Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: I read between the lines ....
I tend to trust the poster 16 19.51%
I read between the lines, try to toe the neutral line. 15 18.29%
I tend to be skeptical 9 10.98%
Depends on poster, post, mood of the day, how many coffee I had, ... 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the old days of mother earth news magazine, near the last page these tall tales kind of folk were members of the "truth and veracity league".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

My sister's adult step son was (is) afflicted with this problem. Years ago (before Google) he came to visit his dad and while at a local cafe, struck up a conversation with a (OK, "the") reporter for the small town newspaper where my sister and his dad lived. His visit lasted only a few days and when the paper came out the following week, my sister was surprised to see a lengthy interview with him. He had convinced the reporter he was a former Air Force test pilot who now owned a high-end custom motorcycle manufacturing company in Florida. In reality, he was an occasionally employed mechanic with numerous brushes with the law.
Wait a minute ... aren't you the guy who ... hmmm ...I seem to remember something about asteroids. Luckily for you my memory is a bit hazy nowadays.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Lies are necessary to maintain consistency. Unfortunately age has a way of making attempts at truth an honest impossibility.

All references to "friends" are in fact, hapless attempts of self disguise, including those that deal with friends who have "passed on".

I am still pondering this one. Sounds like some wisdom lurking there. Care to expand on this?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

More than any other forum I've been on I take people at face value. I give pretty much anybody on this forum 3 strikes before I basically assume they are lying.

I do read between the lines for new posters, if the math doesn't add up.

On other forums I am not nearly this trusting. This forum and MMM are the only forum I use my real name.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I am still pondering this one. Sounds like some wisdom lurking there. Care to expand on this?

I thought it was just me.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I tend to take people's posts at face value...

... and particularly from someone with the screenname of Robnplunder who "promised" to look for gold under my mattress even though I already said I only had a few gold coins bought as a keepsake.

I don't use my real name, post photos of my homes only under very restrictive angles, and absolutely no photos of my RV where gold coins were imagined to be lining under the mattress.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #67

I somehow missed this thread over the last few days. But it explains a lot since I'd wondered if W2R had mentioned the wh** word. She came close in this thread - and others attributed it to her as well. All last Friday.

That explains yesterday and today.

Now that I'm retired, it's unnerving to lose my yearly withdrawal value in 2 days of trade. Is there a reverse whee?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I tend to take people's posts at face value...

... and particularly from someone with the screenname of Robnplunder who "promised" to look for gold under my mattress even though I already said I only had a few gold coins bought as a keepsake.

I don't use my real name, post photos of my homes only under very restrictive angles, and absolutely no photos of my RV where gold coins were imagined to be lining under the mattress.
LOL.

I don't use real name in case my megacorp (or people there) finds out I am surfing the net when I really should be making more (obscene amount) money for shareholders.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

You know, I am armed to the teeth (for target shooting, not hunting), and do take at least my 357 with me when RV'ing, except when crossing into Canukstan.

However, I do have to sleep, and I sleep very soundly particularly after a long day of RV'ing. I cannot stay up all night guarding the gold that I really do not have under the mattress.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I somehow missed this thread over the last few days. But it explains a lot since I'd wondered if W2R had mentioned the wh** word. She came close in this thread - and others attributed it to her as well. All last Friday.
Well, uh, errr, ummm... I didn't exactly "whee" out loud, since I knew others here were still doing their annual rebalancing... but my rebalancing and annual withdrawal did go through with Friday's market prices so I was pretty happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi
Now that I'm retired, it's unnerving to lose my yearly withdrawal value in 2 days of trade. Is there a reverse whee?
Reverse whee? Hmm, good idea! When this sort of thing happens, it IS a good buying opportunity. So I'd imagine some people here are reverse whee'ing right now. Not me, though, because I have no plans to buy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
When someone posts a thread about a conflict, confrontation, he-said-she-said tales, do you trust everything the member wrote and come to his/her aid, read between the lines and look at things from opposite side, or become skeptical and questions his/her claim?

If you read between the lines, what kind of things do you notice? What are things you look for to validate his/her story? What do you typically "see" between the lines?
Just assume it's true. Offer opinion. If not WTFC?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Is there a reverse whee?
Yes. But then we'd have to moderate the post.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Eh, in the midst of the Great Recession, it was me who made several "Buy, buy, buy" posts. I recalled making some in late 2008, and one in March 09 at the market bottom.

Just now searched for them, but the forum software only let me search back 8000 posts. I can still try to find them manually, but it's too tough. However, the search did go back far enough to locate a "Buy, buy, buy" thread I started in May 2009.

And in early 2008, I did talk about raising cash, and it was a good thing I did as the stocks I unloaded were economic sensitive stocks and came down harder than the market later in the year.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post817529.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #74

Quote:
Just now searched for them, but the forum software only let me search back 8000 posts. I can still try to find them manually, but it's too tough.
I've found that going to Google and searching on "early-retirement.org" + your search terms can be very successful in finding old posts.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've found that going to Google and searching on "early-retirement.org" + your search terms can be very successful in finding old posts.
+1

That's what this handy search box near the top of the page does:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E-R search box.JPG (13.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

OK, I did that as a lark and took quite a bit of time to find just this one. Note the date of 3/29/2009, right at the market bottom.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post801647

I remember some earlier "buy, buy, buy" posts in late Feb 2009 or early March 2009, where I exchanged a few posts with CuppaJoe. Can't seem to find them now. I wanted to find them to show off my superior memory, if not my excellent market calls.

But where's CuppaJoe anyway? Many posters simply disappeared.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But where's CuppaJoe anyway? Many posters simply disappeared.
It's a conspiracy...
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

So, what y'all have done with her? How do I get in on that secret?

Anyway, I just found 3 more of my "buy, buy, buy" posts right at the bottom of the market during the Great Recession.

On 1/12/2009: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post771274

On 3/19/2009: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post797586

On 4/4/2009: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post803784

So, I had no problems buying low. If I just now heed the Wh*** sell signal, I would be so rich... Without fresh money from income, if one does not sell high, how does he buy low?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

That is so yesterday NW-Bound. What are you doing for us now?

I need a prediction with a 95% confidence level.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned, I only do buy signals. For selling, you already have the Wh***.

Right now, it's not time to buy. And I did not heed the Wh***.

Still wonder if it's not too late. Well, the market may rebound and give me another chance.