Join Early Retirement Today
The best career & ER advice we'll ever get...
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
The best career & ER advice we'll ever get...

I haven't even read Marshall Goldsmith's book yet and I'm already starting to like the guy.

"First, take a deep breath. Take a deeper breath. Now, imagine that you are 95 years old and you are just about to die. Here comes your last breath. But before you take your last breath, you are being given a wonderful, beautiful gift: the ability to travel back in time and talk with the person who is reading this column. The 95-year-old you has been given the chance to help the you of today to have a great career and, much more important, to have a great life."

The Best Coaching You Will Ever Get

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
95-year-old W2R: "The most important thing is to NEVER marry. Just pursue your career. You'll be glad you did."

59-year-old W2R: "Sorry! Too late. BTDT, got the divorce, no t-shirt."

95-year-old W2R: "Hmmph. Ok. Well, you should DEFINITELY retire right now. You really want the time more than you want things, and you don't need to wait for that lifetime health coverage because (...something indistinguishable...)"

59-year-old W2R: "Yeah, right? what if I/you got sick?"

95-year-old W2R: "One last thing: wait until 66 to claim Social Security benefits! Bye, now!"

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought the idea was to listen to the older wiser self, and not starting an argument?

Anyway, the article is nice, but not practical in my view. If I were smart, wise, experienced as my 95 year old self, then I would not be needing "his" advices in the first place. If I were not, then I would be listening to my current self, which doesn't do much good.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Damned if you do dammed if you don’t.
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
95 year old martha: Look at this you young twerp, you made it to 95. You aren't going to die tomorrow, so you better plan ahead. BTW, my knees hurt. You might want to drop a few pounds. What happened to going to the gym every day? I glad you ate the string beans for lunch, but lay off the bread.

Before I beam up, I thought you might want to know that the future is in pl. . . .

52 year old martha: **** me, I make it to 95.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
I liked the article, Nords. This reminds me of Covey's "Begin with the end in mind..." from 7 Habits.
"It's not that I dislike people, it's that I'm so tired of them."--Ryokan (Japanese Zen Monk-Hermit)
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
This reminds me of the times I ask myself, "why do you get so wrapped up in what's ahead and not immerse yourself in enjoying right now?" So easy to overlook the riches we have today... family members who are still alive and healthy for instance. Some day they will be gone.

califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote