Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I too live in Hicksville, but I almost never hear an "uh." This is perhaps due to the large population of transplants who moved here prior to seeing the Gallup poll.

The one time I can count on getting a dose of "uh," is when the guvner speaks.

I have read an article or two where it has been discussed how his pronunciation of the state magically changes based on the geographic location from where he is then speaking from. For me anyways, I don't really notice the EE or UH. What gets me is when I have to hear people say IlliNOISE, or WARSHington.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the backwater too, the other metro area. I took it as both large metro areas don't like the taxes they pay. The other factor for me is the violence you hear about on the metro nightly news. The violence occurs in a few well known areas, places to stay away from, but dominates the nightly news.

It was interesting to see the cigarette tax get turned down. I guess that says alot. Even with the negatives, I like MO. If I compare it with the state I grew up in, that rated higher, I'm glad we escaped.
MRG

Old 04-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

As I sit here on my lanai, I am thinking number 6 on the first list is good.......if you look away at the supermarket checkout cashier....
Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'm in the backwater too, the other metro area. I took it as both large metro areas don't like the taxes they pay. The other factor for me is the violence you hear about on the metro nightly news. The violence occurs in a few well known areas, places to stay away from, but dominates the nightly news.

It was interesting to see the cigarette tax get turned down. I guess that says alot. Even with the negatives, I like MO. If I compare it with the state I grew up in, that rated higher, I'm glad we escaped.
MRG

That is why I believe too much is made of crime statistics. St. Louis always gets a bad rap for murders and makes it sound like an unsafe area. But in reality, it is only a few certain areas that most everyone in the state knows not to venture to. Plus many big cities have annexed their metro areas bringing the rate down. StL has not done that thus distorting the true numbers as most people consider the metro area as part of a city. Or at least many of the rural people like me do.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
As I sit here on my lanai, I am thinking number 6 on the first list is good.......if you look away at the supermarket checkout cashier....
Gazing out on the beautiful, blue Pacific from my LR window, I have to agree on No. 6. If "positives" were all one looked at, I truly believe HI would win in a land slide. It's like all of those "places rated" books and articles. Once you average every category (the "good" and the "bad") some strange things can happen. Still, I understand the negatives of living here - primarily high cost, but also, perhaps (one party) government corruption and non-responsiveness, traffic and, I suppose, rock fever. But, as others have pointed out, there are many things one can do to enhance the positive and ameliorate the negatives. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Gazing out on the beautiful, blue Pacific from my LR window, I have to agree on No. 6. If "positives" were all one looked at, I truly believe HI would win in a land slide. It's like all of those "places rated" books and articles. Once you average every category (the "good" and the "bad") some strange things can happen. Still, I understand the negatives of living here - primarily high cost, but also, perhaps (one party) government corruption and non-responsiveness, traffic and, I suppose, rock fever. But, as others have pointed out, there are many things one can do to enhance the positive and ameliorate the negatives. As always, YMMV.

I for one am jealous, Koolau! When my GF retires in 10 years, we could "afford" to live in Hawaii with a decent house in a fairly decent area based on my math. But it would have to be on terms I am afraid I couldn't hold to. That being BBQing and drinking on the deck at home for entertainment and walks to the beach, with maybe a dinner out once a week. No impulsive trips to Vegas, or ski trips, and probably golfing would have to go... But in my 60s maybe I will slow down enough that wouldn't matter.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I for one am jealous, Koolau! When my GF retires in 10 years, we could "afford" to live in Hawaii with a decent house in a fairly decent area based on my math. But it would have to be on terms I am afraid I couldn't hold to. That being BBQing and drinking on the deck at home for entertainment and walks to the beach, with maybe a dinner out once a week. No impulsive trips to Vegas, or ski trips, and probably golfing would have to go... But in my 60s maybe I will slow down enough that wouldn't matter.

From what I understand Vegas is THE spot Hawaiians vacation to. Go figure! At least you would feel right at home. As far as BBQ and drinks on the Lanai, it might cost 1/3 more as what I recall on the mainland. Just don't own a car, and you can probably cover it. Just thinkin' out loud, here. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That being BBQing and drinking on the deck at home for entertainment and walks to the beach, with maybe a dinner out once a week. No impulsive trips to Vegas, or ski trips, and probably golfing would have to go... But in my 60s maybe I will slow down enough that wouldn't matter.

Don't count on that slowing down. I'm now 10 weeks post hip replacement, 70+ and today I walked just less than 6 miles, up and down hills enough to get 52 floors on my fitbit.

I think people slow down only when they are more or less on the glide path to heaven, or when they have a temporary illness or injury, from which they will usually recover completely. It may be a long glide path. When I was in my 20s I used to bird hunt and rabbit hunt with a guy in his early 80s, and there was no riding around in jeeps.

Ha
Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I'm surprised MN came out at only 61%. Most people, at least here in the Twin Cities, like it here quite a bit. I've been amazed at the number of people born and raised here who have never left and have no desire to do so. No doubt the poll, however, was taken during or right after this very, very hard winter. It certainly was a winter to cast doubts on the desirability of staying here permanently.

And yes it is an area with fabulous biking/nature/walking/parks opportunities.
61% is pretty good in view of extremely cold weather for almost 6 months in a year. I am waiting for spring to come. Agreed with the outdoor recreation.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another totally meaningless Gallup poll, posted here for entertainment purposes only...
Gallup used 4 categories: "the best possible state to live in," "one of the best possible states to live in," "as good a state as any to live in," or "the worst possible state to live in." Imagine how un-newsworthy the story about the percentages who said their state was as good as any, especially if you included the +/- 5% margin of error.

It's easy to write surveys to mislead, easier still to report on the same

>Residents who have the lowest opinion of their states:
>Rhode Island: 18%
>Illinois: 19%
>Mississippi: 26%

Those are the percentages of those who said their state was the best or one of the best, not those who thought their state was one of the worst.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Gallup used 4 categories: "the best possible state to live in," "one of the best possible states to live in," "as good a state as any to live in," or "the worst possible state to live in." Imagine how un-newsworthy the story about the percentages who said their state was as good as any, especially if you included the +/- 5% margin of error.

It's easy to write surveys to mislead, easier still to report on the same

>Residents who have the lowest opinion of their states:
>Rhode Island: 18%
>Illinois: 19%
>Mississippi: 26%

Those are the percentages of those who said their state was the best or one of the best, not those who thought their state was one of the worst.
So true! Good observation. The percentages that thought their state was one of the worst, were:

Rhode Island: 17%
Illinois: 25%
Mississippi: 15%

The only state with a higher percentage than these three (percentage that thought their state was one of the worst, that is) was:

Connecticut: 17%

So, it appears that by either statistic these three states fell close to the bottom of the list.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Don't count on that slowing down. I'm now 10 weeks post hip replacement, 70+ and today I walked just less than 6 miles, up and down hills enough to get 52 floors on my fitbit.

I think people slow down only when they are more or less on the glide path to heaven, or when they have a temporary illness or injury, from which they will usually recover completely. It may be a long glide path. When I was in my 20s I used to bird hunt and rabbit hunt with a guy in his early 80s, and there was no riding around in jeeps.

Ha

That is what I worry about, HA. Plus living with a woman who is known to change her mind frequently. Even if I could limit my activities, I'm not sure she could hold up to the plan. She likes to be on the go and that usually involves spending cash.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
What county to live in?

Here is a view county-by-county:
Best and worst counties to live in?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #34

Why is a state the "best" place to live just because the residents have a high opinion of it?

It's hilarious that TX has a 68% approval rating.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Why is a state the "best" place to live just because the residents have a high opinion of it?

Apparently you missed the initial post on the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another totally meaningless Gallup poll, posted here for entertainment purposes only...

Gallup Poll on Best Worst Places to Live
Or maybe not, and just wanted to get in a little 'state bashing'?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #36

the latter

not that TX isn't a great place to be young, work hard, save $$$ and move somewhere nice - that's what I did
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #37

Looks like that worked out nice - for both of us.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #38

yep 40 years in the 77018

83702 is much more livable
Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree. I think that many Texans polled for this survey must be trying to discourage various undesirables (Yankees, vegans, non gun owners, Californians, people who don't enjoy HS football, non beer drinkers, etc.) from moving to Texas.

No doubt the true number is closer to 98%.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #40

Quote:
yep 40 years in the 77018

83702 is much more livable
Isn't just about anywhere more livable than Houston? And isn't that true of almost every other big city in the US?

I think it's rare when anyone posts "I'm gong to retire and move to Chicago, or LA, or NYC, or any other big city (other than SF if they have the $)".