Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, the "experts". Those are the guys that stripped and over tightened the 5 screws in the OP's air cleaner housing. More often than not, automotive "experts" are not changing filters or doing oil changes in the shops anymore.
Gee, I never had the slightest problem. But then, how would I know the screws were over-tightened? They'd be the ones removing them next time, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Gee, I never had the slightest problem. But then, how would I know the screws were over-tightened? They'd be the ones removing them next time, too.
Unless they don't and charge you for a filter. Jiffy Lube was taken to the cleaners on this exact thing a few years ago, I'm not saying all shops are sloppy or dishonest, but there are lots of examples. That's why many of us do our own basic car maintenance.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We not only wouldn't know if the screws were over or under tightened, we wouldn't know what an air filter looks like or where it goes. Things we choose not to have to know about. Not all of us are or were good at things like cars.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We not only wouldn't know if the screws were over or under tightened, we wouldn't know what an air filter looks like or where it goes. Things we choose not to have to know about. Not all of us are or were good at things like cars.
+1 !!!

There are more important things to do with my time these days.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Unless they don't and charge you for a filter. Jiffy Lube was taken to the cleaners on this exact thing a few years ago, I'm not saying all shops are sloppy or dishonest, but there are lots of examples. That's why many of us do our own basic car maintenance.
DW came home with the air cleaner ripped off on her old Wrangler sucking dirt. We lived on a dirt road, the guy knew enough to try to say they didn't do it. They eventually reimbursed me but I check everything possible about the work and the shop.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
DW came home with the air cleaner ripped off on her old Wrangler sucking dirt. We lived on a dirt road, the guy knew enough to try to say they didn't do it. They eventually reimbursed me but I check everything possible about the work and the shop.
Well I am speechless. Maybe shop around? Honestly it's not THAT hard to find a place that is willing to change an air filter properly. At least not here in Louisiana it's not.

If I thought that the only possible way to get a filter changed properly in my community was to do it myself, I'd move to someplace more reasonable.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I am speechless. Maybe shop around? Honestly it's not THAT hard to find a place that is willing to change an air filter properly. At least not here in Louisiana it's not.

If I thought that the only possible way to get a filter changed properly in my community was to do it myself, I'd move to someplace more reasonable.
There's a lot of folks in the business, some are good, some not. This owner turned a store over to an inept kid. In fairness the design stunk, still no reason to lie about the damage.

I'm very cautious about any oil change and all shops, many are a major ripoff. There's a big name tire place who told me several years ago my six month old battery was shot. Five years later I sold the truck still had the old shot battery.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'm very cautious about any oil change and all shops, many are a major ripoff...
+1

If you are lucky, all that costs you is just money for unnecessary work. If you are unfortunate, on top of the extra money, your car gets damaged. 'Nuf said.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..........If I thought that the only possible way to get a filter changed properly in my community was to do it myself, I'd move to someplace more reasonable.
How do you know it has been done right? Unless you physically check, you don't know if they really changed the filters, didn't strip the drain plug, didn't leave an opening in the air system for the engine to suck dirt.......

I do my own work on my car but take my DW's car in. I've had it overfilled, a double (leaking) gasket left on the oil filter, access panels not correctly reinstalled - all at different places. It is a low paid, low skills job and a good place today might ruin your engine tomorrow.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I went to Jiffy Lube to get an oil change in our 150,000 mile Acura. They tried to sell me "high mileage" oil. I said no - regular oil is fine. They found a parking light bulb burned out and told me it would cost $60 to fix it. I said no - I can get 2 bulbs for $10. They double-checked their price and found that it was really $12 to fix instead of $60. So I had them do it.

I used to take my car and truck to a Mobil1 oil change place until I found a tube of grease sitting on the air filer cover the next time I opened the hood. I think I'll do my own oil changes from now on.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Dealers charge a lot of money, and you would think they are better.

My son brought in his Audi S4 for them to look at something that might be under warranty. The mechanic took it for a drive, and managed to scrape the front spoiler on a curb that my son only discovered afterwards. He had them repaint it, and never came back there.

How did the mechanic scrape the spoiler on a parking curb? Stopped by a doughnut shop on his test drive?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

If you are lucky, all that costs you is just money for unnecessary work. If you are unfortunate, on top of the extra money, your car gets damaged. 'Nuf said.
Exactly. They let DW drive it home, on dirt roads, with zero air filter! No know damage since I spotted it, but I understand air filters are a good idea.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dealers charge a lot of money, and you would think they are better.

My son brought in his Audi S4 for them to look at something that might be under warranty. The mechanic took it for a drive, and managed to scrape the front spoiler on a curb that my son only discovered afterwards. He had them repaint it, and never came back there.

How did the mechanic scrape the spoiler on a parking curb? Stopped by a doughnut shop on his test drive?

Kind of like DW's Acura. In for an oil change and maybe brakes etc, the 16 year old intern took the car for a post maintenance test drive. Collided with another 16 year old intern driving a propane truck. Propane company paid for the repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Eh, while we are sharing anecdotes, I've got a few more.

My daughter took her car to an oil-change place. They insisted that her brakes were worn out and unsafe. She was so scared, but still asked me for advice before agreeing to it. To convince her, I pulled off the wheels and showed her how thick the brake pads still were. Told her not to come back there. So, she bribed her brother to do the oil changes. She's married now, so I think her husband is doing it.

My BIL had some tire work done, but it was not Costco or Discount Tire. They torqued the lugs so tight with an impact wrench that they were stripped and damaged the next time the wheels had to be off. All new lugs had to be pressed in. Did not go back there to claim, except to yell at them, because he could not prove it.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, there are small and honest shops out there.

The above BIL eventually found an honest small independent shop by word of mouth. He always takes his cars there, even if it is 30 miles away.

When the AC in my car broke, I was not in good health, so did not even think of replacing it myself. That place quoted a very reasonable price to replace the compressor, the condenser, the accumulator, expansion valve. He also replaced the cabin air filter.

He later complained about extra work due to having to work around the after-market towbar that I installed (this is the toad for the RV), and wanted an extra $75 for the unanticipated labor. I had no problem paying that, because I knew that the accumulator was in a terrible spot even without the towbar blocking it.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Removed the tire on my 2014 Camry and found four of the five lug nuts stripped. The shop I use to have the car inspected must have over torqued the nuts. I use this shop all the time and I'm going to have to have a talk with the owner next time I'm in. Can't do a NY State safety inspection by myself.

$50 for filters? Are they high performance type like a K&N? Does anyone have anything to say about high performance filters, are they worth the extra$$$?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post

$50 for filters? Are they high performance type like a K&N? Does anyone have anything to say about high performance filters, are they worth the extra$$$?
You can find independent test reports on K&N filters vs. OEM ones and the results do not favor the K&N.

One more thing about K&N is that the filter mesh requires a periodic "oiling" WITH ONLY their oil. Most folks don't know that. If you over oil (spray on) the oil, there is a good chance you will screw up your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor which is in the path to the engine intake. Messing that up will sometimes throw a "check engine light" and/or cause poor engine performance. A new MAF can be hundreds of dollars if it can't be salvaged through solvent cleaning. Want to take a chance?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Eh, while we are sharing anecdotes, I've got a few more.

My daughter took her car to an oil-change place. They insisted that her brakes were worn out and unsafe. She was so scared, but still asked me for advice before agreeing to it. To convince her, I pulled off the wheels and showed her how thick the brake pads still were. Told her not to come back there.
I got very angry last week when I took my 2014 Jeep in for a recall, <30days past warranty. They told me I needed to do "maintanance", which I declined as I am an engineerd and do my own auto work except for programing changes. Also the TSB (technical service updates) were out of warranty and I would have to pay them to flash multiple updates not being addressed when they flash the computer for the recall..

I then got a call that my radiator now had a leak and they could do a change for $1500. I declined, looked up a new radiator for <$100 and thought I would swap it out myself if a plastic weld would not work. Their "service" manager called me insisting this was a big problem and they could contact Chrysler for extending the warranty, but I still needed to pay them for "maintenance" or pay a huge part of the repair. Of course I declined, but how many poor folks get screwed by these dealerships? They stated I needed to flush my 3 year old brake fluid, and perform a full fuel injector cleaning, including a through chemical cleaning of the throttle plate.

As many know, the brake fluid is changed/flushed when there is evidence of moisture, typically during a brake job, but not until many years. What really fumed me was their insistence on the fuel injector cleaning. You see....the throttle plate can not, and should not ever be chemical cleaned. Chrysler states it should only be changed out and never attempted cleaning or it would void the engine warranty.

Needless to say, my radiator is fine. The coolant was 1 quart low due to evaporation, which should only be topped off with distilled water. The system has HOAT antifreeze, typically good for more than 5 years.

The entire experience was a scam to create work for their dealership at my expense. I only hope others on this forum are savvy enough to know better, or at least can learn a bit from this attempted rip off.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
The attempt ....
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The attempt ....

Those cabin air filters are all exorbitantly priced in my experience. I only change them when my dealer has a special.
DD moved across state line where they require an annual safety inspection. She has an intermittent head light that goes out every 6 months. Bulb is $15 but the bumper cover has to be partially removed ( only takes 15 minutes after you've done it a few times). Those plastic parts and fasteners will only come apart so many times before they deform. After getting it apart the old bulb worked fine so I checked the circuit and cleaned out some connectors. I downloaded a copy of the inspection form and checked all lights horn wipers spare etc. DD was misinformed by DMV about the deadline for the inspection and got $50 ticket for no sticker. She went to nearst dealer to get the sticker which only costs $16 but they found the bulb for the license plate was out (I didn't check that one!) and charged her $5 for the bulb and $35 for labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
The entire experience was a scam to create work for their dealership at my expense. I only hope others on this forum are savvy enough to know better, or at least can learn a bit from this attempted rip off.
Dealers love recalls and warranty work because it brings in the chickens to be plucked.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote