Join Early Retirement Today

The biggest, baddest way to quit your job!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The biggest, baddest way to quit your job!

Frustrated workers quit in weird ways

I don't think I will be attempting this, but it may be just what some people here have in mind!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Low class. Count me out.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was at MegaCorp, I had a long-term contract employee for administrative duties. While I was on a business trip, he left me a voice mail message of his resignation. About a week or so after he quit, I discovered that he mailed out a letter to our entire mailing list of approximately 14,000 names, inviting the recipient to participate in a multi-level marketing scheme that he was starting up. The letter went out on my letterhead, supposedly signed by me. The dumb*** even misspelled my name in the signature.

Never got any requests for recommendations for the jerk...wonder why?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When I transferred this summer, I was really, really tempted to leave a few remembrances behind. I did not give into the temptation, but on the worst days at the end it was a great comfort to envision dropping a "steamer" in a desk drawer and breaking the key off in the lock.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

At my previous company it was very common for people to just leave their company equipment on their desk and walk out. The company management treated people so poorly, it seemed like a courtesy for someone to leave with no fuss and no notice. Making a production of it though is not in good taste.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've only quit spectacularly once, but it still gives me great satisfaction.

I worked for a monster of a boss - and because of my workload, I skipped lunch hours, breaks, was forced to do unpaid overtime almost every night and worked 7 days a week. (I know... I was stupid) That was the least of it - he was a sexual predator and I had proof of some of his crimes but the victims begged me not to say anything because they would have been fired. In our small town, people in his position were gods.

I was stuck because my dad was dying of cancer. When my dad was admitted to the hospital where I worked, I took breaks to go visit him. This happened for 5 days in a row. At the end of it all, the monster told me that "he couldn't wait for my father to die so things would get back to normal" in the office. The word "enraged" just doesn't cover what I felt.

Dad died soon afterwards and I was free to leave town. I got another job and left, but before I went...

This was in the days when word processing was just coming out and I was the only one in admin who knew how to work the machine. It had been set up to accept password protection. I coded a 1000-digit password into it with my eyes closed, so all the work I had input in those hundreds of unpaid overtime hours would be frozen forever. I then called every single department head and told them exactly what the monster's plans were for them (he wanted to replace all of them with his cronies). I then called his wife and gave her details of his extra-curricular activities with some of the women at work (his affairs, not the attempted rapes). He lasted about 3 months after I left and could not find another job in his field. I don't feel the least bit of remorse.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nui, please let me know if I offend you even in the slightest. I want to make amends immediately...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I don't feel the least bit of remorse.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

You shouldn't, either. Sounds like your boss was a first-class a-hole who got what he deserved!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nui, please let me know if I offend you even in the slightest. I want to make amends immediately...

Oh... you'll know..... you'll know. mwahahahahahahahaha
Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #10

In about 20 years at Megacorp , I never saw much crazy stuff when people left, but now in govnm't work , A few do go out leaving an "Impression".

A 30+ year middle manager (the guy who hired me) made retirement arrangents with the retirement board , and told no body............ One day he asked his immediate superior to meet with him and the Bureau Chief in 5 minutes in the Chief's office. A few of us were also asked to attend the "Meeting".

The "Meeting" consisted of him dropping his badge, keys, city issued "hardware" and cell phone on the chief's desk , saluting both with one finger and saying 'Bye Bye @^%&*?#!!!!!!!

Much better than the jokes at a normal retirement luncheon , and cheaper too.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who was it that told the story of putting the pocket knife to a guy's throat?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Who was it that told the story of putting the pocket knife to a guy's throat?

I have a bad temper....what can I say
Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
A 30+ year middle manager (the guy who hired me) made retirement arrangents with the retirement board , and told no body............ One day he asked his immediate superior to meet with him and the Bureau Chief in 5 minutes in the Chief's office. A few of us were also asked to attend the "Meeting".

Much better than the jokes at a normal retirement luncheon , and cheaper too.
I would do that just to avoid the retirement luncheon. *shudder* Maybe without the salute.... I like these people
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #15

Communication was improved between the personnel department and the other agencies after this incident. A police officer put in his retirement papers, but said nothing to anyone else.

When he didn't show up for work they called him at home and that's when he told them why he wasn't there. No name-calling, nasty gestures or anything like that, just a quick and quiet exit.

Now the personnel department is required to notify the agency head when anyone puts in their papers for retirement.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was tired of my job situation when I retired, but the company provided a livelihood, and the means for me to achieve FI. My boss treated me very well while I worked for him, but even though I gave lengthy notice and did everything they asked of me, my boss and some others treated me poorly during my last weeks/months. But that didn't make me want to be an asshat in response. I tried to leave with class, I held on to the respect of the people I cared about (who I still keep in touch with), and I don't really care what the others thought...YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The problem with doing something like that and especially with making it publicly available through the internet and social networking based sites... it can get back to future potential employers.

Many employers do internet reviews (especially of social networking sites) as part of the evaluation process for new hires.

It is a dumb thing to do... Company do not want unpredictable employees or employees that might ridicule the company or make the company look negative.

Doing things like that increases the chance the resume gets filed in the trash and never makes it out of HR.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Midpack has it right to me. I have a whack for ONE of my bosses who has sabotaged machinery and tried to do so to burn/blind me with chemicals, threatened to "take care of me once and for all" and bragged about urinating in a coffee pot and serving it out. With him, I could fantasize a grand departure.

One nutcase aside, the other people and bosses that I work with would end up having to deal with whatever I did, and after all we've had to go together, I will leave with a departure that is quietly memorable in a good way.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #19

Over my 30+ year c@reer, I had at least a dozen bosses. Though I can't say I ever became close friends with any of them, there were a couple for which I have fond memories. Most had their good and bad points as all bosses do. Most were fair, at least in their own eyes, which is all you can expect. Some I clicked with and others - just never could connect. Still, for the most part, I can't complain much.

There was one guy who did try to set me up to be fired. He took an instant dislike to me, even before he was my boss. He was very careful to cover his tracks by treating me half-way courteously, etc. Still, I soon found out about his behind the scenes skulduggery. I was able to thwart his efforts (with some behind the scenes help, I'm fairly certain). Eventually he moved on and had a brief meteoric rise. At first it seemed that crushing folks beneath ones feet was the way to the top. But, he made so many enemies by his methods that when he finally screwed up, there was no one to catch him. He was at a high enough level that his departure was not described as a termination, but everyone knew - and no one shed a tear. There was actually talk of a celebration, but nothing ever came of it.

My own eventual departure (related elsewhere) came after a year long discussion of moving me to a position I had little talent for and no interest. I made it clear that I didn't want it. When the word came down, I went to my current boss the day after Labor day and informed him that my last (w*rking) day would be that Friday. I would finish out my c@reer on vacation.

My departure pales in comparison to those in the article (and, may I say it, to that of Nuiloa, heh, heh - good one!). Still, there was a satisfaction in being in a position to just say "No. I don't want to do that, and I'm not going to do that!"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

When I leave my current Mega Corp I will officially be "quitting" because I will not be old enough to be eligible to retire. Part of our process when somebody leaves is an exit interview with HR. I am already working on my letter for that meeting. I don't dislike my current boss or company but there are a few senior leaders who poison the whole workplace and hurt the company morale severly. I plan to lay out in great detail how these couple people are killing the company, including several things they could technically be fired for (against current written policy).

I know it will likely not change anything except make me feel better. But I will at least have my opportunity to uncover and shed light on some of things these couple of folks are doing. I know it will be reviewed and read at fairly high levels in our company so I hopeful if nothing else, it causes our management to look into the acusations and cause the offenders to sweat a little! )