh for gods sake, dont feed the troll.

But in "we dont get french benefits" tradition:

Todd Beamer was born and raised in New Jersey. Mark Bingham was from California. Tom Burnett was from Minnesota. Andy Garcia was from California. Jeremy Glick was from New Jersey. In fact, none of the passengers identified as being involved with trying to take back flight 93 was a Canadian.

None of the hijackers were american citizens or had valid paperwork allowing them into the country. Many of them did enter the US via Canada, however.

The people who asked you "what part of boston are you from" just thought you were driving like an asshole.

By the way, the people you used to work with that bet money that you wore a wig and paid one guy to yank on your hair to see? They didnt do that because they thought you had great looking hair. They did that because they thought you were a pompous butthead that they didnt respect, and because your hair looked fake.

And no, Fed-Ex isnt too expensive either.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

None of the hijackers were american citizens or had valid paperwork allowing them into the country.* Many of them did enter the US via Canada, however.
I definitely don't even want to be associated with you know who, but this statement is a gross misperception. Very few troublemakers have ever entered into the USA via Canada. Most came on student or work visas directly from overseas. The US system simply fails to keep track of where holders of visas are.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My recollection (and i'm not going to take the time to look it up as we're about 17 levels away from "who cares") is that some of the hijackers drove up to maine the day before the attacks to pick up several others who had re-entered the country through a canadian border crossing. Not that it matters, it was US customs and immigration who let them in.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Oh for gods sake, dont feed the troll.
You're right. Sorry.

We don't get french benefits?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

No, and its NOT the leaning tower of PIZZA!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I still am irritated at the passport thing.* This will cut the traffic on our borders and hurt Manitoba, Ontario and Minnesota.*
Sheeesh......... *Martha, you gotta get past this. *It seems to be annoying you way out of proportion. *Is there something we don't know? *Something you haven't shared regarding you and your personal relationship with your passport? *

For commercial traffic, having truck drivers, etc., carry passports just isn't going to stop trade. *Having a passport is easy and there is nothing to prevent businesses from coughing up a few bucks to get it done. It's going to be less problamatic than requiring commercial drivers licenses.

For tourism, well yeah, a bunch of folks who might otherwise have never obtained identification beyond their birth certificate and maybe a DL, will now wind up going through the passport process. *Maybe a few won't and there will be a small drop in tourism. *It sure isn't going to stop me. *I'll be chasing walleyes around Gull Rock Lake (near Red Lake) in June and looking forward to it.* The Canadian resort owner where I'll be staying will continue to spend his winters at his condo in Florida.

Can you imagine what it has to be like for for border authorities today regarding all the various forms of identification being shoved in their face? *A DL from Mississippi. *A learner's permit from ND. A faded, torn birth certificate from PEI.

I agree it would be nice to exempt Canada from the process. *But in today's world, it's tough to be non-inclusive.

So........ *grab that passport and practice whipping it out to present to the official at the border! *You'll have it down pat in no time and will continue to enjoy freely granted access as in the past. *

Old 04-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
The US system simply fails to keep track of where holders of visas are.
Yep.* It's not an easy thing to do.* I'm not an isolationalist by any means, but perhaps the process for obtaining a visa needs to be reviewed?*
Old 04-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #50

Don't you mean 11'th province?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

CFB , your information is incorrect and as for an invasion of Canadian Culture, how about we start with Basketball, then Baseball,a nd how about Football.

Jim Carrey, Michael J.Fox, Kieffer Sutherland, William Shatner, Lorne Greene, Jack Kent Cooke, Stevie Nash etc etc etc

I have travelled the world several times, in many cities they have painted "Yanks Go Home" on buildings, I have never seen "Canadians Go Home", in fact the opposite

Greene Peace.

U.N Charter of Human Rights.

John Kenneth Galbraith.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #52

Quote:
Oh no kidding, I didnt know he did that one. My tivo siphoned it up into 'suggestions' last week and my wife asked me if it was funny. I told her it sucked.
one of my fav movies. very funny. and yes, they are coming...very soon

they walk among us and we dont even know

the CN tower? hmmmm....

Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #53

Whoever said the US doesn't hang onto the counties it invades is partly wrong. Don't we still have Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgins, along with some other tropical isles? Not to mention Texas and California 8) Seems like we hung onto the Philipines and Panama Canal for a while, as well as bases in Japan, Germany, and S. Korea. Just sayin'.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

astromeria,

We bought the US Virgin Islands from Denmark. Bizzarre, no?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #55

Co-ol! Man, we got some smart dudes in the gummint.

(I assumed the US Virgin Islands were part of the spoils of the Spanish-American War. Silly wabbit.)
Old 04-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

astromeria, one other correction: The US didn't invade the Republic of Texas, it was voluntarily annexed by the US.

"The Republic of Texas is no more," proclaimed Anson Jones, the last president of the republic, as he stood on the steps of the old wooden Capitol building in Austin and hauled down the Lone Star flag. The date was Feb. 19, 1846, and the ceremony was the culmination of years of effort on the part of Jones, Sam Houston and other Texas leaders who orchestrated Texas' annexation into the union."

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...brock.0-1.html

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
astromeria, one other correction:* The US didn't invade the Republic of Texas, it was voluntarily annexed by the US.
Yeah, and I bet the Texas residents who weren't U.S. citizens felt the same way that the native Hawaiians did...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #58

I learned that the Americans in Tejas persuaded lots more Americans to join them and overwhelm the Mexican population. Sounds rather like an invasion to me. But then I went to public school in NY
Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I learned that the Americans in Tejas persuaded lots more Americans to join them and overwhelm the Mexican population. Sounds rather like an invasion to me.
Hey, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Anyhow, the Mexican population is definitely settling the score judging by their very successful ongoing invasion of Tejas.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yeah, and I bet the Texas residents who weren't U.S. citizens felt the same way that the native Hawaiians did...
Actually I believe that there was general support for the move in Texas in part because of continued difficulties with Mexico.* Protecting what Texas considered to be its border became easier with the resources of the US behind it.