Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #381
Moderator Emeritus

Good news, everyone!

Quote:
Airport security workers will now be told to make repeated attempts to screen young children without resorting to invasive pat-downs, the head of the Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday. The agency is working to put that change in place around the country, and it should reduce, but not eliminate, pat-downs for children, an agency spokesman said.
Change Made To Airport Screenings For Young Kids : NPR

Meanwhile, for those of us who've given up on flying...
Quote:
As travelers and state governments across America fight back against invasive screening by the Transportation Security Administration at airports, the TSA is actually expanding its operations covering busses, trains, ships, ferries, subways, and even highways.
TSA Searches Expand as Opposition Mounts

No, really!
TSA to oversee searches at Santa Fe prom | KOB.com
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love having TSA at the prom. I wonder does the Prom committee get to audition the TSA agents like they do the bands, and make sure that only cute TSA agents get a chance to grope .

On the other hand I am not pleased that they are loosening up the security requirements for young children. As everyone know nothing cause more terror than seeing that you will be stuck on a 6 hour flight surrounded by babies and toddlers. I'd much rather be surrounded by a bunch of young Arab men in traditional garb.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
On the other hand I am not pleased that they are loosening up the security requirements for young children. As everyone know nothing cause more terror than seeing that you will be stuck on a 6 hour flight surrounded by babies and toddlers. I'd much rather be surrounded by a bunch of young Arab men in traditional garb.
"I've got a loaded diaper, and I'm not afraid to use it!"
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #384
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
"I've got a loaded diaper, and I'm not afraid to use it!"
As long as it's not more than three ounces in a clear plastic baggie...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #385
Give me a forum ...

Hey, my grandbabies could drop a load twice that size while waiting in the TSA line. Woe is the screener who is determined to do a through pat down of a toddler with stinky diaper.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #386
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of diapers, this is moving out of the range of absurd and into the range of obscene.

Elderly woman asked to remove adult diaper during TSA search | mother, search, adult - Northwest Florida Daily News
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #387
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Speaking of diapers, this is moving out of the range of absurd and into the range of obscene.

Elderly woman asked to remove adult diaper during TSA search | mother, search, adult - Northwest Florida Daily News
A troublemaker, eh? I bet she winds up on the TSC selectee list.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Koshetz said the procedures are the same for everyone to ensure national security.
“TSA cannot exempt any group from screening because we know from intelligence that there are terrorists out there that would then exploit that vulnerability,” she said.
Hell Al Qaeda hasn't been able to recruit many young Muslim man, with room temperature IQs, to blow up planes recently. What makes TSA think they have any chance to recruit 95 year old grandmother, and US citizen I bet, as a terrorist? Give me an F*ing break.

If the debt ceiling doesn't get raised, I hope the TSA is the first agency that doesn't get funded.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Bin Laden has to be laughing from his watery grave at the stupidity rained down on us daily in the name of security.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Bin Laden has to be laughing from his watery grave at the stupidity rained down on us daily in the name of security.

I agree.... the old security seemed to work just fine... we had ONE messed up shoe bomber and ONE messed up underwear bomber in the last 110 MILLION flights....

And to tell the truth, this is wrong because the 110 million flights are domestic and the bombers were international....

I think I like my odds of not being blown out of the sky with a little bit less security....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #391
Give me a forum ...

Anyone using a diaper when traveling should have a couple fresh ones in a carry on, that said this search is crazy.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #392
gone traveling

Quote:
I feel so much safer knowing these fine federal employees are making sure that everyone (else) obey the rules, written or unwritten.
I'm skipping my annual physical. I guess my next "full body scan" at the airport will tell me if I have any physical problems ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #393
gone traveling

Quote:

And a 95 yo granny to boot, I guess she fit the profile. But wait a minute, isn't profiling illegal
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #394
Give me a forum ...

There is so much to detest in modern America, this is only par for the course. People in charge of others are not only morons, they are cruel morons.

Ha
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #395
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
There is so much to detest in modern America, this is only par for the course. People in charge of others are not only morons, they are cruel morons.
I think we should look on the bright side. Everyone should be able to find a career that they find enjoyable and fulfilling. For a cruel moron, actually being paid to wear a shiny badge and uniform, and being in a position where they can order other people around, humiliate them, and satisfy their own needs is a wonderful thing. They're saving a fortune over what they used to spend over at the Sadist Fantasy Club.

Plus, it's civil service. How outrageous would they have to be to get fired?

TSA torments child wearing leg braces - National Airlines/Airport | Examiner.com
TSA forces cancer survivor to show prosthesis - Travel - News - msnbc.com
"I am God, I'm in charge." - NBC Los Angeles
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #396
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is always going to be tension between respecting individual rights and ensuring airline security. You just can't do both. Maybe you think that if you were writing TSA guidelines you could somehow ensure that there was no chance of a bomb getting aboard without being obnoxious to 95 year old leukemia patients? Not so easy, I think. Just how exactly do you write the policies?

While I sympathize with the individuals who fall into the clutches of the TSA, I'll reserve my enmity for my fellow citizens who were willing to vote for reactionary legislators prepared to subordinate individual liberties to expedience.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #397

Can't help but ask Greg, which side are you on?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
It's hard for me to guess what you think the sides are. I'm against searches without warrant or probable cause. But, more specifically, I'm against anyone who would vote for a jerk who would help enact legislation making such searches possible.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
There is always going to be tension between respecting individual rights and ensuring airline security. You just can't do both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
It's hard for me to guess what you think the sides are.
Pretty simple Greg. Are you in favor of individual rights or "insuring airline security"? Pick one.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #400
Give me a forum ...

I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I do not believe that the excesses we are hearing about are necessary for airline security.