Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For me, it's situational. I tell most folks I'm retired and that's the end of it. For some of the older, nosy folks in the neighborhood, I tell them I work from home. We have lots of business owners and home workers, so it's easy to blend in.

I can certainly relate to the younger folks resenting you, though. Currently, we are in Mexico with two other couples. One of them can't fathom that I have no reason to work...and I've known them for 20+ years. If THEY don't understand how I got here, most people won't. I shouldn't be surprised that they are also getting ready to get a second mortgage on their home to do some renovations and seem perfectly content to work 5 more years and not take a 'real' vacation for 3 years for the improvements. As you might guess, they will NOT be on our next getaway.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.

Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Most recently I told someone I was a music critic, but that I was willing to criticize pretty much anything. For example, that shirt you're wearing...

You must be a busy man...

bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
When you have the financial resources to not work, you're automatically on every mailing list of every company that wants your money. It's a part time job just throwing away incoming mail.

And tending to investment portfolios is another part time job.

I just don't look to retirement as not working. I'm busy every day--doing what i want to do.
+1 It's amazing the number of people who assume I just sit around with time to burn. No---- I'm pretty much as busy as ever, but I make the list!

"Everything becomes more itself." --C.S. Lewis
LitGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #84
Confused about dryer sheets
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
LOL I used to say that I was a Private Portfolio Manager. If people asked anything further, I simply said it was private.
I'm retiring June 15 at age 55, but I could easily pass for 49. For me, Private Portfolio Manager wins the prize! Follow up questions can be met with vague answers like save a portion of each paycheck, live below your means, diversify your investments, don't try to time the market, etc. This could be fun! Maybe I'll even print a few business cards.
Sangiovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
"Urban transportation consultant" heh - I used to design parking lots for walmarts.

And later worked at one of those regional transportation authorities that received a lot of useless rantings from the public about how F-ed up everything was.
I hope didn't actually read the rantings before sending the generic " Thank you for contacting the ABC Metro...... " reply . or you wouldn't have time to do anything else

Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote