Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #21
Administrator

Possibly some of our forum environmentalists might cringe to hear this, but anyway our urban suburb is periodically fogged with insecticide both by truck and by planes. It is WONDERFUL. I have never once been bitten by a mosquito in this suburb, and have never seen or heard of any bad effects from the insecticide. We still have wasp nests, termites, and the occasional water bug or ant invasion, but nothing like what I have seen in other Southern locations.

I think the reason why they insist on such radical mosquito control is that some of the first West Nile cases occurred in our suburb many years ago. We also get frequent commercials reminding us to not ever leave standing water in birdbaths and so on and to check for standing water after it rains. I am confident that our mosquito control will help to prevent any problems with zika.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

we had a bunch of mosquito control in Houston but we had west nile pretty bad back in the day - one of the guys at my golf club got it

Old 06-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
first zika baby was just born in FL
By that I take it you mean the first mother infected with zika that gave birth to a baby with microcephaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think the reason why they insist on such radical mosquito control is that some of the first West Nile cases occurred in our suburb many years ago. We also get frequent commercials reminding us to not ever leave standing water in birdbaths and so on and to check for standing water after it rains. I am confident that our mosquito control will help to prevent any problems with zika.
I hope you're right. Other mosquito-borne diseases, such as malaria and dengue, still continue to plague the world, contained but not eradicated. I suspect we need a vaccine for Zika.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
By that I take it you mean the first mother infected with zika that gave birth to a baby with microcephaly.

Yes, I apologize for the brevity.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
[...]I am confident that our mosquito control will help to prevent any problems with zika.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I hope you're right. Other mosquito-borne diseases, such as malaria and dengue, still continue to plague the world, contained but not eradicated. I suspect we need a vaccine for Zika.
Yes, we do need a vaccine if one can be developed. Also you're right - - now that I think about it, we could get Zika in some other location that doesn't have good mosquito control like what we have, and then come home with it. I don't think I would get it here, because I have never been bitten by a mosquito here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in the Sacramento Area and have had our first reported case of Zika, although the person who contracted it had been traveling in Central America.

My daughter contracted Dengue Fever while on a mission trip to Panama. No cure. There are days when her energy is just zapped.

As to bugs, I don't like spiders. I was visiting a fellow volunteers house when I pointed out a large-ish Black Widow to his wife. I said sorry, but I would have to leave the dispatching to her or her husband. I felt so bad.

Several years ago I was bit by a fire ant. That stung for weeks.

cd :O)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #27

There are talks about eradicating some mosquito species by altering their DNA through crispr + gene driver. One approach is altering the DNA so only male mosquitoes can be born. Due to the propagation that would eliminate a species within a few years.

Wonder if Zika and related outbreaks might help us cross the ethics boundary there.

Always wondered what nature would lose if we got rid of mosquitoes.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
......... One approach is altering the DNA so only male mosquitoes can be born. ..........
No more mosquitoes asking for directions or reading manuals.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #29

Quote:
There are talks about eradicating some mosquito species by altering their DNA through crispr + gene driver. One approach is altering the DNA so only male mosquitoes can be born. Due to the propagation that would eliminate a species within a few years.

Wonder if Zika and related outbreaks might help us cross the ethics boundary there.

Or, engineer males that carry a dominant lethal gene that is suppressed by antibiotics in the lab until you have enough of them to release into the wild. AKA: the Oxitec OX513A mosquito, which is being used in Grand Cayman (and Brazil) right now. Here is a fairly good news article: GMO mosquito: In Zika fight, genes kill the offspring - CNN.com The FDA main page: Oxitec Mosquito Unfortunately, too much fear of "Frankenstein" to release in the florida keys, so far.... Genetically Modified Mosquito Study in Florida to Halt Spread of Viruses Sparks Eco Debate - ABC News
Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

For those that are interested, here's a short Ted talk about this subject: https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_k...er?language=en

This was the first time I heard about gene drives and CRISPR. Interesting technology.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #31

One of the reasons I built this 3-season sunroom off the back of my house was because of mosquitoes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunroom.jpg (498.6 KB, 8 views)