Join Early Retirement Today

"The Boomer Century" on PBS Tonight
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"The Boomer Century" on PBS Tonight

"The Boomer Century" is a two hour show on PBS tonight. Sponsored by Vanguard. Looks like it might be of interest to many of us. http://www.pbs.org/boomercentury/

Coach
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "The Boomer Century" on PBS Tonight
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #2

It says that 1 out 7 Boomers plan on taking SS at age 62 and that 4 out of 5 will keep working after retirement age.

If this turns out to be true, nothing will have to be done to keep Social Security robust. Medicare is a different story.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks interesting. Maybe I should take a nap because it doesnt come on till 10 where I am
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #4

1st hour is gone and the only thing that was obvious is that GW Bush did not learn anything from Vietnam. Those were his drinking days.

Also Ironic that Tony Snow is playing in a rock band the same week he has the return of cancer diagnosed. - Probably end of story for him.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

seems a bit self-aggrandizing. i would imagine previous generations might have produced a similar video if only they had video to film it or the ego to show it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
seems a bit self-aggrandizing. i would imagine previous generations might have produced a similar video if only they had video to film it or the ego to show it.
I agree...the previous generation saved the world....and the boomers brought us divorce, overconsumption, and entitlement....and their kids are brats too.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
....and their kids are brats too.
Yes you are.

Interesting comment from one speaker who predicted the Boomer generation will experience a 'life crisis' in reverse chronological order from their parents and grandparents. The prior two generations experienced difficulties early in their lives (the depression, WWII), and he predicts the Boomer's big crisis will be late in life as they struggle with financial and long-term health problems.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #8

ya. i caught that reverse order too. and then during that struggle, after years of paying for the previous generation's social security, in order to leave great legacy, boomers will be asked to sacrifice their own security and comfort for the benefit of future generations. how oddly fitting for the me generation to leave a boomer legacy of martyrdom.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ya. i caught that reverse order too. and then during that struggle, after years of paying for the previous generation's social security, in order to leave great legacy, boomers will be asked to sacrifice their own security and comfort for the benefit of future generations. how oddly fitting for the me generation to leave a boomer legacy of martyrdom.
Hey, when I signed up for the sex, drugs and rock & roll I didn't see anything about that martyrdom gig. Musta been in the fine print...

Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Hey, when I signed up for the sex, drugs and rock & roll I didn't see anything about that martyrdom gig. Musta been in the fine print...
Don't worry, 78 million people rewriting history in retrospect will be able to cover their asses everything!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
"life is uncertain. eat dessert first"~~ernestine ulmer

Old 03-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
"life is uncertain. eat dessert first"~~ernestine ulmer
And then complain about the bill
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #13

I just finished watching it. Too much history; that part of the 2 hours could have been shortened to 20 minutes or less. So, what do you do about coming problems with social security and medicare? The program reminded me of the coming generational storm. The boomers might work a tad longer but the youngsters are gonna be griping about paying more taxes for all the problems depicted in the program. Was it said that 25 million boomers have a net worth of 1000 bucks or less? I must have been getting my wine refilled and didn't hear that correctly. That's pathetic, if I heard it right, and if it's correct, whose fault is that? Martyrs, indeed!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also thought the show was interesting. I found it interesting that of the five things the host listed to improve ones financial situation and move towards a more secure retirement, he did not mention LBYM. To me that is key. I also like what Julian Bond said about todays young people. The Boomers got out there and agitated for change this group has to do the same.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to OkieTexan

I thought the program was pretty shallow. It was a strain to fill up 2 hours.
Of course, we are going to redefine retirement by working longer.........gag!

I saw some good advice given about financial matters.... reduce credit card debt,
etc. He could have also suggested reducing consumption (LBYM); but I don't think he did. The rest of the content was high on fluff, low on substance.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #16

The one that caught me (even though we all know it to be true) is that in 1940 (? year) that debt (which was mortgage only then) was 22% of household income and it is now 122%... Talk about Living BEYOND Your Means... SPOOKY

Creative mortgages & easy instant credit so improves your lifestyle. I think NOT.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan

Of course, we are going to redefine retirement by working longer.........gag!
You probably mean MANY will work longer. I believe that is true. But a few... probably most on this board will not!

For some reason... I always remembered a story from childhood. The Aesop's fable of the "Ant and Grasshopper". At a young age, I saw a similarity in that fable and how my parents (who had a LBYM approach to finance)... and a conservative approach to life in general. It influenced me.

Those who prepared will be just fine... Those who did not prepare will have to deal with it by working later in life. It sounds like most boomers did not prepare and will have problems generating a suitable income without working.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:48 AM   #18

I only watched the first hour, couldn't stay awake for the rest but it sounds like I didn't miss anything that hasn't been said before.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
I agree...the previous generation saved the world....and the boomers brought us divorce, overconsumption, and entitlement....and their kids are brats too.
Saved the world maybe. But they also championed racism, sexism, homophobia, drunk driving and a host of other joys. The boomer generation reacted negatively to all of that and changed the world
Old 03-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Saved the world maybe. But they also championed racism, sexism, homophobia, drunk driving and a host of other joys. The boomer generation reacted negatively to all of that and changed the world
Yup I agree!

- And another thought that occured to me were the folks that were born from about 1933-1943, had the best of both generations. They didn't have to live through the depression, fight in WWII, most were too old for Vietnam. They Still got pensions and healthcare from MegaCorp and are now collecting SS.

I know a lot of these guys, I talk to them everyday - and most of them agree with me on this. We also all agree that we would not want to be a kid today with global labor competetion.