The battle

We are in the Sacramento Area and have had our first reported case of Zika, although the person who contracted it had been traveling in Central America.

My daughter contracted Dengue Fever while on a mission trip to Panama. No cure. There are days when her energy is just zapped.

As to bugs, I don't like spiders. I was visiting a fellow volunteers house when I pointed out a large-ish Black Widow to his wife. I said sorry, but I would have to leave the dispatching to her or her husband. I felt so bad.

Several years ago I was bit by a fire ant. That stung for weeks.

cd :O)

There are talks about eradicating some mosquito species by altering their DNA through crispr + gene driver. One approach is altering the DNA so only male mosquitoes can be born. Due to the propagation that would eliminate a species within a few years.

Wonder if Zika and related outbreaks might help us cross the ethics boundary there.

Always wondered what nature would lose if we got rid of mosquitoes.

......... One approach is altering the DNA so only male mosquitoes can be born. ..........
No more mosquitoes asking for directions or reading manuals.

There are talks about eradicating some mosquito species by altering their DNA through crispr + gene driver. One approach is altering the DNA so only male mosquitoes can be born. Due to the propagation that would eliminate a species within a few years.

Wonder if Zika and related outbreaks might help us cross the ethics boundary there.

Or, engineer males that carry a dominant lethal gene that is suppressed by antibiotics in the lab until you have enough of them to release into the wild. AKA: the Oxitec OX513A mosquito, which is being used in Grand Cayman (and Brazil) right now. Here is a fairly good news article: GMO mosquito: In Zika fight, genes kill the offspring - CNN.com The FDA main page: Oxitec Mosquito Unfortunately, too much fear of "Frankenstein" to release in the florida keys, so far.... Genetically Modified Mosquito Study in Florida to Halt Spread of Viruses Sparks Eco Debate - ABC News

For those that are interested, here's a short Ted talk about this subject: https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_..._change_an_entire_species_forever?language=en

This was the first time I heard about gene drives and CRISPR. Interesting technology.

One of the reasons I built this 3-season sunroom off the back of my house was because of mosquitoes:

Attachments

• sunroom.jpg
    sunroom.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom