The Bar is Open

RobbieB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Time to get rid of the ashes of the dead.

This etagere is from my deceased mother in law, she displayed her nick knacks on it.

27289807263_bb348c4182_z.jpg

It is a heavy well made item made of bent and welded steel. The shelves are thin regular window glass though, good for ornaments but not anything serious. The thing now has 2 cremation urns as well as nick knacks on it. Since I am planning to store say 40 bottles of booze on it the shelves needed to be stronger.

I love the internet! Ordered up 4 of these;

18" Round Grey Glass Table Tops by Glass Tops Direct

18 inch diameter tempered grey glass slabs a half inch thick. Yeah baby!

And 4 of these;

http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10Ex.../cmL3-stem.htm

Cause this thing is gonna be heavy. The casters will also raise the thing 4 inches and make the bottom shelf easier to access.

Four shelves;

Top - Clears - Vodka, Gin, Tequlia, Rum
Second - Whiskies - Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, Irish
Third - Liqueurs & Brandies - Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Ouzo, Couvoisier, Galiano, Absinthe, Chambord, etc.
Fourth - Big 1.75 liter Jugs for refilling the 750's

This is going to be cool. Easy access, easy to find a bottle and a serious display of a serious booze collection.

I also ordered up a glass ball with a "moon finish" which is kinda cool. Looks "opal", some kind of special coating on ground glass it seems;

27911189041_a5cb8ffde9_z.jpg

Looks better with the topper eh? It all came together yesterday;

28127251206_a19400184c_o.jpg

Pretty cool eh? Lot's of room for more booze too

28057424522_bd04166611_o.jpg

And those heavy duty industrial casters look a lot better with some paint

27546124263_488b76891b_o.jpg

My girlfriend will be over tonight for fresh oysters, spot prawns and Hendrick's martinis!

Booze and guns. Looks like our kitchen!

E.T.A.: That is a nice liquor display/cabinet though.

If that's all the booze you have, you need to get more. :hide:

Seriously, I do not drink that much, so my collection keeps growing as I receive bottles as gift or buy myself as souvenirs, and end up with many half-finished bottles. I should start hitting one bottle and one only until it's gone.

By the way, in your collection I see something common to mine: Courvoisier, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Bailey, Chambord, etc... No Drambuie though.

Heh, there's a small Bombay Sapphire and a big Sapphire. Son of a gun, just like I do.

But only one brand of Cognac, not 6 or 7? And where's Grappa and other eaux de vie? Did you drink them all and have not reordered?

Last edited:
Yes I have room for more - :)

More Cognacs, less Scotch. I only need 1 Scotch Macallan 12.

More Bourbon too, need another "Angel's Envy"

I use Rye to make Manhattans.

It's nice to have a good liquor collection eh?

I am tempted to gather all my collection into a spot to take a photo for bragging, but it takes too much work. It is spread out in many corners of the house, some in the liquor cabinet, but then they overspill to two more, and then the closet, and now the breakfast nook counter. The other day, I recalled a bottle of single-malt Scotch that my daughter got me, and could not find it. I think my wife put it away in a closet somewhere and not remember it. Oh well, I will find it someday.

I drink more wine though. Of course that requires its own rack, which also overspills into the utility room.

Very nice setup, it turned out well. :)

My eye of course is drawn to the rifles. You must be brave, all of mine are in vaults.

_B

Nice. Even the bottom shelf comes with top shelf liquor. Bacardi is still top shelf, right? FYI, try the Bacardi Black. Tastes delicious straight up. Reminds me of whiskey.

Thanks!

I was my girlfriend's idea, get rid of the shelves and have some sort of bar for the booze. This etagere has been here for many years and it now has a "happier purpose"

Yes I also see some sort of hutch with a wine cooler in the future, I like bubbly and it always needs to be chilled and I'm forever forgetting to put it in the fridge, so just a little (say a dozen bottles) thermo electric unit in the hutch where we can also put the fancy bar glasses away from the water glasses in the kitchen.

I have a small house and this thing just rocks for maximum storage, nice display and ease of access in minimum floor space!

Oh, those are all air rifles by the way, not firearms. I keep the real stuff locked up in a safe - :)

Last edited:
Nice! If I drank hard liquor I'd be all over it

I'll have a gin & tonic please.

That sucker is awesome.

I hope the Bailey's is unopened. Otherwise it belongs in the fridge.

BTW, where did you put MIL?

RobbieB your a person with good taste and ideas. You have some of my favs.

Be careful with the Lucid, it's pretty stout.:sly: If you get wild and crazy some of the Chec brands are really good.

Thanks again!

FedEx just delivered my fish, so all is well for tonight.

The Baileys is another reason I need a wine cooler.

Next trip to BevMo I need to get one of those Absinthe spoons so I can do a proper job of melting a sugar cube into it with some water. Yes, it needs to be "cut" a little as it's 124 proof - :)

Uh oh, I never refrigerate my Baileys either. I am still here posting, but should I push my luck?

About the pneumatic rifles, there are some that cost more than real firearms. Are yours of those fancy types?

Last edited:
Bottom shelf needs one small bottle of your favorite so when to drunk to stand you can have more within easy grasp, I speak from past experience.

I hope the Bailey's is unopened. Otherwise it belongs in the fridge.

BTW, where did you put MIL?

I thought the same thing about the dearly departed! Oh well, they won't drink much if they're just back behind some of the bottles.

Really nice re-use of that piece of furniture.

Uh oh, I never refrigerate my Baileys either. I am still here posting, but should I push my luck?

I don't either.

From Baileys website:

"Baileys is the only cream liqueur that guarantees its taste for 2 years from the day it was made, opened or unopened, stored in the fridge or not when stored away from direct sunlight at a temperature range of 0-25 degrees centigrade."

The urns are in a closet now, out of sight.

Good to know about the Baileys!

A little surfing and I ordered up something better than a absinthe spoon, 2 bubble glasses and a grill.

We be stylin' - :)

The urns are in a closet now, out of sight.

Good to know about the Baileys!

A little surfing and I ordered up something better than a absinthe spoon, 2 bubble glasses and a grill.

We be stylin' - :)

They look nice expecially the glasses. For a time Lucid had spoons and glasses in holiday packaging. Their both very lightweight and inexpensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I do not have a bottle of Absinthe. Almost bought one once, but then thought that ouzo and pastis have a similar flavor and will have to do.

From Baileys website:

"Baileys is the only cream liqueur that guarantees its taste for 2 years from the day it was made, opened or unopened, stored in the fridge or not when stored away from direct sunlight at a temperature range of 0-25 degrees centigrade."
Ugh! While my bottle is in a closed cabinet and not in sunlight, I do not drink enough of it so the 2-year limit is surely exceeded. And 25C is 77F, which is cool inside temperature by the local standard. I keep my thermostat at 78F because any lower would leave me with less money for booze.

I do not drink enough of it so the 2-year limit is surely exceeded.

The real issue is that you just don't drink enough Baileys. I never have to worry about an opened bottle hanging around more than a month or two.

I do not drink a lot of liqueur, but more of the harder spirits like Cognac, and gin. I should go look at that Baileys bottle now, and see if I should finish it off.

Back
Top Bottom