Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just an observation if you ever get to Munich go to the Deutches Museum, it is Munich's science and industry museum, (and get a german view of who developed what tech)
Just pick a small section each time you visit. An enormous place, kind of like the Smithsonian in DC. Well worth your time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I live in Illinois just outside St Louis and a 1750 square foot ranch built is 2011 with 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths is valued at about 230,000 with 3/4 acre lot. property taxes here are stifling also at 5500 per year. People complain about a 2% deductible on their homeowners policy and then pay that much in taxes every year without a whimper.
Wonder what your taxes would be in the "show me" state - guessing much lower than $5500.

We live in the Chgo burbs - 2800 sq ft home on a 1/4 acre. Pay approx. $10,000 in property taxes. Gotta get out of here but my wife won't think of it. Between the taxes, the crap weather (for about 5 months) and the stench of the politics can't see many advantages living here while retired (except no state income taxes on retirement income).
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Agree on the Museum of Science and Industry. That and the Museum of Natural History. Both awesome.
With that, I end my digression
YES!!! I saw the Field Museum of Natural History on that same trip to Chicago back in the 1950's. All I specifically remember about the Field Museum is a stuffed bear that scared me to death (being a little girl), but once I got past the bear I enjoyed it a lot as well. But the Museum of Science and Industry was my favorite.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

~2,200 sq ft 3/2 on 1/2 acre with fenced in back yard cost me $167k 4 years ago (Zillow tells me it's worth right at $200k now)- NW Atlanta suburb.

I have a 4'x32' and a 4'x16' garden in the backyard currently.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I'm guessing a San Jose suburb. Willow Glen?

Willow Glen would probably be higher.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
YES!!! I saw the Field Museum of Natural History on that same trip to Chicago back in the 1950's. All I specifically remember about the Field Museum is a stuffed bear that scared me to death (being a little girl), but once I got past the bear I enjoyed it a lot as well. But the Museum of Science and Industry was my favorite.
I grew up in the Midwest and have fond memories of the Chicago museums as well, especially the Museum of Science and Industry. I still like museums. Many of the museums in the area we live now each have discount, late night events once a month that are fun for cheap date nights out.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
In the Raleigh suburbs, you are looking at the same. New builds closer to Raleigh are much higher.

The best ITB Raleigh land cost runs 459999++ for a .20 acre. Then put the house on it. Over 1 mill all day long.
Outside the belt line ( OTB) real estate feels the same frenzy at a slightly lower price point.
One thing they don’t make more of us land. He or She who owns the dirt owns the money.
This market is unrecognizable compared to 8 years ago.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Suburb of Charlotte, NC.... 3 br 2.5 ba on 2 acres.... maybe about 350k or so. Excellent school district.

We also have a house in the Charlotte (UNCC) University area for our college student. Paid 160 last year ( 10k over asking to win the deal). House is only 10 yrs old , new roof, 3 bed 2.5 bath 1/4 acre fenced lot. Taxes 1300/yr.
Roommates pay 1200 per month which means daughter lives free and house pays me $500/mo.
I get yellow letters requesting me to sell the home at least 5 per month from investors. I’m sure the home’s value has increased to 180 in less than a year. Home is in a reasonable HOA community which polices general maintenance items like grass length, parking, and exterior maintenance. Mostly owner occupied, the HOA keeps the landlord and residents in check.
Charlotte is a good housing market to invest in, plus a great city to live in!
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #89

We live in a beachfront condo in Southern CA with a 180 degree view of the ocean/coastline. It’s about 1,600 sq ft. The unit underneath ours sold for $1.3 million a few years ago. Prices have risen since then but there hasn’t been any other turnover of similar units so not sure exactly what ours is worth. Property taxes are $14K/year and rising every year. It’s a newer building, only 15 years old.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Central Georgia. 2300 sq ft all brick with brick privacy fence and 3 car garage. 16 years old. HOA is $60.00 per month and includes pool, tennis, workout facility and community center and gates. Taxes are $3100 per year and include county and city. Kroger, Kohls, Publix and numerous restaurants within one mile.

Zillow says $235K.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #91

We wive in suburban DC, and I simply can't relate to housing prices here any more. We're not really satisfied in our current area, too far out and short of amenities, and anything we'd really like to live in would be $650K.

We'll be retired and gone inside of 2 years.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
What?!

I'm from Chicago originally, and almost spit out my coffee when I read this.
Agree about the weather... But let's look at the facts:
'Hawks 2010, 2013, 2015 stanley cup champs
Cubbies 2016 world series champions
Sox: 2005 World Series Champions
Bulls, well 6 NBA titles in 10 years in the 90's says something.
Bears - OK yeah... It's been a while

So, really, you can't make a general statement like that without pushback

None of the above compares to the fact Blackhawks got the worlds best back up beer league goalie Scott Foster who currently has the best all time NHL goal save percentage of 1000%. Has stopped every shot he has faced when suiting up for the Hawks.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma_here View Post
So this thread had me curious and I looked up the estimated value of my, quite old, 1300sqf condo. I looked at both Redfin and Zillow, and I threw up a little: the low price of their ranges was $750k with a high of $950k. Who can afford that?

I'll join the poster who said thank you for prop 13
My old 1220 sq ft condo in Boston sold two years ago for $1.2 million. Two bedroom, one bath, no parking and minimal storage.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

3/2 1500 sq ft house, 2 car garage, 12,000 sq ft lot, Redmond, WA, 1 mile from microsoft campus. Value about $730k - zillow says $830k, tax assessor says $630k. $6k in property tax. Though property values have gone up, it seems like the neighborhood has gone slightly downhill, with more renters and less well kept yards. Still seems like a very safe, happy place. It seems kind of strange to own a house that I now couldn't possibly afford to buy.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

DW loves looking up houses on Trulia or whatever. It's a hobby. Just for fun last night she checked out the house she grew up in back in the 50s-60s. It's a 900 sq ft 3/1 SFH on a fairly big (~.75 acre) lot in McLean VA. It's old, sort of worn out, and the only house in the neighborhood that hasn't been torn down and McMansionized. The estimate on it is $1.3M. It was on the market last year for $1.25M but didn't sell, so I think that's a bit inflated. But still! That's crazy. Our house in FL is 1200 sq ft, newer (but still 30 years old), fairly close to the beach, and probably worth a tad over $200K. Nothing makes sense.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #96
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Nothing makes sense.
+1

Interesting, made me want to look back. The house DF bought in '67 has a Zillow estimate of 3X the price he paid. Over that same stretch, CPI is 7X. They sold in '97, and it is 1.5X the sales price. A real loss for someone.

We bought a house when we moved back to the US in '98, sold it 6 years later for 1.8X, pure luck, because the location was work related and the housing boom was just getting started. It helps to be lucky.

According to Zillow that house it is now worth 18% less, but the poor unlucky guy that bought it is paying about 50% more in property tax. Bad luck.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma_here View Post
I'll join the poster who said thank you for prop 13
+1 on Prop 13. Prop 13 and the ACA have helped to keep our retirement expenses pretty reasonable so far.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We bought a house when we moved back to the US in '98, sold it 6 years later for 1.8X, pure luck, because the location was work related and the housing boom was just getting started. It helps to be lucky.
My favorite similar story:
A friend built a beautiful custom house in Redmond, Washington a few years before Microsoft moved in. He cashed in big time!
Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

I just sold my "country house" in rural central Illinois. Four bedroom, two bath ranch on 4 wooded acres overlooking a wetland. $150k, taxes $2k.