The Cheap Thrill-Airport Security Measures run Wild

Nodak said:
You should have gotten their names and charged them with assault and battery.

And missed my flight home.

The TSA people are in a great position. They have an unending supply of random strangers coming through, all of whom have an important appointment to make, arranged at great expense, which they don't want to miss. This gives the odd sadist or criminal in the TSA ranks a certain advantage. Anyone protesting their actions or attempting to file a complaint will miss their flight. The airline won't be inclined to reimburse or rebook on a later flight without the customer paying, as they were at the airport, and chose to do something other than get on the scheduled flight.

Oh, and complaining is a TSA profiling marker for a possible terrorist. That will get you an exciting day in a holding cell.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-15/...ection-officers-airport-security?_s=PM:TRAVEL

After that secondary inspection, my biggest desire by far was to get the hell away from those people. In retrospect, yes, getting the names would have been a great idea. However, it could also have caused me a great deal of trouble, from simply missing the flight (the airline was holding the door open for me, literally), to the ever popular "failing to follow the instructions of a designated official" in not leaving the checkpoint at once, but trying to get the names of the TSA people.

.......... This gives the odd sadist or criminal in the TSA ranks a certain advantage..........

I suspect that jobs like this attract a higher percentage of sadists and wannabees than your average minimum wage job.

And missed my flight home.

The TSA people are in a great position. They have an unending supply of random strangers coming through, all of whom have an important appointment to make, arranged at great expense, which they don't want to miss. This gives the odd sadist or criminal in the TSA ranks a certain advantage. Anyone protesting their actions or attempting to file a complaint will miss their flight. The airline won't be inclined to reimburse or rebook on a later flight without the customer paying, as they were at the airport, and chose to do something other than get on the scheduled flight.

Oh, and complaining is a TSA profiling marker for a possible terrorist. That will get you an exciting day in a holding cell.

TSA security looks at people who complain about ... TSA security - CNN

After that secondary inspection, my biggest desire by far was to get the hell away from those people. In retrospect, yes, getting the names would have been a great idea. However, it could also have caused me a great deal of trouble, from simply missing the flight (the airline was holding the door open for me, literally), to the ever popular "failing to follow the instructions of a designated official" in not leaving the checkpoint at once, but trying to get the names of the TSA people.
I understand and guess since I have no desire to ever fly again my viewpoint is very different. My main worry with the TSA is that they will attempt to expand their operations to other areas of travel.

Boy, M Paq, I don't know if I could have been as nice as you were about that situation. I might still be in jail. Someone wacks me with a scanner and I'm going to deck him. Shoot now and ask questions later is my motto. Certainly they have security cameras recording all the goings on. I'll be damned if I'd let my pants fall down to my knees and not do something about it. Somebody would be decked and maybe me included. I'm 6' 3" and 230# and I wouldn't puit up with that kind of crap. I'd be swinging and set the cameras record it.

Yeah, I know, miss your flight and all that. Easy for me to say, right?

Actually, I wonder if those machines are used as frequent as most expect them to be.
Both Honolulu & Houston are using the X-ray scanners.

My hearing discrimination is not what it used to be, and after 20 years in Hawaii I'm starting to notice that you Mainland people talk funny. So when we're in a big noisy crowd, a little behind schedule, and a TSA agent mutters his 10,000th repetition of something like "Stateyourfullnameplease" while looking down at my military ID, I get a bit stressed.

What really annoys me is the agent who engages you in "friendly" conversation. Sort of like the submarine inspectors who used to shoot the breeze with you by starting with "How 'bout them Cowboys, huh? Say, lieutenant, what can you tell me about the nuclear reactor power limits for single-loop operations?"

I suspect that jobs like this attract a higher percentage of sadists and wannabees than your average minimum wage job.
Most of the freedoms which are guaranteed in our various countries' constitutions were put there over time as wise heads realised that some of the people hired by the state to protect its interests, and those of its citizens, are not to be trusted. Then something bad happens and it's "headless chicken mode" for a while, until we realise that the costs are excessive. Unfortunately you can still find lots of people who will put up with anything "because it stops me being blown up". (These people typically smoke cigarettes, drive automobiles, and drive lottery tickets.)

You should have gotten their names and charged them with assault and battery.

Boy, M Paq, I don't know if I could have been as nice as you were about that situation. I might still be in jail. Someone wacks me with a scanner and I'm going to deck him. Shoot now and ask questions later is my motto. Certainly they have security cameras recording all the goings on. I'll be damned if I'd let my pants fall down to my knees and not do something about it. Somebody would be decked and maybe me included. I'm 6' 3" and 230# and I wouldn't puit up with that kind of crap. I'd be swinging and set the cameras record it.

Yeah, I know, miss your flight and all that. Easy for me to say, right?

You guys obviously haven't been following this topic at all, have you? There's no way to sue, charge, and definitely not defend yourself against this group. Or any gov't agency, for that matter. These indignities that M Paq and others have experienced are on the far lower level of offensive activities by the TSA. Obviously, most people go through without problems, and most pat downs are handled appropriately (assuming any pat down can be appropriate). But complaining gets no response, lawsuits are dismissed, and physical confrontations get you charged and incarcerated, plus never being able to fly again. The cameras would only be used to incriminate you, since the agents can't be charged and your response would be assualt if not terrorism. No matter how absurd, the agents actions are always deemed to be proper procedure. As long as they are out there and allowed to do this stuff the only options are hope you don't get singled out, put up with it, or quit flying.

Just for another example, check this one out. Conquering the Terrorist Threat by Terrorizing Little Girls - Hit & Run : Reason.com

You guys obviously haven't been following this topic at all, have you? There's no way to sue, charge, and definitely not defend yourself against this group. Or any gov't agency, for that matter. These indignities that M Paq and others have experienced are on the far lower level of offensive activities by the TSA. Obviously, most people go through without problems, and most pat downs are handled appropriately (assuming any pat down can be appropriate). But complaining gets no response, lawsuits are dismissed, and physical confrontations get you charged and incarcerated, plus never being able to fly again. The cameras would only be used to incriminate you, since the agents can't be charged and your response would be assualt if not terrorism. No matter how absurd, the agents actions are always deemed to be proper procedure. As long as they are out there and allowed to do this stuff the only options are hope you don't get singled out, put up with it, or quit flying.

Just for another example, check this one out. Conquering the Terrorist Threat by Terrorizing Little Girls - Hit & Run : Reason.com
I agree with what you've said but I am not above tilting at windmills. There has to be some way to get rid of the TSA, but, short of a major change in politicians I don't know what it is. There are many examples of the sort of thugs that are part of TSA. I get the impression that it is a legal occupation for those that would otherwise be mugging people at gunpoint.

Last edited:
I agree with what you've said but I am not above tilting at windmills. There has to be some way to get rid of the TSA, but, short of a major change in politicians I don't know what it is.
And I don't know how you get *that* without taking away their personal, tax-funded security details and subjecting them to the same TSA lines and screenings as everyone else. Perhaps then they'd understand why so many travelers are fed up with TSA.

Last edited:
Nodak said:
I agree with what you've said but I am not above tilting at windmills. There has to be some way to get rid of the TSA, but, short of a major change in politicians I don't know what it is. There are many examples of the sort of thugs that are part of TSA. I get the impression that it is a legal occupation for those that would otherwise be mugging people at gunpoint.

Well, airports can request to opt out and use private screening services. A total of 16 airports were permitted to do this, although no additional airports were added to the list in recent years. Requests by airport operators to use private security firms have been turned down by the TSA as they do not offer, in the TSA response text, “a clear and substantial advantage to TSA’s security operations.”

Note that language. Not a clear and substantial advantage to the United States, or to air travel security, or to airline passengers. The requests are turned down because they don't offer a clear and substantial advantage to the TSA.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/30...an-opt-out-of-tsa-screeners-but-its-not-easy/

Anecdotally, the private screeners at San Francisco International are faster, cheerful, and far more polite than the TSA screeners across the bay at Oakland International.

http://covenantsecurity.com/sfo/

:LOL: A couple weeks ago a fellow Oregonian stripped to his skin in line when TSA said they detected the explosives on his clothes. Another Air Passenger Strips Naked At An Airport « The Gaslamp Post He said he wanted to assure them that he is a safe traveler because he flys a lot. Initially they considered filing charges for indecent exposure but evidently someone thought better of that. ... Maybe too many jurors have gone through security at PDX.

Balancing this out a bit is the report of another underwear type bombing attempt today.

That's it - I'm only flying in my kilt from now on. No danger of being accused of being the new underwear bomber. :LOL:

Well, it doesn't look like the TSA was at all involved in this. I don't think anybody is saying that there's no need for security or intelligence work, just that the TSA doesn't provide the one and doesn't possess the other. I'll be curious to see the reports over time as to what this was and how likely it would have been to be caught by the security measures now in place.

Another Air Passenger Strips Naked At An Airport
Post 9/11, my employer went nuts and installed metal detectors at all entrances. All staff had to go through the metal detector, every morning and whenever they moved between buildings. (As if an 800-person office building needs protecting like an airliner; there's a fully-staffed cafeteria with some very sharp knives in the kitchen, etc etc. Security theater to the max.)

Anyway, one day our building's detector must have been turned up to maximum. It kept beeping. I stripped down to my underpants and still it beeped. I would have removed them too, but I happened to know the security person was a devout Muslim and would not have appreciated it.

Security has since been scaled back. Now, we only have to go through the metal detector four weeks a year, when a specific political event takes place. So as long as we bring in our Kalashnikovs the week before, we're OK to organise a killing spree.

Oh, and the guy who fills the ATM which we have inside the building? Yep, he gets to keep his gun. Even if a high-level politician is visiting. (The computer maintenance guys get to take system unit boxes through, but then have to go through the detector themselves and take their keys out of their pockets.)

It's just a deterrent, not a repellent!

Oh, it is definitely repellent.

I drove to my business destination yesterday without incident and could bring whatever I like with me (as long as it fits in my truck). I will be doing this for preference in the future, at least until winter storms make it impractical.

I drove to my business destination yesterday without incident and could bring whatever I like with me (as long as it fits in my truck). I will be doing this for preference in the future, at least until winter storms make it impractical.
+1

The degree to which flying sucks today was the major factor in deciding where to go on vacation this year. There were a lot of other things we were considering -- the only "must have" being that it's a lot cooler than Texas in the middle of summer -- but the fact that they all involved flying eventually made them lose out.

I'd rather deal with a 10 hour drive each way with a panting dog in the back seat and spend a few days in a cabin at elevation than do anything involving flying.

+1

The degree to which flying sucks today was the major factor in deciding where to go on vacation this year. There were a lot of other things we were considering -- the only "must have" being that it's a lot cooler than Texas in the middle of summer -- but the fact that they all involved flying eventually made them lose out.

I'd rather deal with a 10 hour drive each way with a panting dog in the back seat and spend a few days in a cabin at elevation than do anything involving flying.
That may be the way to get rid of TSA, if enough people give up flying because it's too much hassle.

+1

I spent the evening fishing and hiking around a multi thousand acre wildlife management area rather than sitting in my hotel room. Much easier to bring my fishing rod and tackle box in the truck vs. the plane. In the fall I am seriously considering tossing one of my rifle/shotgun combos (Savage Model 24) in the truck and seeing if I cannot bag dinner.

In the fall I am seriously considering tossing one of my rifle/shotgun combos (Savage Model 24) in the truck and seeing if I cannot bag dinner.
Hopefully you're doing that in a wildlife area too...

I wonder if hotel concierges handle field-dressing and fish-cleaning?

Hopefully you're doing that in a wildlife area too...

I wonder if hotel concierges handle field-dressing and fish-cleaning?

I take pains to comply with all applicable regulations and I was in a wildlife management area.

The hotel I stay in is all suites with kitchens, including a dishwasher, etc.

April Statistics On Airport Screening From The Department Of Homeland Security:

Terrorists Discovered
Transvestites
Hernias
Hemorrhoid Cases
Enlarged Prostates
Breast Implants
Natural Blondes

Back
Top Bottom