Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we've gotten way off track. Nevertheless, I guess I don't spend much time researching items with cost less than (say) $20... nor do I order many online (the exception being lack of local availability and need).

For larger (higher cost) items there are several websites that will compare/watch pricing for you. For instance, camelcamelcamel.com:

AC Watch.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #162

One of the better features of Amazon, to me, are the ratings. Depending on the kind of thing you're shopping for, they can be pretty helpful for which products people generally like. Of course you need to watch for the thing where there are not enough reviews to be valid.

So just because you can't buy something from Amazon doesn't mean you can't comparison shop and use the reviews. I very often do just that, and don't even log-in, then buy elsewhere. And except for a few whitelisted sites, all my cookies are gone every time I close my browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
So, if I search for a flight, the strategy is to delete the cookies if want to come back later and check the price? It's as if the website is seeing me for the first time?
Or use incognito mode, which is easier.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a quick update.

I’ve disputed the Prime fee and another content purchase charge via the Synchrony Bank Amazon credit card. They told me it may take up to 60 days to resolve the dispute.
Originally they asked me to speak with Amazon customer service to seek the credit for the disputed amounts. I did so. But after they saw my account was closed all they could do was submit a form to Account Services. Then I got an email asking me for a statement for a card ending in 37. Sound familiar? I fell into the trap of taking one more lap through their circle of hell.

So after that I just called Synchrony back and insisted the dispute be taken up through them.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have been using Walmart.com a lot more than Amazon recently. I find the Walmart prices to be lower, free shipping if the order is over $35, fast shipping (most in 2 days), easy to deal with customer service, easy returns (can return to the Walmart store). I can find most everything I need on Walmart.com. For specialty items I use Ebay. I would encourage the OP to check out Walmart.com. Amazon is not the only game in town and if they treat their customers like dirt they will lose a lot of customers.
Poor luck with my recent walmart.com purchase, items delivered today.

Items arrived damaged, box itself is too damaged to use to ship back.

I had to hunt to find the return page (no link on your order page)

Then, presumably because the online status is still listed as "Just shipped" I can't select "start a return" - that button just takes me back to the order page.

Maybe if I wait a few more days...chat won't open either, & there's no option to send customer service an email.

In my experience Amazon (& jet.com) handles the above situation much better.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #165

As an Amazon junkie, this whole thing deeply disturbs me. Without going back through all nine pages of this post, I was just wondering if you read this recent article from Business Insider?

Amazon closes users' accounts, and customers are fighting back - Business Insider

From the article: If you're an Amazon customer with a story to share, email retail@businessinsider.com

There's a Facebook group for folks in these shoes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519885701643780/about/
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

A similar thing happened to me with Amazon over 15 years ago except I was banned from selling only. I asked several times, even with a new account I had since opened, and they still do not allow me to sell. Any friends accounts where they use my computer are also not allowed to sell anymore and banned.

I emailed and called Amazon and it never did any good. Now I can only buy on there.
It is a shame as I sell a good bit on ebay and sometimes Amazon seller fees can be lower.
workburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been using Walmart.com a lot more than Amazon recently. I find the Walmart prices to be lower, free shipping if the order is over $35, fast shipping (most in 2 days), easy to deal with customer service, easy returns (can return to the Walmart store). I can find most everything I need on Walmart.com. For specialty items I use Ebay. I would encourage the OP to check out Walmart.com. Amazon is not the only game in town and if they treat their customers like dirt they will lose a lot of customers.
I guess it depends on the Walmart. My experiences with Walmart.com have been miserable. It often takes 20-30 minutes for anyone to even show up when I go to pick up the package. The packages are often crushed or damaged, sometimes to the extent that I have to refuse the order. Yes, returns are easy, and prices may or may not be better. But the pick up process is such a lousy experience I try to avoid ordering from their online department if possible.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I guess it depends on the Walmart. My experiences with Walmart.com have been miserable. It often takes 20-30 minutes for anyone to even show up when I go to pick up the package. The packages are often crushed or damaged, sometimes to the extent that I have to refuse the order. Yes, returns are easy, and prices may or may not be better. But the pick up process is such a lousy experience I try to avoid ordering from their online department if possible.
I have not used the Walmart pick up service. I have used the delivery to the door service and have overall been satisfied with that.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

The Business Insider article was interesting.

I think I will stop reviewing anything I buy on Amazon, just to avoid being tagged for fraud in case they think I'm getting something for nothing. Our reviews are really just a form of free labor for them anyway.

BTW, I suspect the review thing has a lot to do with it. There is all kind of fraud out there on reviewing. The OP may have got caught up in some offshore "review mill" that somehow linked to their account. Even if I quit reviewing, I may not be protected from that.

Reviews are the great new scam. Be careful out there. There are many honest reviews. Unfortunately, there are also bad actors in the system.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I think I will stop reviewing anything I buy on Amazon, just to avoid being tagged for fraud in case they think I'm getting something for nothing.
Reading that Business Insider article I was thinking the same thing. Not just on Amazon, but anywhere.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
As an Amazon junkie, this whole thing deeply disturbs me. Without going back through all nine pages of this post, I was just wondering if you read this recent article from Business Insider?

Amazon closes users' accounts, and customers are fighting back - Business Insider

From the article: If you're an Amazon customer with a story to share, email retail@businessinsider.com

There's a Facebook group for folks in these shoes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519885701643780/about/
Wow - ok! Good find!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Although I actually like shopping at our local small Walmart, their customer service line is invariably a mob scene; I'd never consider picking up there (even if it were closer than 15 miles from home). We use the home delivery. Packing is not always the best. They think glass can be safely packed in those little air bag strips. I have provided feedback to the contrary.

Quote:
I have not used the Walmart pick up service. I have used the delivery to the door service and have overall been satisfied with that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
... and will definitely order more things from Walmart.com, Jet.com, Google Express and ebay.com (I buy a lot of new items on Ebay all the time for cheaper than Amazon).
Keep on eye on Google Express: Last week I was going to buy via Google Express:
Kirkland Laundry Soap $16.29
Bounty White Paper Towels $23.54

At the Costco Warehouse the prices for the above items:

$10.99
$15.99

As I recall, the two items were on sale at the Costco Warehouse, but were not on sale going through Google Express.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The only reason I use the in store pick up is that everything I've ordered from Walmart either has an expensive shipping charge or would take too long being delivered to the door. I saw in your post that anything over $35 is free delivery, but that's either new or not across the board. I've ordered some fairly heavy items that I would love to have had delivered to my home, but it wasn't an affordable option. Maybe it's because we're in a rural area or something. Or maybe they've improved their process. I do a ton of ordering on Amazon, and with my Prime account I don't worry about shipping or delivery. But if I'm shopping for something over $100 I always compare prices. Maybe I'll give Walmart another try. It's not like we're not there fairly often anyway.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #175

I avoid going to stores altogether now whether it's Costco, Target, Walmart even the grocery store -unless I have no other option. Around here they're crowded, parking lots are full and people are annoying, rude and have bad etiquette and I live in a nice part of the country...at least on paper.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #176

Quote:

$10.99
$15.99

As I recall, the two items were on sale at the Costco Warehouse, but were not on sale going through Google Express.
Same with Amazon, their prices don't always reflect the in-store discounts but that's OK as it still saves me from long lines and the inconvenience of driving to the store and dealing with people
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
One of the better features of Amazon, to me, are the ratings. Depending on the kind of thing you're shopping for, they can be pretty helpful for which products people generally like. Of course you need to watch for the thing where there are not enough reviews to be valid.

So just because you can't buy something from Amazon doesn't mean you can't comparison shop and use the reviews. I very often do just that, and don't even log-in, then buy elsewhere. And except for a few whitelisted sites, all my cookies are gone every time I close my browser.

Or use incognito mode, which is easier.
And yet Amazon ratings can be fake. Be careful. If you spend some time on slickdeals you will see discussions on Amazon ratings being pumped on some occasions.
copyright1997reloaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #178
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've heard good reviews of this website.

https://www.fakespot.com/
Old 06-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #179

There is no one answer on this regarding who has the best prices. Sometimes Amazon. Sometimes Walmart. Sometimes Target. Sometimes Home Depot. Lowes. Sears. Best Buy. Adorama. B&H Photo. Newegg. Ebay. and so on.

When I am looking for something, I check a bunch of different places (or at least what makes sense for that item).

Amazon and WalMart are in a retail price WAR. They frequently match deals on the other's site. Amazon will frequently match deals at WalMart, Best Buy, Home Depot and so on...and will change prices if the other site no longer has the deal.
copyright1997reloaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

$10.99
$15.99

Costco items are sold by resellers and they mark it up to what they think the market will bear - caveat emptor.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote