Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes and I haven't posted a funny link for a while either.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com - Bikini wearer goes through TSA check

I love how this is considered "breaking news"
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #262
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
With plenty of followups!

Next time I'm standing in the passenger-screening line I'll try to decide how many of these people I want to see standing around in their Speedos and bikinis...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
.. I'll try to decide how many of these people I want to see standing around in their Speedos and bikinis...
That's it! No more air travel for me. It's all RV'in from now on.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #264
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I read that that RV'ers are next to be subjected to full body scans and pat-downs at roving checkpoints around the US.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
What not to wear? Clothing a security line issue - Yahoo! Finance

Good grief...I gotta chuck my underwire bras, too?
And say: "They're real, and they are spectacular."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I read that that RV'ers are next to be subjected to full body scans and pat-downs at roving checkpoints around the US.
Get within a hundred miles of the country's perimeter and you are so subject. See an earlier post regarding th government's assertion that that 100 mile buffer is all "border" and within their control for seriously reduced 4th amendment rights.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Yes and I haven't posted a funny link for a while either.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com - Bikini wearer goes through TSA check

Interesting. Seems like the TSA drones had less problem with an attractive woman getting down to her scanties than they did with this lad... Understandable.

calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #268
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Get within a hundred miles of the country's perimeter and you are so subject. See an earlier post regarding th government's assertion that that 100 mile buffer is all "border" and within their control for seriously reduced 4th amendment rights.
I live within 20 miles of the Canadian border and will not be surrendering any of my rights.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #269
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Me too, at least after that January trip to Hawaii we have planned
Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have to agree with this. I've been to many places in the world and currently don't have an overseas place I want to visit.
3rd world countries are all looking alike and the tourist traps in all countries have become tiresome.
I don't know if this is being jaded, aging or just 'been there and seen it'.
Currently, I see my RVing being focused in the USA and Canada.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I have to agree with this. I've been to many places in the world and currently don't have an overseas place I want to visit.
3rd world countries are all looking alike and the tourist traps in all countries have become tiresome.
I don't know if this is being jaded, aging or just 'been there and seen it'.
Currently, I see my RVing being focused in the USA and Canada.
+1

And I thought it was just me.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
+2 This is exactly how I feel about traveling overseas. I went to so many different countries with my family when I was young, that I really have no desire to travel overseas any more.

I don't have or want an RV (yet! ), but I enjoy our trips by car. Barring an emergency I do not have any reason or desire to fly. This is especially true given the recent scope&grope procedures.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Hey, since we are all talking RV now, I recall that our recent 1-month RV trip was the longest travel we have ever done. And you know what? It was the only trip where at the end, we did not miss home and wanted to keep goin'.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #274

Quote:
I don't have any plans to buy an RV but with the hassle that flying has become, I sometimes think (or am I only fantasizing?) about doing all my traveling on the train after I graduate. I have four nieces' graduations to get to (assuming they all go to college)—two of these will be before I retire, so I won't have enough time to get there and back by rail. Then there are a couple of overseas places I'd like to go—I've never been to New Zealand, and I'd like to visit the UK again. Going to NZ would mainly be just to see the sights (although I believe I have distant relatives there), so I could think about just taking a cruise for that trip, but going to the UK I'd want to stay for a while, revisit some places I went before and some I missed the first time around, do some genealogical research, and visit my ancestress' hometown of Tavistock, which I've never seen. I don't know if there is any way other than flying to get across the ocean for that kind of a trip. Are there cruises that let you wander around on your own for a month or two, and meet the ship at a scheduled time and place for the return trip? Are there still ocean liners that sail on a schedule?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #275
Gone but not forgotten

I just returned from a trip and both the airports that I flew from had the scanners but it was not a big deal . Very few people were scanned and I saw no one pulled aside for a pat down .Security moved quickly even with the busy holiday season traffic. These scanners are only at 69 airports so if you really wanted to you could avoid them but frankly I think the media has really overreacted on this issue .

TSA: Frequently Asked Questions
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #276
Give me a forum ...

I was just joking about not flying anymore.

No, there are places abroad that I still like to go to. I still want to visit the town of Cognac, and the Pyrenees region. I have not been to Greece. About NZ, we have been to the north island, but not the south. And we barely scratched the surface regarding Australia. There are so many places that I still like to visit.

It's just that I have sunk costs in this RV+toad setup, and I need to get my money's worth out of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
... Are there cruises that let you wander around on your own for a month or two, and meet the ship at a scheduled time and place for the return trip?
A while back, I read about a no-frill cruise line called easyCruise that let passengers take short legs, one at a time. However, it only visited Mediterranean ports. It was truly no-frill, in fact passengers had to pay for meals. So, it was more like a ferry service, and merely provided a cabin to sleep and overnight transportation to another port. And it was less expensive than many hotel rooms.

I just now look it up, and it appears they only sail between Greek islands now.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #277
Moderator Emeritus

Of course there are trans-Atlantic cruises, kyounge: Trans-Atlantic Cruises - the complete schedule of crossings

You could book one going over and one coming back if you have the time and money and can get to the US departure point without flying.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #278

Quote:
I was just joking about not flying anymore.(snip)
I wasn't entirely. I have several close relatives who have or have had cancer, and I don't want to get exposed to any radiation I don't absolutely have to. I'm about to revolt at the dentist's too—I haven't had a cavity in more than 40 years but they insist on x-raying my teeth periodically. My next appointment is going to be the "pre-retirement flight check"—I'm going to ask them to check everything extra-carefully so I have a couple of years to correct anything that looks like it might go bad during my retirement while I still have insurance. (I'm planning to self-pay dentistry after retirement.) After that I think it's going to be "if you think you see a cavity, we can talk about x-rays but otherwise the last set you took is the last set you're taking". As for the pat-down, the fact that I forget who at the beginning of the thread was threatened with arrest for demanding a woman to search his teenage daughter was enough for me. I am a spinster lady and I don't cotton to the idea of some man feeling me up any more than I do to superfluous radiation exposure. Putting myself on the "no fly" list is a real option for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
A while back, I read about a no-frill cruise line called easyCruise that let passengers take short legs, one at a time. However, it only visited Mediterranean ports. It was truly no-frill, in fact passengers had to pay for meals. So, it was more like a ferry service, and merely provided a cabin to sleep and overnight transportation to another port. And it was less expensive than many hotel rooms.

I just now look it up, and it appears they only sail between Greek islands now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Of course there are trans-Atlantic cruises, kyounge: Trans-Atlantic Cruises - the complete schedule of crossings

You could book one going over and one coming back if you have the time and money and can get to the US departure point without flying.
It's a pity that no-frills line doesn't do trans-atlantic, since that is exactly what I had in mind. I meant something different by an ocean liner than cruise. To me an ocean liner means transportation by ship, without the entertainment, fancy food etc, associated with the term "cruise". I suppose if there are enough people who want to get across the ocean with no frills and no flying, ocean liners will come back.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #279
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's a pity that no-frills line doesn't do trans-atlantic, since that is exactly what I had in mind. I meant something different by an ocean liner than cruise. To me an ocean liner means transportation by ship, without the entertainment, fancy food etc, associated with the term "cruise". I suppose if there are enough people who want to get across the ocean with no frills and no flying, ocean liners will come back.
Ah, like a banana boat? Here is another site that might be interesting for you:

Maris Freighter Cruise & Travel Club, Around the World Cruises
Old 11-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As for the pat-down, the fact that I forget who at the beginning of the thread was threatened with arrest for demanding a woman to search his teenage daughter was enough for me. I am a spinster lady and I don't cotton to the idea of some man feeling me up any more than I do to superfluous radiation exposure.
It is this Post #34.

Yes, I remember reading it and wanting to do a bit of further research on that. Is it really true that TSA male agents are allowed to search women, so that there might be a fist fight among them for the "honor" when a nice looking woman comes walking down the line?