Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The back nine, Sunday, at The Masters!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The back nine, Sunday, at The Masters!

If there is anything better in golf, I can't imagine what it would be. Truly the pinnacle IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
If there is anything better in golf, I can't imagine what it would be. Truly the pinnacle IMO.
Actually I have enjoyed too much of it. I don't watch a lot of tv except sports and I have pretty much watched all the first three rounds. I am usually out in Vegas this week and love betting daily pairings. I would have made some good scratch yesterday watching Freddy fold. I was rooting for him, but he just can't put three good rounds together on a difficult long course like this at age 53. I look for Snedeker and Scott to stay near the top most of today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Snedeker win. His nerves have really toughened up over the past year. I don't know if Scott's putting will hold up enough to win.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree the most exciting back nine anywhere.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

DH gets so frustrated with the Golf Channel's commentators, too much bs talk and too little time with cameras on the players.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Wow, what a great 18th hole for those two. On to the play off!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Congrats Adam Scott, the wizard of Oz !
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Ban the bellyputter!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Ban the bellyputter!
Looks like they are going to. But there is a lot more wrong with equipment than just long putters. The players in general are stronger today, but a lot of the extra yards they are getting is though hot golf balls and better clubs. Old classic courses are becoming obsolete. Pros are just hitting drivers and wedges on those courses.

But enough of that. That has been debated to death of golf forums. I am glad Scott won especially after last years heart break at the British Open. Make that the 'Open Championship' for the traditionalist.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #9

Amazing putts by Adam Scott regardless of the putter. Either could have won. Luck of the draw I suppose.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #10

I was lucky this year and got to go to a practice round at Augusta. My first time ever. I guess you could say this was on my bucket list, to just see the place and experience its beauty. We lucked out with the weather and the colors were in full bloom. Been waiting for years to get tickets through the lottery and finally made it this year. Every golfer should try to see the place just once.

I watched the Masters from start to finish on TV just like I do every year. It's the one tournament I won't miss. I am very happy for Adam Scott and was kind of pulling for him after what he went through last year.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Great back nine and extra holes I thought Angel was in the driver's seat when Scott missed the green on the first playoff hole but he missed the opportunity. Scott made some great clutch putts for the win.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Ban the bellyputter!
And DQ Tiger.

No reason he should get an eraser for his scoring pencil to avoid DQ after publicly admitting to violating common Rule to his advantage (where to drop after hitting into water hazard) but not adding the appropriate 2 shot penalty to his day's score.......until after he got caught

But that should not overshadow the great drama by Scott & Cabrera down the stretch.
Darn shame either one had to lose. But good to see Scott come back after his collapse at the British Open.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
And DQ Tiger.

No reason he should get an eraser for his scoring pencil to avoid DQ after publicly admitting to violating common Rule to his advantage (where to drop after hitting into water hazard) but not adding the appropriate 2 shot penalty to his day's score.......until after he got caught

But that should not overshadow the great drama by Scott & Cabrera down the stretch.
Darn shame either one had to lose. But good to see Scott come back after his collapse at the British Open.

Except that he might not have even deserved a two stroke penalty....

Y! SPORTS

The Augusta Chronicle on Sunday printed two photos by staffer Michael Holahan of Woods' two chip shots from the 15th fairway. The first hit the flagstick and rolled into the water, forcing Woods to take a one-stroke penalty and then drop his ball "as nearly as possible" to his original location.
The Chronicle circled various divots in the 15th fairway to show Woods' second shot was in almost the exact same location as the first.
While the photos may not be conclusive evidence and they will no doubt be picked apart, Tiger does appear to be standing within inches of where he took his first shot, not the two yards that he himself thought he had moved.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was a great back nine and finish too. I thought Jason Day was going to win it, but he slipped and Scott & Cabrera both provided a lot of drama on the last three holes they played (final hole & 2 playoff holes).

I was at the 1989 Masters for Sat & Sun, Faldo won in a playoff. I will never forget those two days, it's a magical place, and television does not begin to do the terrain justice - it's an unbelievable place. Augusta National is one of the few places I can think of more manicured than a Disney theme park.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Except that he might not have even deserved a two stroke penalty....

Y! SPORTS

The Augusta Chronicle on Sunday printed two photos by staffer Michael Holahan of Woods' two chip shots from the 15th fairway. The first hit the flagstick and rolled into the water, forcing Woods to take a one-stroke penalty and then drop his ball "as nearly as possible" to his original location.
The Chronicle circled various divots in the 15th fairway to show Woods' second shot was in almost the exact same location as the first.
While the photos may not be conclusive evidence and they will no doubt be picked apart, Tiger does appear to be standing within inches of where he took his first shot, not the two yards that he himself thought he had moved.
Except that he (Tiger) clearly said he moved back 2 yds for his drop in direct violation of Rule 26-1a. That he did so is backed up by fact his caddy stayed back near his original sport while Tiger surveyed the drop area, and CBS photo of his next shot.
Tiger Woods assessed two-stroke penalty for drop on No. 15 Friday - CBSSports.com
I'm no forensic expert, but I find CBS photo more convincing that those from Masters' hometown newspaper.

In any event, I find it impossible to believe that these pros who play 100's of rounds/yr could not know this Rule (water hazard drop procedures) cold. Someone hits in the water somewhere during most rounds. Makes one wonder how many other times over the yrs that pro golfers (inc Tiger) have conveniently mis-interpreted common Rules in their own favor.

Golf-the game of honor
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier

Except that he (Tiger) clearly said he moved back 2 yds for his drop in direct violation of Rule 26-1a. That he did so is backed up by fact his caddy stayed back near his original sport while Tiger surveyed the drop area, and CBS photo of his next shot.
Tiger Woods assessed two-stroke penalty for drop on No. 15 Friday - CBSSports.com
I'm no forensic expert, but I find CBS photo more convincing that those from Masters' hometown newspaper.

In any event, I find it impossible to believe that these pros who play 100's of rounds/yr could not know this Rule (water hazard drop procedures) cold. Someone hits in the water somewhere during most rounds. Makes one wonder how many other times over the yrs that pro golfers (inc Tiger) have conveniently mis-interpreted common Rules in their own favor.

Golf-the game of honor
Although I am not a real Tiger fan, I personally don't have an issue with the result. Using the rules of golf to suggest he should be disqualified, can also be used to support the decision to allow him to play, as that is the reason why he wasn't. As far as just the realm of honor, sans the rules, I think that Tiger was certainly not dishonest. If he was being dishonest he sure wouldn't have unsolicitedly on national TV stated what he did. In fact, because of his honesty with the officials the following day, really was the reason he was assessed the penalty. Because of his honesty and the fact he brought it up on tv was the only reason he was penalized as the committee had already determined after a viewer call in that he in deed did not violate the rule.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Because of his honesty and the fact he brought it up on tv was the only reason he was penalized as the committee had already determined after a viewer call in that he in deed did not violate the rule.
The committee must have been looking at the local newspaper photo because the CBS camera angle clearly showed he dropped too far back. To me that is where they messed up, or conveniently messed up to keep him in the tournament.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There were several factors that caused all the controversy:

1)Unlike most PGA tour events, there are not officials on the course. Tiger probably would have called one over if wasn't sure. Most courses do not play yellow stakes. Tiger still could have asked for an official, but did not.

2)Gotta love golf. Some guy calls in from his easy chair and tells the Masters folks of the rule violation. Heck, if its that easy to get through to the MAsters clubhouse, I'm going to make a tee time today........

3)When Tiger signed the scorecard, the Masters officials accepted it as a good scorecard. Only later did they review some video and see the error. That was why they did the 2-stroke and not a DQ.........

4)I don't put a lot of weight into camera angles at golf tournaments. Those cameras are high up in towers and have strong telephoto lenses that distort the view.......

5)Tiger could have still DQ'd himself, as some pros called in and said. If this would happen at the PGA Championship, Tiger would have DQ'd, under PGA tour rules. However, the rules as the British Open (Royal Ancient rules) and the Masters don't necessarily follow all rules to the letter.........

I'll be we will see rules officials on the course at the MAsters next year AND NO yellow stakes..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
There were several factors that caused all the controversy:

1)Unlike most PGA tour events, there are not officials on the course. Tiger probably would have called one over if wasn't sure. Most courses do not play yellow stakes. Tiger still could have asked for an official, but did not.

2)Gotta love golf. Some guy calls in from his easy chair and tells the Masters folks of the rule violation. Heck, if its that easy to get through to the MAsters clubhouse, I'm going to make a tee time today........

3)When Tiger signed the scorecard, the Masters officials accepted it as a good scorecard. Only later did they review some video and see the error. That was why they did the 2-stroke and not a DQ.........

4)I don't put a lot of weight into camera angles at golf tournaments. Those cameras are high up in towers and have strong telephoto lenses that distort the view.......

5)Tiger could have still DQ'd himself, as some pros called in and said. If this would happen at the PGA Championship, Tiger would have DQ'd, under PGA tour rules. However, the rules as the British Open (Royal Ancient rules) and the Masters don't necessarily follow all rules to the letter.........

I'll be we will see rules officials on the course at the MAsters next year AND NO yellow stakes..........
1) The way I understand the tournament and what I heard by announcers is that there are rules officials on course. They are just not on every hole, nor have they ever been to my knowledge. Remember is was a rules official on course who assessed the 14 yr. old the slow play penalty on Friday.
2) I always wondered how much trouble I would get in by jumping over the compound wall and getting a few holes in before I got arrested for trespassing.
3) from my understanding of events the officials had already reviewed the alleged infraction shortly after hole was played. They had already determined he had not violated the rule prior to signing scorecard. Only after his post round comments were brought to officials attention did they re-open the decision. That is why according to what I had heard DQ was never even an option because of the new rule instituted 2 years ago protecting him from that.
4) I agree who knows
5) Yes, he could have DQ'd himself, but the new rule instituted 2 years actually protects him from this. This rule is in the rules of golf, section 33. This rule is in effect at all tournaments. He would not have had to DQ'd himself in the PGA under the exact circumstances that occurred at Masters. It appears he was catching the "flak" from the old school guys, but that is the equivalent of saying Hank Aaron's 755 HR's shouldn't count compared to Babe Ruth because Babe didn't get an opportunity to DH, in my opinion anyways. Even Faldo finally said later us old guys need to except the fact the times have changed and the rules have too. Major champions Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger, and Andy North had a round table discussion on this on an ESPN link yesterday which still may be there explaining the whole process. They were all in agreement the situation was handled correctly and Tiger should not have DQ'd himself.
I found the link and here it is below. If you have 6 minutes you will find it very informative explaining better than how I wrote it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=916...goryid=2630020
Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
5) Yes, he could have DQ'd himself, but the new rule instituted 2 years actually protects him from this. This rule is in the rules of golf, section 33. This rule is in effect at all tournaments. He would not have had to DQ'd himself in the PGA under the exact circumstances that occurred at Masters. It appears he was catching the "flak" from the old school guys, but that is the equivalent of saying Hank Aaron's 755 HR's shouldn't count compared to Babe Ruth because Babe didn't get an opportunity to DH, in my opinion anyways. Even Faldo finally said later us old guys need to except the fact the times have changed and the rules have too. Major champions Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger, and Andy North had a round table discussion on this on an ESPN link yesterday which still may be there explaining the whole process. They were all in agreement the situation was handled correctly and Tiger should not have DQ'd himself.
I disagree with your contention that the only people who think Tiger should have been DQed are "old school guys" who either don't know or don't agree with the new rule 33-7. I support rule 33-7 but also think that it clearly indicates that Tiger should have been DQed. In my opinion the Masters improperly used the discretion to waive the DQ, apparently for the selfish reason to keep a wildly popular superstar in contention on the weekend.

The reason I think 33-7 clearly mandates a DQ for Tiger comes from links such as the following. Tiger was ignorant of one of the rules of golf, or perhaps forgot it in the heat of the moment. Too bad for him, but both the USGA and R&A clearly say that the DQ penalty applies in his situation. The Masters committee chose to ignore this directive from golf's governing bodies and give Tiger a break. It turned out to be a popular decision, both with the general public and professional golfers, but decisions like this shouldn't be made based on popular opinion.

The relevant passage is
Quote:
In revising the decision, The R&A and the USGA confirm that the disqualification penalty still applies for score card breaches that arise from ignorance of the Rules of Golf. As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules, while recognising that there may be some rare situations where it is reasonable that a player is unaware of the factual circumstances of a breach.
The R&A - R&A and USGA announce new Score Card Rules interpretation
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote