Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Sir, your customs form does not contain a declaration for this apparent large salami and these two meatballs you are concealing. Smuggling unauthorized meat products is a federal offense".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
"Sir, your customs form does not contain a declaration for this apparent large salami and these two meatballs you are concealing. Smuggling unauthorized meat products is a federal offense".

I don't think that's what is meant by the term "bushmeat".

Home | Bushmeat Crisis Task Force
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to go through either the machine or the opt out experience (scope or grope). I regard both to be an invasion of my personal privacy, whether warranted or not.

Luckily I don't have to go through airport security, since we don't have any air travel planned in the near future. I would be very upset otherwise. THANK HEAVENS that I am not still working because I had to do so much traveling for work.

I do anticipate that in time, these requirements will be relaxed or that somehow the situation will be resolved.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My paper had this to say about the issue today:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-for-security/
-------------------------------------
Too which I responded in a letter to the editor:

I congratulate your editorial staff on their missive of 11/19/10 regarding "modest traveler inconveniences." It is rare indeed to see a highly educated group so thoroughly ignore the inherent debate between national security and our Constitutional rights.

The editorial staff does remember the U.S. Constitution?

Written by Thomas Jefferson, it includes a number of high minded ideals that our citizenry supposedly believes in. Like this chestnut: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

When our Constitutional rights are potentially violated it is important to foster healthy public debate about the issue. Yet your editorial completely ignores the pertinent questions: Does purchase of an airplane ticket give probable cause? Are a thorough patting down and revealing photos unreasonable searches? Etc.

The editorial staff would do well to stand up for the 4th amendment; it is as worthy of defense as the 1st, guaranteeing freedom of the press.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't want to go through either the machine or the opt out experience (scope or grope). I regard both to be an invasion of my personal privacy, whether warranted or not.

Luckily I don't have to go through airport security, since we don't have any air travel planned in the near future. I would be very upset otherwise. THANK HEAVENS that I am not still working because I had to do so much traveling for work.

I do anticipate that in time, these requirements will be relaxed or that somehow the situation will be resolved.
I hope you're right, but my more cynical self thinks not. It seems, however, we are not alone in our concern about this or our ability to see in a humorous light. From someecards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ecard patdown.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I just finished listening to 'Science Friday' and comments about TSAs assurance of the safety of those machines. Most of you are probably to young to remember the 'safe' shoe fitting machines that used to be in shoe stores in the 40s. Safe? Not!

Rad exposure risk is cumulative. I don't think they are safe for anyone who in the course of their employment or health care have exposure.

The opinion of safety comes from those with a vested interest in the equipment use. Do I have confidence in their opinion? No.

Lead aprons aren't an opition. I guess it is go for the grope or use land & water transport.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Maybe they should just run everyone through a large microwave - if you spark, you don't fly.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe they should just run everyone through a large microwave - if you spark, you don't fly.
Or have everyone step into a secure bomb-detonating chamber before flying. When you hear a muffled boom, you'll know there is a seat opening up on the flight to Tel Aviv..
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
A kilogram: Al Qaeda Bombers Learn from Drug Smugglers - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Yes, it's already been done. It only has to be attempted at an airport and we'll have jumped the shark (well, to the extent that we didn't do that already).
So basically, it is a foregone conclusion that cavity bombs (whether inserted externally or surgically), are a coming reality. Will we all have to lie down on the conveyor belt with our carry on luggage?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Did you hear than that in lieu of the new scanning requirements, they changed the name of TSA to "T and A"?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps they could just offer a "no scanner or pat-down" flight or two per day to various destinations. If they could find flight crews willing to staff these, folks desperate for a scanner and/or pat-down free boarding environment would have their wish. They could sign a release indicating they accept all risk, etc.

I guess they'd also have to route these flights over unpopulated areas to be fair to those on the ground.......

Edit to add: Thinking about it, perhaps flight crews wouldn't be a problem. Airlines could recruit and train folks similar to those who were at the controls in NYC on 9/11. Of course that exacerbates the issue of safety for folks on the ground......

I tell ya, if it's not one thing, it's another.......
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #92

My friend and I were making jokes about this pat-down last night. You know, harder, over to the center, faster, etc. Just two dirty old women having fun...

Personally, I'm not big on the pat-down, but who cares if they scan me. Eh...I'll go for total security everytime, and, if this what it entails, so be it. I'm ez.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Most of you are probably to young to remember the 'safe' shoe fitting machines that used to be in shoe stores in the 40s. Safe? Not!
They were still using them in the Buster Brown shoe stores when I was a kid, in the early 50's. My father wouldn't permit us to be measured for shoes that way. Eventually, I think they were outlawed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #94
Gone but not forgotten

I am flying Tuesday and if I get patted down is it proper etiquette to ask for their phone number if you enjoyed it ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #95

Ms Speaker has her own 747.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Ms Speaker has her own 747.

You might want to check your furnace for a CO leak.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Did you hear than that in lieu of the new scanning requirements, they changed the name of TSA to "T and A"?

They also came up with an appropriate theme song to go along with the change.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
My friend and I were making jokes about this pat-down last night. You know, harder, over to the center, faster, etc. Just two dirty old women having fun...

Personally, I'm not big on the pat-down, but who cares if they scan me. Eh...I'll go for total security everytime, and, if this what it entails, so be it. I'm ez.

If there was even the slightest chance that what the TSA is doing actually enhanced security, I might agree with you. Well, no, I still wouldn't agree, but at least I'd understand. But they are just playing at security. There are reasons why TSA stands for Theatrical Security Agents, Taking Scissors Away, Too Stupid for Arby's, and so on.

Personally, I think this is the way it's going to go in the long run. Sanford Airport to opt out of TSA screening - WDBO Local News on wdbo.com

I wasn't aware of airports having the option to opt out of letting TSA handle the passenger screening. But as more and more people refuse to fly due to invasive and ineffective screening methods, I think the airports will choose to hire their own security firms and implement better screening methods that don't drive the customers out onto the interstates.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
.............. as more and more people refuse to fly due to invasive and ineffective screening methods, I think the airports will choose to hire their own security firms and implement better screening methods that don't drive the customers out onto the interstates.
I think we should subcontract the whole business to Israel and send the TSA clowns back to McDonald's before the next tragedy happens.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #100
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Could this be the first step? TSA: Pilots to be exempt from some airport checks - Yahoo! News
Quote:
The Transportation Security Administration has agreed to let airline pilots skip the security scanning and pat-downs that passengers face at the nation's airports, pilot groups said Friday. Beginning Friday, pilots traveling in uniform or on airline business will be allowed to pass security by presenting two photo IDs, one from their company and one from the government, to be checked against a secure flight crew database, the TSA said.
After this, flight attendants will follow, then frequent travelers. Once pre-screening is established, there is hope for the rest of us.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote