Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Could you point out in this picture where you would keep all your well prepared supplies, guns and ammo, and place to sleep. Lets assume your spouse was washed away when the walls caved in-so many stories have said that.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...jpg?width=1280
The risk of flooding where.I live is remote.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Be able to survive at least a week on your own, preferably two.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Be able to survive at least a week on your own, preferably two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
+1. Even if someone comes to rescue you within the first few days, and even if you get a roof over your head again soon after that, your life is not going to return to semi-normal for a long, long time (years) after a direct hit from a hurricane like Dorian. Some of the islanders who survived Dorian remarked that they felt like they needed to just start over in a new place, and I can easily understand that. The thought of trying to restore normal life to a place that has suffered that much devastation must be overwhelming.
After that hurricane hit New Orleans a few years back, one thing became very clear to me. We have to be able to survive at least a week, preferably two on our own in the case of a major natural disaster. That means having water, food, fuel, and some form of sanitation available. For that reason I keep my old camping gear in good shape.

As far as Porto Rico is concerned, I think some of the recent political turmoil points to a situation that must be a very big contributor to their difficulties recovering form the hurricane.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. Even if someone comes to rescue you within the first few days, and even if you get a roof over your head again soon after that, your life is not going to return to semi-normal for a long, long time (years) after a direct hit from a hurricane like Dorian. Some of the islanders who survived Dorian remarked that they felt like they needed to just start over in a new place, and I can easily understand that. The thought of trying to restore normal life to a place that has suffered that much devastation must be overwhelming.
It will be hard for many Bahamians to relocate elsewhere. When you are broke, have no work, and with no assets, what countries will take you in?

Puerto Ricans can move freely to the US mainland, if they have money and that's a big if.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
With rising sea levels it does make one wonder if places like the Bahamas are even worth rebuilding. The islands are barely above sea level as it is and it will only get worse.
I don't believe it's a fact that sea level will only ever rise and not stabilize or fall. I mean where do you begin to get that idea?
Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Can we buy the Bahamas?
Just annex them to FL. I mean Russia did that with Crimea.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
So we should also abandon all the barrier islands on the east coast of the USA?

If humans abandoned everyplace that ever had a natural disaster, there would be few places left to inhabit. It is the repeat natural disasters that repeatedly happen in the same spots that are annoying. Like flooding along the rivers in the Midwest. There is no way places with repeated issues should be rebuilt. Now if a Cat 5 hit the same islands every other year, that would be a different situation.
My understanding is that there are places on the barrier islands on the Atlantic Seabord where rebuilding is not being permitted on certain lots that received damage in previous storms. I have friends who vacation on Figure Eight Island, and another couple who winter on Oak Island, both off the coast of North Carolina, and there are lots there that once had homes, and now do not because of storm damage, and rebuilding is not being permitted.

So, yeah, I think that there will be an increasing number of these in the future. I have no problem with folks building on the barrier islands, but they should be excluded, IMO, from any form of governmental aide to recover financial losses in those areas.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of unexpected post-distaster problems....

I was on a tour in Italy that included four lawyers from the New Orleans area Everyone of them was having serious issues with the insurance company that insured their home after that massive hurricane.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I don't believe it's a fact that sea level will only ever rise and not stabilize or fall. I mean where do you begin to get that idea?

Never said it would go on forever, where did you get that idea? The changes due to global warming have been scientifically shown to be getting worse over recent years and little is being done to make one think it get better in the foreseeable future.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[sarcasm] I assume.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Where would the Bahamians go? Any country willing to adopt them? There are only 400,000 of them, not too many.

It's good to hear the US Coast Guard is helping with the rescue.
There are totally 3000 islands, cays and islets in The Bahamas. There are over 30 big islands, 700 tiny islands and many islets in the area. New Providence is the principal island of The Bahamas.

I'm sure some of the islands are not appropriate, but there should be places for the Bahamians to go within their own country.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Bahamians are not as lucky as the Hawaiians with high mountains.

Perhaps they still have enough land for them to scrunch together, but I dunno.

Quote:
All the islands are low and flat, with ridges that usually rise no more than 15 to 20 m (49 to 66 ft).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #52

Quote:

It's been rising for a while now, and the rate of rise is actually accelerating, compared to earlier projections. See article at the link below. I hope we are not going to get into a debate about climate change, and whether it's real or not..........

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2680/n...-accelerating/
Old 09-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It will be hard for many Bahamians to relocate elsewhere. When you are broke, have no work, and with no assets, what countries will take you in?

Oh, I agree. Most of them will probably have to just stay and do their best to survive this, although it is going to be a long, difficult, ugly ordeal at best. But I do understand the feeling of wanting to just be transported somewhere else, to start over.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Yes. If I were in their shoes (if they have any shoes left), the only thing in my mind would be how to survive till next day.

Then, once I make it to the point where I do not think about where the next meal comes from, I will figure out how to move to another place.

But I suspect a lot of people will simply resign to the fact that they are stuck. Such hopelessness feeling would be terrible, seeing no opportunity to get out of your situation despite no wrong doing of your own.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #55

On the plus side, a number of boating and private pilot organizations are gearing up to help the Bahamians by delivering aid
Old 09-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
There are totally 3000 islands, cays and islets in The Bahamas. There are over 30 big islands, 700 tiny islands and many islets in the area. New Providence is the principal island of The Bahamas.

I'm sure some of the islands are not appropriate, but there should be places for the Bahamians to go within their own country.
A news article states that some of the Bahamas was not affected that badly by Dorian, so I imagine that tent cities will pop up in those places for awhile along with port-a-toilets. It will just take a while and some planning.

OTOH, some of the freshwater wells have been polluted by saltwater.

New jobs in debris removal and disaster relief are sure to be created.

The aftermath of this will become a case study of what to do better the next time.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
A news article states that some of the Bahamas was not affected that badly by Dorian, so I imagine that tent cities will pop up in those places for awhile along with port-a-toilets. It will just take a while and some planning.

OTOH, some of the freshwater wells have been polluted by saltwater.

New jobs in debris removal and disaster relief are sure to be created.

The aftermath of this will become a case study of what to do better the next time.
From what I've read the most severe 'catastrophic' damage was on The Abacos and Grand Bahama, the northernmost part of the Bahamas. According to the Nassau Paradise Island website, they've been spared, so presumably most of the Bahamas south of Nassau/Paradise Island fared much better, though some less populated.

Quote:
Although Nassau Paradise Island has been spared the devastating effects of Hurricane Dorian, our hearts and prayers go out to our neighbors in Abaco and Grand Bahama Island, and all those affected on the East Coast of the United States.
https://www.nassauparadiseisland.com...-dorian-update

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #58

Quote:
It's been rising for a while now, and the rate of rise is actually accelerating, compared to earlier projections. See article at the link below. I hope we are not going to get into a debate about climate change, and whether it's real or not..........

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2680/n...-accelerating/
Most tide gauges show around 2.5-3mm rise for the last 50-150 years. That's around 9 inches by 2100. Hopefully that's enough time to adjust infrastructure.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Hopefully that's enough time to adjust infrastructure.
Tell that to my ancestors who were pushed out of Doggerland a "few" thousand years go...
Old 09-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Tell that to my ancestors who were pushed out of Doggerland a "few" thousand years go...
Quote:
Doggerland was an area of land, now submerged beneath the southern North Sea, that connected Britain to continental Europe. It was flooded by rising sea levels around 6500–6200 BC.
How did you trace your ancestors back that far?