Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
We're a small employer, but a few years ago we had a nut case. When she was fired, she had the local police department on speed dial. She hit her speed dial and told the dispatcher that she was being forced to leave the premises against her will and wanted an immediate police presence. I went in another room and called the local pd and the dispatcher started laughing her tail off when I told her who I was. She asked me if the person was dangerous, and I said no, and the dispatcher told me to just hold on until she could get an officer over here to make the fired employee leave. AFter the fact, it was funny.

67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Midpack has it right to me. I have a whack for ONE of my bosses who has sabotaged machinery and tried to do so to burn/blind me with chemicals, threatened to "take care of me once and for all" and bragged about urinating in a coffee pot and serving it out. With him, I could fantasize a grand departure.

One nutcase aside, the other people and bosses that I work with would end up having to deal with whatever I did, and after all we've had to go together, I will leave with a departure that is quietly memorable in a good way.
Have you considered calling the police? This isn't just a nutcase - he's dangerous! And what he has done is criminal behavior!

Inside me is a skinny person crying to get out, but I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies
Nuiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have always subsrcibed to the do not burn your bridges approach. Maybe not the most gratifying if you are in a bad work environment, but most likely you will not have any regrets later.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
I dealt with many employees that quit and later (months or years) asked to return, or those with technical backgrounds that went to work for customers or others in the industry and needed to still work with us. How they left was absolutely critical. The most difficult issue they (and we) had to deal with was not the "My boss is an a$$hat and I'm gonna pee on his desk" but the same day notice. As a highly skilled service provider with schedules and customer commitments made months in advance, someone leaving meant a skill that was not covered or a commitment that was exposed. Co-workers had to rearrange their entire schedules to accommodate, often leading to cancelled trips and major inconvenience. The ill will that was created by this was amazing, and many times led to the new employer letting the person go or downgrading their promises. I still remember one former employee who cried in my office when I told him there was no possibility of returning because of the way he left.

The amazing thing was that no matter how many times this happened and how well they were known among the rank and file and even the customers, they still continued.

My exit was almost unnoticed, because I didn't want the typical month long round of good bye parties and I had no intention of creating any hard feelings. It took 4 months to work out some details on my severance after I left and 2 years to finalize an excess tax reconciliation that resulted from my being posted overseas when I resigned. They even invited me to meetings over that period and asked if I was interested in a consulting contract (no!).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
My retirement goal was to have a couple weeks pass by before anyone noticed I was gone.

I guess I succeeded beyond my wildest expectations. It was three months before the Navy's BUPERS ordered in my relief.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was tired of my job situation when I retired, but the company provided a livelihood, and the means for me to achieve FI. My boss treated me very well while I worked for him, but even though I gave lengthy notice and did everything they asked of me, my boss and some others treated me poorly during my last weeks/months.
I think it's tough for managers to treat departing employees the way the departing employees would like. They're trying to cut off the relationship and move on. By definition, that often means not inviting the departing employee to meetings, not asking for his advise or comments, etc. This can seem offensive because the departing employee, of course, is thinking of all the important things he's done to contribute to the success of the team over the time he's been there. I've been through it from both sides and can recall both feeling ignored in my final months and guilty of ignoring others during their final months. But there is a weaning process that has to take place and, by definition, that process is going to make the departing employee feel less needed and less a part of the team.
I tried to leave with class, I held on to the respect of the people I cared about (who I still keep in touch with), and I don't really care what the others thought...YMMV
I did the same thing. There were some days where, after sitting for hours in my office with nothing to do, I felt extremely unappreciated "after all I had done for the company." Meetings were held where I wasn't invited or where my POV was not sought. Prior subordinates who always seemed loyal and attentive barely spoke when we passed in the hall. But, like you, I left with dignity and with a very low key aura to the whole thing. I'm really glad. In retrospect, having been gone since 6/30/2006, I realize there's little else for those staying on to do beside to move on.

You did the right thing. Personally, when I hear these "take this job and shove it" stories, only rarely am I impressed that the departing employees accomplished anything positive and frequently feel they've been jerks.
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The ill will that was created by this was amazing, .
I agree.

Despite having been RE'd for over 5 years, I still get some (although diminishing in number lately) requests to be a reference for former staff and peers. Sadly, I've had to say no to a few who couldn't accomplish the task of "leaving with dignity." And this despite the person being a good employee prior to the resignation process.

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote