Join Early Retirement Today

The attempt ....
Old 07-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The attempt ....

YouTube is a wonderful thing .. So you want to change the air filter and cabin air filter in your 2005 CRV. BAM there's a guy changing them with one hand - the other hand for the camera. It looked easy so the Mrs and I drove over to the local PEP Boys and found air cabin filter and air filter $50. I get home it's 90 plus outside and I get at it...

There are 5 screws holding the plastic cover down for the air cleaner. Except time has done its horrible magic...the Phillips head is stripped in one of the bolts and the rest are seized. I get out the Rachet set and the first one unscrews and I'm thinking here I am Mr Manly Burly Mechanic. I start turning the second screw and it turns and turns The fourth comes off with a fight-- yeah. I drop the Rachet into the dark confines ...The fifth is in the back and under the Brake master cylinder and is a 'chore' to get at. The head is stripped. I drop the tool again. Off to Sears and I buy some open ends (7MM, 8MM 5/16), a mirror on a telescoping pole and a device to retrieve tools from the abyss. finally the cover comes off - the first screw simply broke in half the one pulled right out of the bottom. Three hours later I finally I get it replaced. I don't remember sweating so much as a kid.

I'm thinking next time
Penetrating oil, anti cease and easy outs (for those who know for others don't ask)

The cabin air filter is a snap too because that's what one of the plastic clips on one side that hold the glove compartment from opening too wide did: snap. But the filters are in and now I know why they haven't been trying to sell me I new air filters when I get the oil changed. Now I remember Brittle plastic thats why I sold the car ..

There was a time when your air cleaner was only a wing nut away, and the parts were real metal. I miss those days.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

When was the last time you changed or had the air filter changed?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

I feel your pain, Ray. And $50 for 2 air filters is highway robbery. What a racket. If it makes you feel any better, when I get around to changing the spark plugs in my Nissan Versa, I get to..... drum roll...... remove the intake manifold just to get at them.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
...I get home it's 90 plus outside and I get at it...

... Three hours later I finally I get it replaced. I don't remember sweating so much as a kid.
When it gets hot like right now (108F here), I stay inside and do things like upgrading my PCs to Win 10.

It takes even longer than 3 hours, and there's some frustration, but at least I am doing it in air conditioning.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The attempt ....
Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

The attempt ....

So when was the last time we changed the filter...

In truth I'm not sure... It's my daughters car and all it has required are infrequent oil changes so I thought I got it changed when I get the car serviced. But you've got a good point I should know. That car got a new alternator a few months ago but other then that and new tires -for the past 3 years it's been a college parking lot queen.

The filter was not really dirty when it came out neither were the cabin filters. We are pretty religious about the oil changes ...every 3k miles.

Trust me we will pay more attention going forward. I feel guilty that old gal has a 116k miles and all we've done other then the normal stuff was the alternator...

Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I feel your pain, Ray. And $50 for 2 air filters is highway robbery. What a racket. If it makes you feel any better, when I get around to changing the spark plugs in my Nissan Versa, I get to..... drum roll...... remove the intake manifold just to get at them.
Hmmm. Maybe I should head back over to the electric car thread.....
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

See, those of us who might be concerned about declining spending as we age, can take heart. There are some very nice ways to use extra money after we get to a certain age.

One of the things we can do, is pay to have these filters changed out by an expert, as we relax and stay cool in this hot weather.

OK, I do that but I still can't bring myself to hire a housekeeper. Some day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
The attempt ....
Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

The attempt ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
See, those of us who might be concerned about declining spending as we age, can take heart. There are some very nice ways to use extra money after we get to a certain age.

One of the things we can do, is pay to have these filters changed out by an expert, as we relax and stay cool in this hot weather.

Trust me that thought occurred to me...

Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:

I have had a guy mow and whack the lawn for years because of the hours I w*rked but I have made a solemn vow to my wife that when we downsize we will replace the lawn guy with a housekeeper. Even though I have picked up a few of the housekeeping chores since I retired I find them just as distasteful as lawn care.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The attempt ....
Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #10

The attempt ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I have had a guy mow and whack the lawn for years because of the hours I w*rked but I have made a solemn vow to my wife that when we downsize we will replace the lawn guy with a housekeeper. Even though I have picked up a few of the housekeeping chores since I retired I find them just as distasteful as lawn care.

I like mowing the lawn on my John Deere ... It is the only true bling for those in the know....
I can see the drivers Deere envy in every single car that passes by. Guys in 'work pickups trucks just give me the nod.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yeah Baby!

I'm gonna get the lawn removed and xeriscaped with some kind of rock garden stuff and then hire maids -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I hired a yard guy last time someone rear ended me in 2010. Next home has no real lawn care needs. Don't think DW will go for help but I'm game.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I hired a yard guy last time someone rear ended me in 2010. Next home has no real lawn care needs. Don't think DW will go for help but I'm game.
I went the other way, and had everything but grass removed from my yard after moving into my dream house. All I have to do is pay my lawn guy when he comes by, and he mows, edges, and takes care of everything for me. So, no yard work for me at all for the rest of my life.

I have a raised planter up on the porch where I can sit by it and garden, if I feel the need to grow something. So far, nope...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

My rear passenger side power window broke. After some google and you-tubing I thought I'd attempt to fix it. Taking off the door panel turned out to be much harder than the you tube video showed. I gave up when the plastic piece that was supposed to "pop out" remained firmly in place. Once the door panel is off - it's a straightforward fix - a piece came out of it's guide.

I asked my stdealership to look at it. They wanted $500.

Since the other three power windows work fine I fixed it the kludge way. - put electrical tape over the controller at that door and at the driver door. Problem solved.

If the car were new, perhaps I would have spent the $500... but it's an 11 year old highlander and I never sit in the backseat.... so it doesn't bother *me*.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #15

I changed the air filter, cabin filter, and a burnt out brake light on my 2008 Corolla (17 y.o. daughter drives it) for about $30 last week, and I have a spare light bulb in the glove box now (the bulbs were 2/pack). It took about 15 minutes, because I took the time to train my daughter and 16 y.o. son. Of course, I was raised in my Dad's service station. Oh yeah, the Toyota dealership wanted $130 to do these.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I too feel the pain. A few months ago, on a sunny but cold Saturday, I set out to change the oil in my wife's MINI. It had been under the service warranty for all the prior oil changes, so this was the first one I did at home

To get to the oil filter first requires removing the windshield washer fluid reservoir. Then, it requires a special 27 mm socket to unscrew the top of the oil filter housing (it takes a donut-like insert for an oil filter). So I take the other car to two different auto parts stores to get the socket. Finally, I score the socket and come home and, after much contortion of my arms, scraping of my knuckles and copious amounts of swearing, take the filter cap off, which I promptly drop on the cement floor. And, being plastic, it of course breaks.

Naturally, the auto parts stores don't carry that part, and the dealer parts department is closed on Saturday and Sunday. I figure I might as well order the part online with expedited delivery. One week and about $40 later, I finally get the new oil filter housing cap and finish my oil change.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting what we look at on YouTube. I had a total knee replacement six weeks ago. Today I watched the surgery on YouTube (not my actual surgery, some guy on a gurney.) I'm sure thankful for the sleeping drugs they gave me and thankful I didn't watch the video before my surgery. Not real sure I'd have gone thru with it. But it didn't scare me off from scheduling my next knee in a couple months.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Changing the air filter on my Taurus requies unsnapping 2 spring clips and putting in a new one. Time, 1 minute.

Check the owners manual on the oil, it's probably more than 3000 miles but there is a one year limit too.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
You tube freezer action
Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #19

You tube freezer action

We brought a new Maytag refrigerator with a bottom freezer. I asked the delivery man to remove the icemaker since we do not use it and needed the extra space. He said it was wired in and would not do it. After he left, I removed the 2 screws holding it and pulled out the plug. Done!
The bigger problem was the freezer basket had a cross piece that we wanted to remove. Back to Youtube. There was a guy called the Appliance Genie that was fantastic! He showed how to do it and to push up the little pins to disconnect the basket from the track. I would have never figured it out.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes, the "experts". Those are the guys that stripped and over tightened the 5 screws in the OP's air cleaner housing. More often than not, automotive "experts" are not changing filters or doing oil changes in the shops anymore.