Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Wishful thinking, Gumby!! Do you suppose those millions of illegals will be responding to the Census? Of course not. Will that stop them from obtaining public assistance? Of course not.

Teehee...you said "rational decisions" when referring to government.
I am unclear on the precise relationship between undocumented immigrants not completing the census and their obtaining public assistance. I didn't think they could obtain public assistance in any event, regardless of whether they completed the census or not.

And yes, I do think the government can and does act rationally in many areas. They are just not the areas we hear about on talk radio.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have info at the police department showing what i.d. the census bureau 'takers' must have when they go door to door. I'm proud of this as I know I'll receive calls wanting to know if they're revenuers legit.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
My entire career in farming was three hours of shoveling old grain out of a silo; that was 45 years ago. Have no interest in doing any more farm work. I was a software engineer before retiring.

Good to know... most of the people I have seen who wants gvmt out that is in a farming area... get lots of money from the gvmt... I think they are hypocrites.... glad to know you are not one of them...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Our local paper said that if you fill out the form, no one will come to your door. I will fill out the form because I want an accurate count of people in my state for govt representation. Is there anyone out there who still thinks the govt or anyone else for that matter can't find out all about you?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
Our local paper said that if you fill out the form, no one will come to your door. I will fill out the form because I want an accurate count of people in my state for govt representation. Is there anyone out there who still thinks the govt or anyone else for that matter can't find out all about you?
I'm quite sure they can find out anything they want to know. That doesn't mean I have to make it easier for them.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #46

Nodak....what are we going to do with you? I think you just can't be persuaded at all to cooperate, can you? Singing: "He's a rebel..and he'll never, never..."
You're a pistol, kid! At least, you have the good sense to live in a fiscally healthy State...North Dakota is really in great shape (just so darn cold up there...brrrrr!).
Interesting that the cold States are the fiscally healthiest. Does this mean the warmest States where retirees are flocking are burning thru their State's supplies of money?

I'm sure the Census assumes a certain percentage of non-cooperators in their study always.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I am hopeful that providing the requested information will allow the government to have accurate data regarding the characteristics of our population so they can make rational decisions on matters of public policy. It has been my experience that actions taken in the absence of accurate information are often misguided.
WoW! I hopeful they will make good decisions based on what the population want/need rather than what the lobbyist and their re-election contributors want! However, I have never seen it work that way!

MickeyD:
Founding fathers said take a count. Specifically:
'The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.'

The did not say count how many chickens you have, or slaves, or automobiles. All of that came later.
Heck, I would be happy if they would just go home. Another great thing about Texas, their law makers only meat every two years and then only for 5 months. That's when the people of the great state are really in danger!

'by such Manner as they shall by Law direct.' has given your legislator a great deal of power.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Another great thing about Texas, their law makers only meat every two years and then only for 5 months.
Unfortunately that still gives them a lot of time for sausage-making...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm sure the Census assumes a certain percentage of non-cooperators in their study always.
Yeah, but the problem -- not to start anything political here -- is that the folks who make these decisions are likely to claim that there are more "non-cooperators" in their state or among groups that are more likely to vote their way.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Unfortunately that still gives them a lot of time for sausage-making...
Ahahaha.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Nodak....what are we going to do with you? I think you just can't be persuaded at all to cooperate, can you? Singing: "He's a rebel..and he'll never, never..."
You're a pistol, kid! At least, you have the good sense to live in a fiscally healthy State...North Dakota is really in great shape (just so darn cold up there...brrrrr!).
Interesting that the cold States are the fiscally healthiest. Does this mean the warmest States where retirees are flocking are burning thru their State's supplies of money?

Yeah, you're right. Like I said in another thread, I'm an old hippy and definitely have a problem with authority. However, now that I'm retired, I no longer have to answer to anyone but myself.

As for the weather it is a balmy 28 degrees here today. And, if we're lucky, we might see above freezing by the middle of next week.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the big deal about answering some simple questions?
Remember King Herod?

Ha
Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

There isn't a big deal with answering the questions. The government is barred from using the information against you. And no one here has pointed to any evidence that it has.

Or we could skip getting the information and just pretend that we don't have issues our country needs to face.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

The census is a requirement of the government. However, it is supposed to be just a headcount. I have no problem with that.

In 2000, a fat census lady came to my apartment and started asking questions. So of course, I asked why the government wanted all this information. Then she got mad, and said she couldfindout everything at the apartment complex leasing office (since they had all my income information anyways). I told her to go ahead and get it then, but I was done talking to her and wouldn't sign anything.

If the IRS has all my info anyways, then why does the census bureau need to ask again?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
The census is a requirement of the government. However, it is supposed to be just a headcount. I have no problem with that.

In 2000, a fat census lady came to my apartment and started asking questions. So of course, I asked why the government wanted all this information. Then she got mad, and said she couldfindout everything at the apartment complex leasing office (since they had all my income information anyways). I told her to go ahead and get it then, but I was done talking to her and wouldn't sign anything.

If the IRS has all my info anyways, then why does the census bureau need to ask again?
Agreed, a headcount is all they need for the apportionment of the House of Representatives; that is the constitutional purpose of the census.

Incidentally, North Dakota legislature also meets only once every two years and for about a 6 month period. It keeps their wages down and discourages them from making a living being a politician. I have thought for many years that the installation of air conditioning in the Houses of Congress in Washington was an avoidable tragedy. Without it they may have gone home part of the year.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Remember King Herod?

Ha

Wasn't he the one that said~ "It's good to be the king?"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Remember King Herod?

Ha
Ha: You will have to enlighten me as to Herod said.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
The did not say count how many chickens you have, or slaves, or automobiles. All of that came later.
The first US census, soon after independence and the founding of the US, did in fact include how many slaves you owned.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #59

As a graduate student doing misc. research, I appreciate the results of previous censuses. Working for the Dept. of Labor has made me appreciate the effect of statistics on funding various programs (some I am not so fond of, but...) The IRS can't give your info to the census bureau - we all know gummint agencies DO NOT speak to each other - this way they have to duplicate each other's work! Please just answer the dang questions - it only happens once every ten years!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Most of what I know of my family history is from reading old census data. So to that extent, I appreciate that they asked more than are you alive?