Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: I read between the lines ....
I tend to trust the poster 16 19.51%
I read between the lines, try to toe the neutral line. 15 18.29%
I tend to be skeptical 9 10.98%
Depends on poster, post, mood of the day, how many coffee I had, ... 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

The art of reading between the lines
Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The art of reading between the lines

When someone posts a thread about a conflict, confrontation, he-said-she-said tales, do you trust everything the member wrote and come to his/her aid, read between the lines and look at things from opposite side, or become skeptical and questions his/her claim?

If you read between the lines, what kind of things do you notice? What are things you look for to validate his/her story? What do you typically "see" between the lines?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

I'm trying to figure out what you really mean in your post

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the poster. Most of the regulars seem to have a pretty straight forward approach to their questions and are at least consistent in their positions.

I have seen a few less regular posters that sometimes require suspension of disbelief (I'm 27 years old, have $7 million that I've earned myself etc....yes, I know there are people like that but....)

A red light goes off when the words and music don't go together like when folks claim to have very large portfolios but ask quite naive investing questions. (If you're so rich, how come you're not smart? ...and where is your financial advisor?)

Or (this might be the New England elitist in me...forgive me!) when the sentence structure/grammar doesn't suggest the mental wherewithal to support the "$7 million I made on my own" claim.

I could be wrong...DW reminds me that I'm wrong every few hours, but I was brought up to be skeptical and have developed a fairly accurate bu##s@*t meter.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Depends on the poster. Most of the regulars seem to have a pretty straight forward approach to their questions and are at least consistent in their positions.

I have seen a few less regular posters that sometimes require suspension of disbelief (I'm 27 years old, have $7 million that I've earned myself etc....yes, I know there are people like that but....)

A red light goes off when the words and music don't go together like when folks claim to have very large portfolios but ask quite naive investing questions. (If you're so rich, how come you're not smart? ...and where is your financial advisor?)

Or (this might be the New England elitist in me...forgive me!) when the sentence structure/grammar doesn't suggest the mental wherewithal to support the "$7 million I made on my own" claim.

I could be wrong...DW reminds me that I'm wrong every few hours, but I was brought up to be skeptical and have developed a fairly accurate bu##s@*t meter.
My first go on any post it to take it at face value but I agree with you that we periodically get new posters that clearly strain any credibility I might typically give them.

Outrageous amounts of assets, income and expenses immediately make me suspicious especially when coupled with profound ignorance of most any subject involved with amassing obscene levels of assets and not being able to demonstrate any of the necessary skills to obtain the horrendous income.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post

Outrageous amounts of assets, income and expenses immediately make me suspicious especially when coupled with profound ignorance of most any subject involved with amassing obscene levels of assets and not being able to demonstrate any of the necessary skills to obtain the horrendous income.
Sheesh! You said what I said, but soooo much more eloquently!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
My first go on any post it to take it at face value but I agree with you that we periodically get new posters that clearly strain any credibility I might typically give them.

Well, I just figure that they are either trust fund babies or major drug dealers....

I get a little skeptical about the ones who say that "a friend" is having a marital, parenting, home repair, or financial problem. So, I then wonder if it is the person posting who has that problem, and maybe he/she doesn't want to say that. A scenario goes through my mind, where the friend has asked the person posting what to do. The person posting then says, "Wait a minute, and I'll ask all my wise friends on this forum that you never read". Doesn't make sense to me but maybe that is what is happening.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, I just figure that they are either trust fund babies or major drug dealers....
Trust funders usually don't have to ask for investment advice; at least on forums.

Drug dealers...maybe more so, but the "retired early" might mean something more sinister.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My friend is so attractive that women keep throwing themselves at him. He asked me if I could tell him how to handle this. I told him that I have no experience of this sort (pity!) but my wise friends on a message board have experience with everything and always know how to handle tricky situations.

Suggestions for him?

Ha
Old 12-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
LOL
Old 12-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
You need to click on the "skeptical" line. Trust me.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It's way too much work first, to misrepresent yourself and then, to remember the misrepresentation.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Most of the regulars seem to have a pretty straight forward approach to their questions and are at least consistent in their positions.

I have seen a few less regular posters that sometimes require suspension of disbelief.
Even some of the regulars are pretty suspect IMHO.

For example, I am a completely fictitious persona that was created as a project in social engineering by a group of college students at an undisclosed location.

Year after year, each new class has taken "me" on as their project (the handoff from the previous class happens just after graduation each summer), and one of the objects is to see how well the fiction can be maintained without the rest of the forum catching on that they are actually dealing with a committee.

"I" am a regular member of a great many online forums, under various usernames, and so far we have managed fairly well. Oh, there is the occasional slip-up, but in general you folks have been gracious enough to pretend not to notice.

Just thought you should know.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even some of the regulars are pretty suspect IMHO.

For example, I am a completely fictitious persona that was created as a project in social engineering by a group of college students at an undisclosed location.

Year after year, each new class has taken "me" on as their project (the handoff from the previous class happens just after graduation each summer), and one of the objects is to see how well the fiction can be maintained without the rest of the forum catching on that they are actually dealing with a committee.

"I" am a regular member of a great many online forums, under various usernames, and so far we have managed fairly well. Oh, there is the occasional slip-up, but in general you folks have been gracious enough to pretend not to notice.

Just thought you should know.
I read this as "You shouldn't drink too much of the stuff you make. "
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My friend is so attractive that women keep throwing themselves at him. He asked me if I could tell him how to handle this. I told him that I have no experience of this sort (pity!) but my wise friends on a message board have experience with everything and always know how to handle tricky situations.

Suggestions for him?

Ha
A Teflon suit ?

Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I try to take folks at face value, so I put down tend to trust the poster. Note the words "try" and "tend"
Old 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It's way too much work first, to misrepresent yourself and then, to remember the misrepresentation.
Exactly, or as my mother put it "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive".

Since I'm not smart enough to keep all my lies straight it all eventually falls apart so I don't try anymore.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I read this as "You shouldn't drink too much of the stuff you make. "
Or he's escalated from brewing to distilling.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
Administrator

I don't really care if people here are telling the truth or not. Even if we sometimes end up responding to an entirely fictitious scenario, we can still learn from each other's responses. I also have observed people who ask a question but already know the answer they want and seem merely to be seeking validation. I don't view it as a waste of time to answer, for even if the OP doesn't want to hear it, others might legitimately have that same question but have not yet gotten to the point of asking.

And, Ha, I think your friend should share the wealth.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I don't really care if people here are telling the truth or not. Even if we sometimes end up responding to an entirely fictitious scenario, we can still learn from each other's responses. I also have observed people who ask a question but already know the answer they want and seem merely to be seeking validation. I don't view it as a waste of time to answer, for even if the OP doesn't want to hear it, others might legitimately have that same question but have not yet gotten to the point of asking.
This is a very good point. I've learned a lot from this site, often from answers to what could've been a fictitious posting/question.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
And, Ha, I think your friend should share the wealth.

James Garner had a good line for this in the film Murphy's Romance (probably good for New Year's Eve, too):

"Next time someone asks, just say 'yes'".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote