Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who's your least favorite presidential candidate?
Hillary Clinton 41 34.75%
John Edwards 12 10.17%
Barack Obama 3 2.54%
Bill Richardson 0 0%
Rudy Giuliani 15 12.71%
Mike Huckabee 18 15.25%
John McKain 4 3.39%
Ron Paul 5 4.24%
Mitt Romney 11 9.32%
Fred Thompson 9 7.63%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

The Anti-Primary
Old 01-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Anti-Primary

OK, I'm not usually very political but I am curious on one thing.

Which of the presidential candidates is your least favorite? The last on your list? The most horrifying?

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I still want a "None of the above" option...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Too bad I cant pick more than one.. I have an equal dislike :P
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is much harder than the other poll. I dislike oh so many.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't wish harm to the guy, but the thought of Guliani running the country scares me. Everybody says he's the national defense/foriegn policy guy. What, did he invade Jersey when he was Mayor? Nobody liked him on September 10th, does something terrible happening to your city make you Presidential material? Same feeling about Fred Thompson - people, he didn't serve as Admiral of the fleet, that was a movie!

Overall though, there are candidates on both sides I could live with.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I don't wish harm to the guy, but the thought of Guliani running the country scares me. Everybody says he's the national defense/foriegn policy guy. What, did he invade Jersey when he was Mayor? Nobody liked him on September 10th, does something terrible happening to your city make you Presidential material? Same feeling about Fred Thompson - people, he didn't serve as Admiral of the fleet, that was a movie!

Overall though, there are candidates on both sides I could live with.
Sorry to say but Rudy "Cousins" Guliana is just like Old George W when it comes to foreign policy, 9/11 and war policies - ALL HAT & NO CATTLE.

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #7

Dennis Kucinich isnt on your list?
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Huckabee is really a nightmare scenario. Although Clinton redux is equally as unpleasant.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

And Fred Thompson? Huh? He's openly admitted he doesn't want to be president, so why is he wasting everyone's time and money? Must be for the ego stroke.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #10

I hope this isn't considered a thread hijack - if so - slap me down.
I don't want to start a flame war, but I am curious, so here's a challenge. Can anyone who chose Hillary as least favorite in this poll, in a dispassionate and factual manner, explain in 50 words or less what they have against Hillary Clinton as president?
If actual numbers are referenced (as per national debt, etc) I'd like to see links to a reputable source.
I'm genuinely curious. I mean, I'm not in love with any of the candidates, but why the hatred against her?
BTW I chose Huckabee as most horrifying, and I can explain in five words. He doesn't believe in evolution.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
It don't bother me none.

Quote:
I mean, I'm not in love with any of the candidates, but why the hatred against her?
I'm sorry, I can't help you with your request. But personally I would avoid using the term "hatred". Perhaps your use of that term was suggested by my use of the word "horrifying" in my original post. I regret using that word and would edit it out, but people have already voted based on my original post being the way it is, so I'm going to leave it.

I don't hate Mrs. Clinton and I don't hate any of the presidential candidates listed in this poll. Just because a person is my 10th choice for President of the 10 choices doesn't mean I hate them.

Do you truly hate Mr. Huckabee, or just strongly disagree with his (dis)belief regarding evolution and believe that whether or not holding such a belief is an important consideration in selecting a President?

For the record, I find ad hominem attacks distasteful regardless of the source and target, whether they be Presidential candidates of any party or members of a message board. I try not to participate in them myself and have several posters on this board on my ignore list due to a noticeable percentage of their posts being negative personal attacks.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #12

No one in this thread has written that they hate any of the candidates - but I have seen lots of it on Facebook during and after the debates, including a msg sent to me through there. I didn't want to encourage that particular guy to clarify, because he sounded unstable and it wasn't anonymous.
There seems to be serious dislike of her in particular, and I don't get it. Many people in this forum seem to use their brains, and I see lots of votes against Hillary in your poll, so I was hoping to get the reasons spelled out to me. Maybe she awakens something purely visceral and there is no explanation, but somehow I doubt that.
In my personal life I am surrounded by like-thinking people.:confused:
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I still want a "None of the above" option...
In this case, that would be "All of the above"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In this case, that would be "All of the above"...
Picky, picky, picky....
Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't want to start a flame war, but I am curious, so here's a challenge. Can anyone who chose Hillary as least favorite in this poll, in a dispassionate and factual manner, explain in 50 words or less what they have against Hillary Clinton as president?
If actual numbers are referenced (as per national debt, etc) I'd like to see links to a reputable source.
I'm genuinely curious. I mean, I'm not in love with any of the candidates, but why the hatred against her?
BTW I chose Huckabee as most horrifying, and I can explain in five words. He doesn't believe in evolution.
Because she didnt kick her old man out of the White House
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not a true Hillary hater, I do have a number of Republican friends have a vitrolic reaction that to her that is pretty much the same way many Democrat react to President Bush. Still she was my choice for this poll and here is why.

In 2000, ABC's Jeff Greenfield made a very wise pithy observation. "American's have to make a choice which scares them more George Bush in the White House or Al Gore in their living room. " I had reservations about President Bush judgement, experience and communication skills as President. In hindsight many of my reservations were valid. On the other hand I recoiled at the thought of having to listen to Al Gore pedantic style lecturing us stupid little American children why we had to go along with what "Daddy" Gore knew was best for us. Listening to Hillary IMO is not quite as bad as Al Gore in 2000, but still sytlistically she annoys and occassionally infuriates me listening to her. She has gotten better but not much.

I think she has no moral compass and few principals. Her willingness to do whatever it takes to get elected run negative ads, adjust her position for political expedience etc. reinforce my reasons. (FYI, my #2 choice in this poll is Mitt for precisely this reason)

For all her claims of 35 years of experience I don't think she has really done or accomplished much, with the exception of helping to get Bill Clinton elected President. I am hard press to think of a single thing that you can say if Hillary wasn't around XYZ wouldn't have happened. It seems to me virtually all of her Democratic and Republican rivals have done more. The US would be a different place without Rudy, Mitt, or McCain. I probably don't agree with the jury in most cases, but Senator Edward clearly has changed the lives of his clients that he represented.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Can anyone who chose Hillary as least favorite in this poll, in a dispassionate and factual manner, explain in 50 words or less what they have against Hillary Clinton as president?
I voted for Hillary in this poll because, in 50 words or less, I want a change, time for someone new. The Clinton's had their time in the sun. Same goes for the Bush's, one was enough, I still can't believe we've had two of them in my lifetime. It is a personal bias, family political dynasties are a little too much like royalty, not my cup-o-tea.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw Thompson on Meet the Press and it was if the guy had downed a dispenser of tranquilizers with a shot of Tennessee whiskey. He was shockingly lethargic. Since that's what comes to mind first, I picked Fred as my least favorite. On any given day I could choose several of the others.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My mom doesn't trust any of the candidates. She thinks that anyone who wants to be President is nuts.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
I voted for Hillary in this poll because, in 50 words or less, I want a change, time for someone new. The Clinton's had their time in the sun. Same goes for the Bush's, one was enough, I still can't believe we've had two of them in my lifetime. It is a personal bias, family political dynasties are a little too much like royalty, not my cup-o-tea.
An NPR review of the Iowa caucus said exactly that - Huckabee and Obama represent CHANGE. They just felt that there was no way Hilary could represent change. If she tries, it will look fake - experience? change?

-ERD50

clinton just won NH though...
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote