Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Amazing Half-Full Glass
Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In case you missed this morning's Scott Burns Post. He waxes philosophically on turning 70 years old.

For example:

Quote:
If you have a problem that can be solved with money, count your blessings. Problems that can be solved with money tend to be trivial problems. They may seem big at the time, but when you look back, they were silly. The biggest problems in life are the ones that break our hearts. I have a long list. I’m sure you do too. The only thing we can be certain of is that someday we will experience one, more, or many of those problems
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
In case you missed this morning's Scott Burns Post. He waxes philosophically on turning 70 years old.

For example:
I have little or no control over the things that will break my heart. They're to be enjoyed with abandon.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
this morning's Scott Burns Post
Good post from one of my favorite columnists.

I really liked

Quote:
How is it that those who sell financial products routinely worry us about not having enough money— but surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people? The answer is that life isn’t as money-centered for most people as the financial services industry would have us believe.
But he paints a much too rosy picture of w*rk:

Quote:
Despite the national hand-wringing about the millions of people who can’t afford to retire, there is a major chance that working is a good thing. Working is connecting. Connecting is good.
It's a nice thought, but from all I've seen in my time on this Earth, the employment experience is, for most Americans, a living hell, exceeded only slightly by the hell of unemployment.

Incidentally, why do "surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people"? Because they're no longer slaves to the grind.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps waking on this side of the dirt becomes more significant than owning the right car, clothing, house, widget, tchotchke...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Quote:
I could easily retire, but the thought scares me. Despite the national hand-wringing about the millions of people who can’t afford to retire, there is a major chance that working is a good thing. Working is connecting. Connecting is good. If you don’t get to Florida for a long time that’s not so bad. Odds are you’ll still spend more time retired than your parents did.
He really doesn't see his chains, does he? He sounds like he keeps working because he's scared of the alternatives and hasn't educated himself, let alone tried them out.

I wonder if he'd still work if he didn't get paid for it... or at least donated his salary to charity.

And, no, Scott, one of my parents never got to spend any time retired while the other one only enjoyed about 20 years of it before the dementia took over.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I thought we were talking about one of these.

Wireless Catalog - Half Full Drink Glass

I agree. I like a lot of what Scott Burns writes, but it's always seemed like he missed the whole point of the whole saving and investing thing. It's to give you FI and security for after you stop working.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I thought we were talking about one of these.

Wireless Catalog - Half Full Drink Glass

I agree. I like a lot of what Scott Burns writes, but it's always seemed like he missed the whole point of the whole saving and investing thing. It's to give you FI and security for after you stop working.
Do you get the feeling that he is less happy than we are?

I don't.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Good post from one of my favorite columnists.

I really liked

It's a nice thought, but from all I've seen in my time on this Earth, the employment experience is, for most Americans, a living hell, exceeded only slightly by the hell of unemployment.

Incidentally, why do "surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people"? Because they're no longer slaves to the grind.
Which is why, IMHO, the point is financial independence. I liked my job and if my boss had stayed and I didn't have a cardiac event one night I would have stayed until as I told DW, they dragged me out of there. Some people do have meaningful or enjoyable work.

I really liked the article, I will be sharing it with friends, even a local Vanguard Bogleheads meeting tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you get the feeling that he is less happy than we are?

I don't.
No, actually I don't either. I think he likes what he's doing and wouldn't know what to do with himself if he quit. But he definitely comes across a lot as afraid of what would happen if he retired. If that's how he feels, that's a great reason to not retire. I know a few people who are FI but just couldn't sleep at night without the security of their job. Vive la différence.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #10

In recent months, I thought Scott had gone off the rails. He's been very pessimistic about everything.

So, it was a pleasant surprise to read this post. Some people are just happier working - they love their work and even though they are financially independent, it works for them. Power to them! To each their own.. etc. etc.

I liked this best
Quote:
Living low on the hog (2). How is it that those who sell financial products routinely worry us about not having enough money— but surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people? The answer is that life isn’t as money-centered for most people as the financial services industry would have us believe.
As each day passes, I believe in the wisdom of this more & more.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote