Join Early Retirement Today

The Best Unusual gifts I have received or Given
Old 12-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Best Unusual gifts I have received or Given

We have all at one time either recieved an unexpected unusual gift that was just outstanding, or given such a gift to another person. What is the best unusual gift you have ever given or received?

One of the best I have ever received was the Clapper (yes, that goofy device that turns things on and off with a clap of the hand). I use it at Christmas when the electrical outlet is buried behind the tree and packages. It make turning on the tree lights so easy!

Years ago, my daughter had friends over for a small party, and while I hung out in my bedroom I kept hearing these odd but different thumping noises. I seemed the young folks were trying different noises to see which ones could get a response from the clapper. What a hoot!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I once received a back scratcher with a metal hand on the end of a telescopic handle. That thing has been around now for about ten years and sits in a table drawer in our family room and gets used all the time. It's used either for our backs or to scratch our cat, who regularly begs for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I got an antique ride on fire truck from my SO . He got it for me because when we were talking about childhood toys I said I used to envy the boys for having ride on fire trucks and that was not considered a girls toy at the time so Christmas morning there it was under the tree . We have a ledge over the entrance that the fire truck resides on .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3316349521.jpg (12.8 KB, 293 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Certainly not the best but it was unusual. My wife's aunt once gave me a can of soup for my birthday all wrapped up in a nice box.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lived in Monterey CA in another lifetime (or so it seems now), and I attended a benefit auction for my son's school and bid on a race car driving course held at the Laguna Seca Racetrack as a Christmas gift for my husband. He was a car enthusiast so he found the school and the driving a blast and said it was the best Christmas present he ever had.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Best gift I was given, was to be given away for adoption.
I didn't realize how wonderful it was until 50 some years later I phoned my birth mother. Had a nice chat.
When I hung up, I realized had I stayed, I would have been extremely lucky to finish high school, probably worked pumping gas, or cutting trees, and be able to walk from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes.
Instead, my life has been so full of love, education, and wonderful opportunities thanks to my adoptive parents (who were not rich).
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I once received a back scratcher with a metal hand on the end of a telescopic handle. That thing has been around now for about ten years and sits in a table drawer in our family room and gets used all the time. It's used either for our backs or to scratch our cat, who regularly begs for it.
I bought one of these at the dollar store recently. I think it cost $2. It's invaluable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2064.JPG (148.3 KB, 20 views)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Best gift I was given, was to be given away for adoption.
I didn't realize how wonderful it was until 50 some years later I phoned my birth mother. Had a nice chat.
When I hung up, I realized had I stayed, I would have been extremely lucky to finish high school, probably worked pumping gas, or cutting trees, and be able to walk from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes.
Instead, my life has been so full of love, education, and wonderful opportunities thanks to my adoptive parents (who were not rich).
What a poignant gift that was! I'm sure your birth mother loved you dearly and was devastated to give you up. She probably didn't have a lot of options in those days. Your adoptive parents gave you a wonderful gift too. So you are doubly lucky!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #9

I gave my parents a hot air balloon ride gift certificate for Christmas one year. They really enjoyed it and made a scrape book out of photos and memorabilia.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The first thing that came to mind was one Christmas I gave my husband tickets for us to take a guided tour to see the elephant seals with their pups on the sand dunes at Ano Nuevo state park. We'd never been there before and elephant seals aren't something we see very often.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I got an antique ride on fire truck from my SO . He got it for me because when we were talking about childhood toys I said I used to envy the boys for having ride on fire trucks and that was not considered a girls toy at the time so Christmas morning there it was under the tree . We have a ledge over the entrance that the fire truck resides on .
That is pretty cool. My wife had always wanted a Lincoln Log set when she
was little so I got her a set early on in our marriage. 35 years later she plays it with our grand kids when they come over.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
gone traveling

One Christmas as a child, my uncle gave me a set of 1920s Lionel trains that had belonged to my Dad. Not sure how my uncle ended up with them, but that was a totally unexpected and wonderful present.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #13

The last few 50 (and 60) yo birthday parties I gave the edition of Life magazine from the day they were born.

Lots of "wows" from the crowd. Everyone enjoyed flipping thru the magazine.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I gave my parents a hot air balloon ride gift certificate for Christmas one year. They really enjoyed it and made a scrape book out of photos and memorabilia.
How great is that! You're very thoughtful.

DW arranged a hot air balloon ride for our 30th wedding anniversary. What a treat that was. Cows, deer, bobcats, and wild turkeys, none of them seemed to enjoy it as much as we did.

It's an experience I hope to remember the rest of my life. The views and perspective were amazing! Didn't hurt that DW had planned our trip to depart from the front of our property!

I should mention that great gift more often to her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Unusual, but not unheard of: Flight in a B-17 bomber. I've been in many bombers throughout my life.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I bought one of these at the dollar store recently. I think it cost $2. It's invaluable.
I see your metal backscratcher and raise you a deer antler backscratcher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1082.jpg (526.3 KB, 13 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I see your metal backscratcher and raise you a deer antler backscratcher
Ya but.....I'll bet your handle doesn't extend!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ya but.....I'll bet your handle doesn't extend!

True, but I got more bang for the buck
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #19

DW loves old cars, in particular 1955 T-Birds. For our anniversary a few years ago I rented a powder blue 55 T-Bird for the day. Drove out route 66 for several hours, top down, enjoying the scenery. Stopped for lunch, drove some more, had dinner at our favorite restaurant, and then home. A very enjoyable day. The best part was driving a 50 year old car cured DW of wanting to own one (almost).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I gave my sister a cord of firewood one year for Christmas and they loved it! Weird gift, but much appreciated.

I got a pony for my 7th birthday, which is surely the best gift in the whole world for a horse-crazed girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clapper