Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #461
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I don't get the train station gig. Only a dumb terrorist would choose a station.

I wonder if many of the searches of vehicles aren't for drug interdiction.
Train stations are the entry point for train bombings, though:

2006 Mumbai train bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings were a series of seven bomb blasts that took place over a period of 11 minutes on the Suburban Railway in Mumbai, the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the nation's financial capital. The bombs were set off in pressure cookers on trains plying the Western line of the Suburban Railway network. 209 people were killed and over 700 were injured.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #462
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
TSA VIPR teams—for Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response—conducted over 9,300 random searches in 2011, on cruise ships, at NASCAR races, on buses, and at train stations.
Gotta love the acronym. You can just see some bunch of wannabe soldiers sitting around trying to come up with a cool name. "How about VIPER teams?" "Yeah, cool! Now all we need is to expand the acronym". See also "USA PATRIOT Act" ("Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism").

In the UK, the government emergency underwear changing station response office is named after the #1 meeting room of the Cabinet Office. That's "Cabinet Office Briefing Room A" or COBRA. Hey, let's have a COBRA meeting. That sound you can hear is the frightened terrorists' teeth chattering, Scooby-Doo style.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #463
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever

Train stations are the entry point for train bombings, though:
Which is why the Testicle Search Authority VIPR team searched all the folks getting OFF the train here:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/2...ing-off-train/

It's all about power and control.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #464
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Which is why the Testicle Search Authority VIPR team searched all the folks getting OFF the train here:

Why Did TSA Pat Down Kids, Adults Getting Off Train? - AOL Travel News
Maybe they're looking for the forgetful bomber...

Quote:
It's all about power and control.
And budget
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #465

Quote:

team searched all the folks getting OFF the train here:
This one made my blood boil .... talk about illeagal search and seizure. Need a team of lawyers for a class action suit ... else this crap will never end.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #466

There is no apology that can be accepted for this violation of the Constitution.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #467
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Our local Congressman objected to having his package searched...

Canseco's 'aggressive' pat-down shown in TSA video
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #468
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Our local Congressman objected to having his package searched...

Canseco's 'aggressive' pat-down shown in TSA video
This whole problem would go away if we were to eliminate flying altogether. Still, there is a certain amount of satisfaction when a congressperson complains about a law he or she supported...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #469
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I flew home last night via an airport that uses contractors rather than the Testicle Search Administration to do security. Far more professional and respectful than the TSA.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #470
Give me a forum ...

To make a snarky comment about those TSA x-ray machines is sooo tempting...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #471
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
To make a snarky comment about those TSA x-ray machines is sooo tempting...
Actually, I wonder if those machines are used as frequent as most expect them to be.

As an example, DW/me flew from Newark to San Fran, and on to Maui two weeks ago, with nothing more than a normal "belt scan".

The same was on the return trip, this past Monday.

Even though most of our travel is to ex-US locations several times a year, we have yet to go through a "body scanner", even though they have been in use for more than a couple years.

Just reflecting on our experience...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #472
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind the concept of a TSA, my complaint is about their 'theater', how they accomplish their mission. You don't see that nonsense from their Israeli counterparts.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #473

Couple weeks ago DW and I flew to Chicago. I was prepared to set off the alarms with my knee replacement and large stent in my abdominal aorta. The ID cards I carry for that purpose were ready. At our airport in Tampa I was surprised they had the latest and greatest full body scanners. I was also surprised they made us take off our shoes as I thought they had suspended that part of the check. Anyway, no alarms went off and everything went well. On the return trip from O'Hare, I again had the ID cards ready. No full body scanners which surprised me. I set off the alarms and I had to step off to the side for the pat down. Got my cards out for the agents but they didn't care to review them. They called a supervisor for this search. Offered to show him the ID cards and he didn't care to see them. Wanted to know if I wanted a private screening or if it could be done right there, which is what I opted for. The pat down was no big deal and didn't feel it was anything to get upset about. I just don't know how anyone could object to this search if they are all done as mine was. I say no big deal.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #474
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
The pat down was no big deal and didn't feel it was anything to get upset about. I just don't know how anyone could object to this search if they are all done as mine was. I say no big deal.
Alas, they are very inconsistent. There appear to be some significant training problems.

Several years ago I drove a car down to San Diego for my son to use while in college. I was flying home, that is, one way and not a round trip, as an unaccompanied male. That appeared sufficient to put a SSSS on my boarding pass. At Gate 1 at San Diego International, I was pulled aside for the secondary screening. Shoes and belt in the bin, empty pockets, stand on the painted footprints, arms out. The usual drill, while the rest of the passengers board the plane and wonder about the suspicious person.

There's a TSA agent in front of my going through my carry on bag, and another behind me with that big metal detector wand. Now, I've lost about 35 pounds from the previous year at this point in time, so my clothes are sort of loose. Sure enough, after holding "the position" for a little while with no belt, my pants start to slip. The agent in front of me shouts "Pull your pants up!", and I lower my arms towards my pants. The agent behind me hits my side, on the rib cage using the metal detector wand as a club, and shouts "Arms out!". My pants fall to the floor. Both agents start screaming, and I'm struck in the back with the metal detector wand. I don't dare move, as I've already been struck twice, and I don't know if one of the other agents in the area might have a weapon aimed at me.

Finally the agent in front of me says I can go, so I look around, see that nobody is ready to whack me again, pull up my pants, grab my shoes and bag and run for the plane in my socks. The ground crew has already removed the rear stairs, but the front stairs are still there and the door is open. (Gate 1 didn't have a jetway. It's an old school, walk on the field to the plane gate.). I left my belt at the gate with the TSA professionals.

If anyone wonders why I have a poor opinion of the TSA, this is the reason why.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #475

Quote:
Alas, they are very inconsistent. There appear to be some significant training problems.

Several years ago I drove a car down to San Diego for my son to use while in college. I was flying home, that is, one way and not a round trip, as an unaccompanied male. That appeared sufficient to put a SSSS on my boarding pass. At Gate 1 at San Diego International, I was pulled aside for the secondary screening. Shoes and belt in the bin, empty pockets, stand on the painted footprints, arms out. The usual drill, while the rest of the passengers board the plane and wonder about the suspicious person.

There's a TSA agent in front of my going through my carry on bag, and another behind me with that big metal detector wand. Now, I've lost about 35 pounds from the previous year at this point in time, so my clothes are sort of loose. Sure enough, after holding "the position" for a little while with no belt, my pants start to slip. The agent in front of me shouts "Pull your pants up!", and I lower my arms towards my pants. The agent behind me hits my side, on the rib cage using the metal detector wand as a club, and shouts "Arms out!". My pants fall to the floor. Both agents start screaming, and I'm struck in the back with the metal detector wand. I don't dare move, as I've already been struck twice, and I don't know if one of the other agents in the area might have a weapon aimed at me.

Finally the agent in front of me says I can go, so I look around, see that nobody is ready to whack me again, pull up my pants, grab my shoes and bag and run for the plane in my socks. The ground crew has already removed the rear stairs, but the front stairs are still there and the door is open. (Gate 1 didn't have a jetway. It's an old school, walk on the field to the plane gate.). I left my belt at the gate with the TSA professionals.

If anyone wonders why I have a poor opinion of the TSA, this is the reason why.
You should have gotten their names and charged them with assault and battery.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #476
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak
You should have gotten their names and charged them with assault and battery.
And missed my flight home.

The TSA people are in a great position. They have an unending supply of random strangers coming through, all of whom have an important appointment to make, arranged at great expense, which they don't want to miss. This gives the odd sadist or criminal in the TSA ranks a certain advantage. Anyone protesting their actions or attempting to file a complaint will miss their flight. The airline won't be inclined to reimburse or rebook on a later flight without the customer paying, as they were at the airport, and chose to do something other than get on the scheduled flight.

Oh, and complaining is a TSA profiling marker for a possible terrorist. That will get you an exciting day in a holding cell.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-15/t...y?_s=PM:TRAVEL

After that secondary inspection, my biggest desire by far was to get the hell away from those people. In retrospect, yes, getting the names would have been a great idea. However, it could also have caused me a great deal of trouble, from simply missing the flight (the airline was holding the door open for me, literally), to the ever popular "failing to follow the instructions of a designated official" in not leaving the checkpoint at once, but trying to get the names of the TSA people.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #477
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......... This gives the odd sadist or criminal in the TSA ranks a certain advantage..........
I suspect that jobs like this attract a higher percentage of sadists and wannabees than your average minimum wage job.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #478

Quote:
And missed my flight home.

The TSA people are in a great position. They have an unending supply of random strangers coming through, all of whom have an important appointment to make, arranged at great expense, which they don't want to miss. This gives the odd sadist or criminal in the TSA ranks a certain advantage. Anyone protesting their actions or attempting to file a complaint will miss their flight. The airline won't be inclined to reimburse or rebook on a later flight without the customer paying, as they were at the airport, and chose to do something other than get on the scheduled flight.

Oh, and complaining is a TSA profiling marker for a possible terrorist. That will get you an exciting day in a holding cell.

TSA security looks at people who complain about ... TSA security - CNN

After that secondary inspection, my biggest desire by far was to get the hell away from those people. In retrospect, yes, getting the names would have been a great idea. However, it could also have caused me a great deal of trouble, from simply missing the flight (the airline was holding the door open for me, literally), to the ever popular "failing to follow the instructions of a designated official" in not leaving the checkpoint at once, but trying to get the names of the TSA people.
I understand and guess since I have no desire to ever fly again my viewpoint is very different. My main worry with the TSA is that they will attempt to expand their operations to other areas of travel.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #479

Boy, M Paq, I don't know if I could have been as nice as you were about that situation. I might still be in jail. Someone wacks me with a scanner and I'm going to deck him. Shoot now and ask questions later is my motto. Certainly they have security cameras recording all the goings on. I'll be damned if I'd let my pants fall down to my knees and not do something about it. Somebody would be decked and maybe me included. I'm 6' 3" and 230# and I wouldn't puit up with that kind of crap. I'd be swinging and set the cameras record it.

Yeah, I know, miss your flight and all that. Easy for me to say, right?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #480
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Actually, I wonder if those machines are used as frequent as most expect them to be.
Both Honolulu & Houston are using the X-ray scanners.

My hearing discrimination is not what it used to be, and after 20 years in Hawaii I'm starting to notice that you Mainland people talk funny. So when we're in a big noisy crowd, a little behind schedule, and a TSA agent mutters his 10,000th repetition of something like "Stateyourfullnameplease" while looking down at my military ID, I get a bit stressed.

What really annoys me is the agent who engages you in "friendly" conversation. Sort of like the submarine inspectors who used to shoot the breeze with you by starting with "How 'bout them Cowboys, huh? Say, lieutenant, what can you tell me about the nuclear reactor power limits for single-loop operations?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote