Join Early Retirement Today

The Case Against Remarriage
Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Case Against Remarriage

the-case-against-remarriage: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Also take a look at the comments. It seems that an article giving the advantages of avoiding remarriage, also for men at least is a good tutorial on why one should perhaps avoid marriage altogether.

I enjoyed being married, but when I got divorced I had not one moment's doubt that I would be forevermore single. I just don't like playing with a stacked deck. I am more lonesome single, but also more free.

I had dinner a few nights ago with a 40 year old guy in my building who is very attractive to women, but says he would never even consider marriage. (I know he is attractive to women because I sometimes see the lookers leaving his aprtment on Monday mornings.) His current GF, an 8th year neurosurgery resident, is very pretty, and obviously smart and will be very high earning starting next year.

My friend is a union negotiator, who was formerly an Ivy League philosophy instructor. To him, the analysis is simple. He cannot know what it is like to be in a marriage without running the risk of a difficult and expensive exit, so he analyzes it from the outside. Almost 50% of couples divorce, more than that % in our city. So marriage is a failing project for at least 50% of men. (leaving aside that for some women and some rare men it can be an emotional failure but a financial success). Of the 50% who do not get divorced, how many stay for financial reasons or other reasons different from emotional gratification within marriage? How many would love to leave, but don't want to pay the fee? It cannot be none, so marriage is therefore a net loser for men as a group, and possibly for women.

Love is a wonderful thing, but perhaps it is best to keep it on a leash?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Speaking from inexperience, IMHO the only logical reason to get married is "for the kids". Past the age of parenthood (at least for females) marriage seems to introduce unnecessary complications.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do not ask me - female happily married for more than 28 years now.
Reasons? I can't remember - we just knew we wanted to spend our lifes together.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Picking the right partner can be difficult, particularly when you're young. Perhaps this might be more from the male perspective, but the relevance of the things that initially attract you to someone, e.g. desire and sex, diminish on the scale of what's necessarily to sustain a marriage over time.

I won't make any assumptions about the disposition of marriage other than to say it's not for everyone.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a girlfriend. She would love to get married, but for me that would be a high risk move with only disadvantages, no advantages at all. (we don't want kids; we're not religious; I'm the one who works and has a good financial situation)

I'm even starting to doubt if I'd ever want to get into steady relationship again if I'd become single. Your mileage may vary.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would be unlikely to remarry if my marriage ended in death or divorce. Too high risk, as Tigger and Ha pointed out. I certainly wouldn't want to consider dating or marrying someone with kids.

We have two confirmed bachelors among our friends and I actively discourage them from even considering marriage as they approach 50, while everyone else they know is setting them up with "marrying types".

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Though I have been married for 25 years and am ecstatic about my marriage, I would probably never remarry for the reasons others have stated above. If having children is not in the picture I really don't see the point. When the inevitable conflicts arose in my marriage my kids were a major incentive to work things out. With a new relationship it would be too easy to call it quits when things got tough.

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Do not ask me - female happily married for more than 28 years now.
Reasons? I can't remember - we just knew we wanted to spend our lifes together.
I guess it was the same with us (can't speak for DW ).

Anyway, after 40+ years, I have no regrets
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Explain to your buddy that the divorce rate drops rapidly for marriages after age 30. Once you are over 35 you have a 90%+ chance of staying married. He should go for the surgeon
Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I would be unlikely to remarry if my marriage ended in death or divorce.
Same here. The thought of remarrying (if my marriage ended in death) actually makes me wonder on the impossible situation of let's say, I meet both husband no. 1 and 2 in heaven (assuming we all end there) - who do I stay with then?
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #11

Interesting. DW and I are married 35 years. all 5 siblings are married , 2 after divorces. My parents were married 62 years. Father in law was widowed after 35 years and remarried for 19 until he died.
Next generation down all 12 couples that are in serious relationships are married or getting married. 3 singles. My Daughter who just got married is the youngest of this crew (age 25)

Perhaps it runs in families.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I guess it was the same with us (can't speak for DW ).

Anyway, after 40+ years, I have no regrets

I always say we are married 35 years but DW says it feels like 50
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
I always say we are married 35 years but DW says it feels like 50
Sounds like she's a saint.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We started dating at 16, married at 22 (went to different colleges) and are now in our 60's. It's been a great run. But I think everyone, especially older folks considering remarriage, needs to look at the legal and financial implications prevalent at the time to determine whether legal marriage or just cohabitation is best for them.

In the worse of the marriage penalty days when we knew we'd save several kilobucks a year if we were filing fed taxes as singles vs MFJ, we actually talked to our lawyer about divorce. The plan would have been to divorce, change ownership and other legal contracts as necessary and go on with life telling no one and DW not changing her name. Just our little secret. We eventually decided not to.

Everyone needs to look at the financial and legal details of marriage vs. single before entering into a legal relationship. Then if you can handle the outcome of that investigation (ie, be married or not) follow that course of action.

It's a real plus/strength in today's world if a couple can separate the emotional and romantic aspects of their relationship from the financial and legal aspects and act appropriately. For older folks, say someone considering remarriage past mid-life after a death or divorce, the gov't is stacking the deck against marriage from a financial point of view.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Extremely timely post for me as I was married back in May of this year to the woman who I was 99.9% sure was going to be my partner for life.

Here we are, six months later, and I'm filing divorce papers before the end of the year. I'm sure many of you will make assumptions along the lines of us not giving it enough effort or time and I won't bother to get into the details, but I will tell you that those assumptions would be incorrect.

That being said, neither of us is bitter toward each other and at 28 years old, I still have high hopes for meeting someone who I'm a little more compatible with and eventually, get married and start a family. Whether that's realistic or not, I haven't a clue, but I'm definitely not the jaded type who has completely given up on the institution of marriage. The key is finding the right woman - and vetting the living hell out of her

I realize that I may be a bit of an exception in this case being that I was married and will be divorced at such an early age, however I just wanted to offer an additional perspective.
jimday1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sounds like she's a saint.......
Or as my family described her that poor deluded girl
But I can cook, so for 35 years if I've been at home and not sick, she never cooked a meal.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I have a girlfriend. She would love to get married, but for me that would be a high risk move with only disadvantages, no advantages at all. (we don't want kids; we're not religious; I'm the one who works and has a good financial situation)

I'm even starting to doubt if I'd ever want to get into steady relationship again if I'd become single. Your mileage may vary.
This describes my situation two or three years ago almost perfectly....Now, I am almost sure that I would not want another serious relationship.

Nothing has really changed except me: My hermit tendencies increase with every passing year.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Moscyn;1004282][QUOTE=Sarah in SC;1004267]I would be unlikely to remarry if my marriage ended in death or divorce.
Quote:

Same here. The thought of remarrying (if my marriage ended in death) actually makes me wonder on the impossible situation of let's say, I meet both husband no. 1 and 2 in heaven (assuming we all end there) - who do I stay with then?
Joke time
joke time

My dad always said he took the "till death do us part" seriously and then he got to look around again. My mom would say "we will ask God and see what She says

not a serious comment on anyone's religious beliefs
Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Interesting. DW and I are married 35 years. all 5 siblings are married , 2 after divorces. My parents were married 62 years. Father in law was widowed after 35 years and remarried for 19 until he died.
Next generation down all 12 couples that are in serious relationships are married on getting married. 3 singles. My Daughter who just got married is the youngest of this crew (age 25)

Perhaps it runs in families.
That's certainly a possibility. In my family everyone is married.

I'm the "different" one who doesn't want marriage nor kids and who wants to ER. I suspect either the mailman was from a family that doesn't marry or that drop on my head when I was a kid wasn't harmless after all.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Although I dearly love being married--the nonfinancial sharing is what makes a happy marriage to me--obviously it's not for everyone.

There's no more "having" to get married anymore in today's society, so no shotguns being put to anyone's head.