Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Custom officials have always greeted me in a friendly voice "Welcome home!" no matter how grumpy I was from an overseas flight. They have a great sense of humor at least with me as well. I always assumed the friendly chats were to help identify if I really was LOL! from Texas accent and all.

The new thing yesterday for the TSA folks was to ask names when checking IDs. It was amusing to see the folks in front of me stumble on their own names, but I think this was mostly because their brains are thinking, "But you can see my name right there on my driver license, why do I have to tell you my name." But didn't that happen in the movie "The Great Escape" as well?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #442
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Custom officials have always greeted me in a friendly voice "Welcome home!" no matter how grumpy I was from an overseas flight. They have a great sense of humor at least with me as well. I always assumed the friendly chats were to help identify if I really was LOL! from Texas accent and all.

The new thing yesterday for the TSA folks was to ask names when checking IDs. It was amusing to see the folks in front of me stumble on their own names, but I think this was mostly because their brains are thinking, "But you can see my name right there on my driver license, why do I have to tell you my name." But didn't that happen in the movie "The Great Escape" as well?
Simple but skilful interrogating can be effective just like in the movie.

In 1978 DW and I, along with her sister and BIL went on a road trip to the Republic of Ireland, via ferry. The guys at work told me that I looked too much like a terrorist for them to let me go freely across the border. (yeah, right - see my avatar, who could suspect such an innocent face?)

Our car was pulled out of line in the boarding process and we were questioned for several minutes by 2 plain clothes guys under the "prevention of terrorism act" - I could see the title of the form the border guard was filling out.

The questions were pretty straightforward and were asked many times to all 4 of us, to check our relationships, where we lived what we did for a living, how we met up and traveled and where we going etc. I'm sure our reactions to the questions were being observed as much as the answers themselves.
Coming to a highway near you..
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #443
Moderator Emeritus

Coming to a highway near you..

Tennessee Becomes First State To Fight Terrorism Statewide - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Oh frabjous joy! The TSA has rolled out VIPR checkpoints in Tennessee. They're initially working truck checkpoints and a couple of bus stations.

No word on whether bus passengers had to take their shoes off, or if they were prohibited from carrying more than 3 ounces of liquid on board.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Tennessee Becomes First State To Fight Terrorism Statewide - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Oh frabjous joy! The TSA has rolled out VIPR checkpoints in Tennessee. They're initially working truck checkpoints and a couple of bus stations.

No word on whether bus passengers had to take their shoes off, or if they were prohibited from carrying more than 3 ounces of liquid on board.
The extension of this to Colorado will be a sight to see, considering that state law specifically allows the carrying of a loaded handgun in one's glove compartment at all times.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #445
Moderator Emeritus

My anecdotal data (two trips in two months) indicates that I'll never be able to go through a simple metal detector ever again. And if TSA's new scanner doesn't do well with sweat, then maybe they should consider air-conditioning the waiting line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The extension of this to Colorado will be a sight to see, considering that state law specifically allows the carrying of a loaded handgun in one's glove compartment at all times.
I wonder when's the last time that anyone carried a glove in that compartment. And shouldn't it be renamed a gun compartment?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #446
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
My anecdotal data (two trips in two months) indicates that I'll never be able to go through a simple metal detector ever again. And if TSA's new scanner doesn't do well with sweat, then maybe they should consider air-conditioning the waiting line?

I wonder when's the last time that anyone carried a glove in that compartment. And shouldn't it be renamed a gun compartment?
Vegas still uses the old ones. They have a few nudie scanners, but they're very rarely turned on in my experience.

But some other places don't use them either.

In the last few months I've gone through the regular at Vegas twice, regular at Seattle and Miami, and the new one at Charlotte (or rather opted out of going through the new one at Charlotte).
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #447
Give me a forum ...

At least they're developing some style.

TSA goes through woman’s luggage, finds sex toy, leaves pervy note – Boing Boing
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #448
Give me a forum ...

I know this is an old, dead thread, and I don't really want to start it up with all the recent outrages, but this one made me laugh out loud.

TSA Successfully Detects 2 Out of 3 Claymore Mines in Luggage - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I know this is an old, dead thread, and I don't really want to start it up with all the recent outrages, but this one made me laugh out loud.

TSA Successfully Detects 2 Out of 3 Claymore Mines in Luggage - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Well two out of three ain't bad, isn't that what the songs says

So many of the things they screen for really don't pose much of threat of bring down a modern jet aircraft. On the other hand a claymore mine I am pretty sure at the very least would do a number to the passenger section.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Maybe the other screener was more knowledgable and knew when he saw a fake claymore...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Maybe the other screener was more knowledgable and knew when he saw a fake claymore...
Yeah, because a fake claymore is much less likely to cause a reaction than a leather belt buckle in the shape of a pistol, or a cupcake, or playdoh. No, I suspect it was just a miss. Or maybe the other screener didn't know what a claymore was?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, because a fake claymore is much less likely to cause a reaction than a leather belt buckle in the shape of a pistol, or a cupcake, or playdoh. No, I suspect it was just a miss. Or maybe the other screener didn't know what a claymore was?
Notice the sarcastic icon next to my post
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Notice the sarcastic icon next to my post
I wasn't sure that was a sarcastic icon, although I was thinking it might be. I haven't paid attention to the icons recently. But I figured even if it was sarcasm a few additional sarcastic points wouldn't be amiss.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #454
Give me a forum ...

Well I will start driving 6 hours each way rather than fly. We will see which I prefer, but I have had about enough.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #455
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I will start driving 6 hours each way rather than fly. We will see which I prefer, but I have had about enough.
When the scope'n'grope machines were first installed, we decided not to fly until they are removed, barring any emergency reason arising that might force us to do so. Being retired, we can do that and we haven't flown since that time.

We are more concerned about the invasion of privacy, but inept screening is also a valid reason to drive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #456
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had to fly to Baltimore a couple weeks ago. Got the full body scan only to then get the pat down after a tissue was detected in my pants pocket.

When they say EVERYTHING comes out of the pockets ... they mean it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm with you. But be careful, the TSA is trying to get you killed.

Quote:
Other passengers may substitute car travel for air travel. But this too has its consequences, since car travel is much more dangerous than air travel over all. According to the Cornell study, roughly 130 inconvenienced travelers died every three months as a result of additional traffic fatalities brought on by substituting ground transit for air transit. That’s the equivalent of four fully-loaded Boeing 737s crashing each year.
From The Hidden Costs of Extra Security - NYTimes.com

Also, they're not satisfied with just making airports unbearable in the name of security theater, they want to take their show on the road.

News Release April 13, 2012

And

Quote:
TSA VIPR teams—for Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response—conducted over 9,300 random searches in 2011, on cruise ships, at NASCAR races, on buses, and at train stations.
You can run, but you can't hide. At least not in the land of the free.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #458
Give me a forum ...

I don't get the train station gig. Only a dumb terrorist would choose a station.

I wonder if many of the searches of vehicles aren't for drug interdiction.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #459
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I don't get the train station gig. Only a dumb terrorist would choose a station.

I wonder if many of the searches of vehicles aren't for drug interdiction.
You are assuming they are trying to increase safety, as opposed to appearing to increase safety. Also, I think there's a power aspect to it. As in, let's get as big as we can, take over as much territory as we can, and get some serious job security going. Sadly personal liberty gets it in the @ss in the process.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Clearly the terrorists have already won. We get irritated at the folks "protecting" us more than we do at the reason we are being "protected". I'm not suggesting I have the answers, but I think it's obvious that the folks we pay to protect us don't have much clue either. YMMV

Those of you who drive to avoid the "problem" are lucky indeed. Once I reach my mainland destination, I plan extensive travel. THEN I'll avoid air (and bus and train) travel until I recross the Pacific. Not many other options when it comes to vast distances over water. For those who might suggest a cruise ship, I have two words for you: Costa Concordia. Actually, I have no idea if there are any cruise lines making scheduled visits to the Islands. I know there are always one or two lines in and out of the harbor for the rambling and gambling set. I just don't think they actually "go" anywhere. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote