Join Early Retirement Today

The Big Easy is Coming Back!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

The Big Easy is Coming Back!

I think this is good news: New Orleans roars back:

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Or, you could look at it as "Despite all those flooding the area to try to make a buck off the recovery, New Orleans' population still isn't even 2/3rds as big as it was way back in 2005, before the hurricane."

Yeah, I know - - it's encouraging. Don't mean to be so gloom 'n' doomy. I did send the article to Frank with an appropriately Pollyanna'ish comment before you posted it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I spent five days there this month and thought New Orleans looked better than ever. We did the typical tourist things, but got out into some of the neighborhoods also. Couldn't help but see the positive changes happening everywhere. It will continue to come back.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Or, you could look at it as "Despite all those flooding the area to try to make a buck off the recovery, New Orleans' population still isn't even 2/3rds as big as it was way back in 2005, before the hurricane."

Yeah, I know - - it's encouraging. Don't mean to be so gloom 'n' doomy. I did send the article to Frank with an appropriately Pollyanna'ish comment before you posted it.
I can see how someone who lived through it would have complex feelings on the matter, especially with your plans to leave and FIRE just on the horizon.

But considering all the horrors we've been hearing about since the calamity, this trend and our wonderful visit there last month (yes, just the tourist areas) certainly leave me feeling heartened, at least relatively so.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

It is good to hear that it is recovering . I love the city but have been skeptical about visiting .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I can see how someone who lived through it would have complex feelings on the matter, especially with your plans to leave and FIRE just on the horizon.

But considering all the horrors we've been hearing about since the calamity, this trend and our wonderful visit there last month (yes, just the tourist areas) certainly leave me feeling heartened, at least relatively so.
Thanks. In some areas, you wouldn't even know that a hurricane had been here.

From time to time I wonder if we are making the right decision, and we talk about it. I must admit that I envy those who were able to leave after the storm and were not wearing the "golden handcuffs" that have made leaving an unrealistic option for some. At this point, we are moving *to* Springfield as well as away from New Orleans, if that makes any sense. I think it will be decades before New Orleans has completely recovered, if ever. But what it is now, is certainly better than what it was in September 2005.

But meanwhile, the positive aspect of that article (for me) is that maybe the increase in population will help to buoy up our faltering real estate market. We are encouraged and think that volume of sales may be better or at least no worse, when we put our houses on the market in 2010.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Thanks. In some areas, you wouldn't even know that a hurricane had been here.
Perhaps your feelings are rooted in the number of hurricanes you've lived through... and the number of evacuations you've executed.

Many Navy oceanographer shipmates tend to gravitate toward the Slidell area as they near retirement from active duty. In the last few years, though, a lot of them have decided that they don't want to spend the rest of their lives worrying about that particular weather.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love the recovery story! looks like overall everything is fine
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Perhaps your feelings are rooted in the number of hurricanes you've lived through... and the number of evacuations you've executed.

Many Navy oceanographer shipmates tend to gravitate toward the Slidell area as they near retirement from active duty. In the last few years, though, a lot of them have decided that they don't want to spend the rest of their lives worrying about that particular weather.
Yep. Like me and so many others, they've probably experienced enough hurricanes at this point in their lives. Most of those I work with are planning to leave as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yep, Just got back. I thought the city was getting better; not back to normal, but at least they talk about something else other than Katrina. It was hot and humid, of course, but the French Quarter had plenty of tourists. The big annoyance of the whole trip was getting through Baton Rouge. I think a lot of former residents stayed there after the storm.

I did make the mistake of rooting for Texas over LSU in the College World Series. LSU fans are, hmmm, how shall I say this, irrationally exuberant. I barely managed to get out alive. Heh, heh, heh!

I went to Haydel's Bakery on Jefferson Hwy to pick up a cake for a nice lady here in Texas. I am ashamed to admit I had never heard of this place, even though I grew up in NOLA. You might want to visit. What's a little weight gain when you're on a trip?

Haydel's Bakery

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love it. We just saw an eating show where the guy was in New Orleans and I was drooling, he did the oyster challenge at Acme which is usually the first place we go after settling into hotel.

Most drool-worthy was when he was back in the kitchen while they cooked the bbq shrimp at Deanies... maaaaaan.

Last time we where back they didn't have St Charles line open again, I heard that's running. Woot.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think they should turn NOLA into a modern day cross between Pompei and Atlantis. Let it go under water and just have the tourists come to see it through glass-bottomed boats. Maybe Dutch engineers could save a small central core to hold the tourists. It would serve as a friendly reminder of the battle between Man and Nature.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I think they should turn NOLA into a modern day cross between Pompei and Atlantis. Let it go under water and just have the tourists come to see it through glass-bottomed boats. Maybe Dutch engineers could save a small central core to hold the tourists. It would serve as a friendly reminder of the battle between Man and Nature.

That may be one way to make the city really profitable. Instead of the expense running huge water pumps, run sightseeing boats with glass bottoms for fun and profit of course.

Not sure that will happen unless some really big waves totally trash the seawalls.