Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Meh

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Baltimore & Joe Flacco have played way better the last 2 weeks than they did all season, which I believe is an anomaly. Additionally, I don't believe that Baltimore can handle SF's team speed. The best thing that Baltimore has going for them is that the OL is playing as good as it has all season, thanks to some players getting healthy and shuffling to some positions that suit them better.

On the SF side, I don't think it's fully realized by much of the public what a good passer Kaepernick is, and I think that SF's defense is talented enough to effectively shut down Baltimore's offense, which relies almost entirely on Ray Rice and "isolation" routes.

SF wins by 10 or more.

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you ready for some football? Oh I mean..prop bets?

Some of the prop bets:

Beyonce’s Halftime Show Tops The List Of Super Bowl Side Bets CBS San Francisco
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #24

Gonna be tough... If game goes over, will miss Season 3 Episode 5 of Downton Abbey. Had a nap this afternoon to stay up late... 10PM CT.
Missing the Big Party at the clubhouse in FL, but will feel much better in the AM.
Super Bowl party is a two kegger, but have turned into a one mugger, so it's not all bad.
Since the Bears are not in it, should be fairly calm here. SF by 3?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

This is the first Superbowl in many years where I actually care about the outcome, go Niners. So I am just going to stay home and watch the game. Normally, I care as much about the commercial or the Superbowl squares.

Myself and my fellow Intel alums were pysched to see that Niner coach Jim Harbaugh was a fan of Andy Grove, Intel legendary CEO, book "Only the Paranoid Survive". See the WSJ article here I think it would be pretty cool for Andy to get Superbowl champion jersey.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #26

As a side note, if anyone follows the super bowl indicator, it's a win-win. The ravens were the browns which was an original pre-merger nfl team. So both teams are part of the original NFL , the AFL is not in it this year.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #27

New Orleans didn't pay the light bill!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
New Orleans didn't pay the light bill!!!
It was a present for Goodell...
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Good game. I was surprised that the Ravens jumped all over them in the first half.

I'm sure the non-call of the Raven's defensive holding on SF's last offensive play will be talked about for a while. It looked to me like the receiver might have had a good chance at the catch had he not been held.

I wonder if CBS was behind the power outage delay so they could air more commercials?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I was for the 49ers, but nevertheless, what looked like a blow out ending up a thriller.

I can't believe the 49ers didn't use their final time out. I think they should have set up a possible QB sneak but looks like their mind was made up to pass.

Flacco is the real deal and that Boldain (spelling) sure can catch in the clutch.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #31

I have never been good with sports predictions :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
I love San Francisco as a city, so go 49ers !
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Game given evidence that I stayed up to watch entire game. I was greatly neutral in this game, but would have perfered SF to win. Not a Ray Shoot Em Up Lewis fan. Great officiating as well, save that last end zone call, which was shielded from ref's.

Great to see new players, coaches in the game.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
If I were to be "betting" on the game , I'd go with the Ravens... (But, either could win on any given day)
Yesterday was a very good day
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Good game. I was surprised that the Ravens jumped all over them in the first half.

I'm sure the non-call of the Raven's defensive holding on SF's last offensive play will be talked about for a while. It looked to me like the receiver might have had a good chance at the catch had he not been held.

I wonder if CBS was behind the power outage delay so they could air more commercials?

I think it was a good no call...

I was surprised that there was no call for holding on the safety... but the result would have been the same...

As for the 'more commercials'.... they played the same ones over again... it seems they did not account for an extra 30 minutes...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
.....As for the 'more commercials'.... they played the same ones over again... it seems they did not account for an extra 30 minutes...
True, but I'm sure that the got paid (handsomely) for airing them.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Great game ! We went to a VFW to watch the game and enjoy the food and fans.
I wore my JETS Tshirt just for fun.
We were home by the end of the 3rd quarter.

As far as the power outtage goes, perhaps the half-time show strained the power system at the SuperDome.

If the $100 per square football board we bought into has a "reverse" final score prize, Mr B and I will be getting a small windfall very soon.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...If the $100 per square football board we bought into has a "reverse" final score prize, Mr B and I will be getting a small windfall very soon.
DW an I more than doubled our money on our football board. Unfortunately, the amounts were small.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I was mildly pulling for SF & Kaepernick, and they came SO close.

But the Ravens played very well and SF had some costly turnovers, and still almost pulled off an upset. The SF defense was pretty awful in the first half (flimsy secondary coverage & not enough pressure on Flacco), though they did better in the second. I don't like the Ravens in general, but Flacco has improved immensely and the Ravens defense really stepped to the plate on the last two plays, great pressure & coverage.

As for the interference call, the guys on ESPN this morning said the refs 'let the players play' in the Super Bowl and all the players and coaches know it. The refs don't want to overdo it with penalties and risk becoming a factor in the outcome - that makes sense to me. There were other pass interference calls missed IMO based on slow motion replays, so the ESPN guys were probably on the mark (they know more than we do). And though it's not supposed to be a factor, that last throw was clearly uncatchable (in bounds).
Anyway I'm glad we won't have to hear from Ray Lewis again...not a fan. NYT said it best: Lewis is victim and hypocrite, community pillar and obstructer of justice, a God-fearing man who fathered six children with four women. [public image notwithstanding]
YMMV

Note: The only good ad IMO was the Clydesdale pony, loved that one. That goDaddy ad was a funny enough concept with a nauseating execution (you know which once).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Great game ! We went to a VFW to watch the game and enjoy the food and fans.
I wore my JETS Tshirt just for fun.
We were home by the end of the 3rd quarter.

As far as the power outtage goes, perhaps the half-time show strained the power system at the SuperDome.

If the $100 per square football board we bought into has a "reverse" final score prize, Mr B and I will be getting a small windfall very soon.
Hope you get the possible windfall

As for the power outtage, perhaps someone used a penny in the fuse box like the old days
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Hope you get the possible windfall

As for the power outtage, perhaps someone used a penny in the fuse box like the old days
Maybe they used a newer penny (1983 or newer). They are 97.5% zinc. Back in the day, the older penny was made of 95% copper. Maybe the new pennies don't work as well