Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The Amazing Music Identification Technology
Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,536
The Amazing Music Identification Technology

Have any of you tried the various methods of "name this tune"? We've used it a couple of times to try to remember the name of a song, asking Siri to listen and identify.

We were watching an episode of Poirot (had Tim Curry as one of the leads, no less, LOL!) and they played a lovely baroque vocal bit that sounded vaguely familiar. Realizing the words were in English, I knew it was one of the English baroque composers - maybe Handel or someone. So I put Siri to the test, she listened, and after several seconds comes back with:

Famous Baroque Arias
Robert King & The King's Consort
Dido & Aeneas: When I am laid in Earth (Henry Purcell)

Yep - that was it, bingo. Not only the piece of music, but the exact recording - with a link to buy it, of course!

This technology just blows me away! There was even some dialog during the music on the show - didn't matter.

How many 10s of thousands of hours (if not 100s of thousands) must there be of recorded music, including oodles of classical music? I just don't understand how the searches can be so fast.
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,299
From what I understated, it only works with recorded tracks, matching the recording it 'hears' to its library. A 'fingerprint' is created, based on certain parameters of that music (the beat? relative levels of different frequencies changing over time? a bunch of other things?). I'm sure there is some super advanced modeling and pattern recognition stuff going on, that only people with a PhD in these areas can even begin to grasp.

What I really can't understand is, how it can match a few seconds from a random starting section of a tune, to anything, at any point, in its library. Wouldn't you need to take that fingerprint, and 'slide' it through every song, start to finish, to find the match? Wouldn't that be thousands, millions, of comparisons for each tune it needs to check until it finds a match? Maybe they can eliminate a bunch of songs that don't have that kind of signature anywhere, but it still boggles my mind.

[off topic rant]And if software can be this sophisticated, and available to the common man, why can't it be super easy to find which doctors are in my network for the various health care plans I'm being offered? Seems I need to sort through, with a unique search for each plan and each doctor. That's a much smaller universe.[/off topic rant]

Conspiracy theory: They have been implanting subliminal 'watermarks' in all songs for decades. We can't hear them, but every 1/2 second, an identifying 'bar code' is encoded, to identify the song. All done for copyright protection purposes.

Not-so-Conspiracy theory: As I understand it, this song identification technology was developed to protect copyrights, and that is why youtube will challenge various uploads, even those with incidental music in the background.

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What I really can't understand is, how it can match a few seconds from a random starting section of a tune, to anything, at any point, in its library. Wouldn't you need to take that fingerprint, and 'slide' it through every song, start to finish, to find the match? Wouldn't that be thousands, millions, of comparisons for each tune it needs to check until it finds a match? Maybe they can eliminate a bunch of songs that don't have that kind of signature anywhere, but it still boggles my mind.

-ERD50
Yeah - that's what has me scratching my head
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 894
SoundHound app on my iPhone.

I don't know if it would have worked in your case, but so far every time I've used it it's worked.
__________________
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This technology just blows me away! There was even some dialog during the music on the show - didn't matter.

How many 10s of thousands of hours (if not 100s of thousands) must there be of recorded music, including oodles of classical music? I just don't understand how the searches can be so fast.
Wow, I am truly amazed!


I went out of my way to pick less well known songs & artists. Siri got tunes & artists exactly correct by American HiFi, Social Distortion, Sixpence None The Richer, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Todd Rundgren, Marc Cohn, Shania Twain, Shawn Colvin, Randy Newman, Maxi Priest and from Rocky Horror Picture Show and Les Mis.

However, she may know popular music genres better than others.

She did not recognize John Williams original Jurassic Park theme (surprising IMO, broadly known) at all and guessed way wrong on a classical guitar Partita in E Major by Ana Vidovic (an almost unfair choice, arguably very obscure).
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
SoundHound app on my iPhone.

I don't know if it would have worked in your case, but so far every time I've used it it's worked.
I use SoundHound too. It's a great app IMHO.

You got to try humming into the app and see if it can identify which song you are humming! If it can, you are certifiably good at humming IMO. I even hummed a Japanese song from the 80's and strangely enough, the app played back someone else humming the same song (The real song must not have been loaded yet - When I try it now, it shows the song from iTune).

You got to try it out - It's free.
__________________
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,449
Does it work if you sing or hum out of tune, as I am apt to do?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Does it work if you sing or hum out of tune, as I am apt to do?
It may do word recognition, I don't know. (Try it out and see.) I'm pretty sure though, it won't be able to identify if you hum badly.
__________________
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...
[off topic rant]And if software can be this sophisticated, and available to the common man, why can't it be super easy to find which doctors are in my network for the various health care plans I'm being offered? Seems I need to sort through, with a unique search for each plan and each doctor. That's a much smaller universe.[/off topic rant]
Heck, what you want is way too advanced for them.

I have told the story earlier of how my health insurer did not apply the payment I made online to my account. One of their Web pages showed that I made the payment, yet another of their pages showed an overdue balance. And I received multiple letters from them threatening to cut off my policy. It took multiple phone calls (4 or 5) before they could correct it.

For 2016, I kept this insurer, but changed from a Silver plan to a Bronze. Again, one of their Web pages acknowledges the new policy, but the billing page shows a balance of 0. There's no way for me to pay, so I had to call them. And now, it shows that I have some credit because the premium is still not billed.

I guess all the good programmers go to work on smartphone apps, and leave many fields to incompetent programmers.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,317
Another Soundhound fan here.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
It may do word recognition, I don't know. (Try it out and see.) I'm pretty sure though, it won't be able to identify if you hum badly.
I use Shazam which is similar. IIRC it identifies a profile of music/tonals and time against known recorded library. Playing the song on your kazoo won't work.

It is the same technology that spawned Pandora (sort of in reverse) where you tag songs that you like and it learns to send you similar songs based not on the artist but on the type of music (that is why if you tell Pandora that you like Jimmy Buffet, you get a lot of Country music instead of island music).
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Have any of you tried the various methods of "name this tune"? We've used it a couple of times to try to remember the name of a song, asking Siri to listen and identify.

We were watching an episode of Poirot (had Tim Curry as one of the leads, no less, LOL!) and they played a lovely baroque vocal bit that sounded vaguely familiar. Realizing the words were in English, I knew it was one of the English baroque composers - maybe Handel or someone. So I put Siri to the test, she listened, and after several seconds comes back with:

Famous Baroque Arias
Robert King & The King's Consort
Dido & Aeneas: When I am laid in Earth (Henry Purcell)

Yep - that was it, bingo. Not only the piece of music, but the exact recording - with a link to buy it, of course!

This technology just blows me away! There was even some dialog during the music on the show - didn't matter.

How many 10s of thousands of hours (if not 100s of thousands) must there be of recorded music, including oodles of classical music? I just don't understand how the searches can be so fast.
Shazam made me feel real provincial - was watching a terrible Thai rock-em sock-em movie and one of the female characters started singing. Drives my gal nuts that I listen with the sound up to dialog I don't understand, so of course I had to rave about the incomprehensible tune and how deeply the words moved me. Insisted she Shazam the tune - she did, and had a pretty instant result, and was able to find an album cover that had the singing character's name and face.

Had to recognize that Shazam wasn't just capable of identifying English language tunes, but ALL recorded music - worldwide. Every now and then I feel real small.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,495
+1 to Shazam. And I'll take an android over an iphone any day of the week, personally.
__________________
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 473
Not really new - I remember a friend demonstrating Shazam a number of years ago - but still quite amazing.
__________________
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,449
There was a song that was special to me because a personal emotional experience back when I was 18. For 30 years, I looked for it to no avail. Only about 10 years ago, I happened to spot it on youtube as an upload by a Japanese girl!

I was able to research further, and found out that it was a 1973 one-hit wonder by a German singer. It enjoyed some popularity in Europe in that time, and had lyrics in many different languages, though I happened to listen to it in English.

Nowadays, I would not have to spend 30 years to track down a song.
__________________

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music that anesthetizes you - on hold or elevator music target2019 Other topics 14 03-27-2015 11:24 PM
A 1950s car identification test Zero Other topics 25 05-03-2011 06:18 PM
Skin gun--amazing technology hakuna matata Other topics 13 02-19-2011 11:29 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.