The Chicago convenience store incident

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
The Wichita convenience store incident

:eek:
I just found it so upsetting to read about the Wichita convenience store where a woman was stabbed and lay dying on the ground. No one called police (and this is not against the law---you only have to aid someone who has been in a car accident). But what really strikes me as callous is that a woman did take the time to take a photo of it on her cell phone (I guess it was a souvenir to show friends).

I don't take this as an indictment against Wichita. I realize it could have happened anywhere. But was it more likely to occur in a convenience store than, say, a regular grocery store or a store like Whole Foods/Trader Joe's? I don't know---the last time I set foot in a convenience store was to buy a Slurpee at 7-11 30 years ago! I guess part of me would rather think there's something about convenience store shoppers that would be this uncaring rather than thinking it's the general public.

Chicago Tribune news | Registration

Last edited:
:eek:
I just found it so upsetting to read about the Wichita convenience store where a woman was stabbed and lay dying on the ground. No one called police (and this is not against the law---you only have to aid someone who has been in a car accident). But what really strikes me as callous is that a woman did take the time to take a photo of it on her cell phone (I guess it was a souvenir to show friends).

I don't take this as an indictment against Wichita. I realize it could have happened anywhere. But was it more likely to occur in a convenience store than, say, a regular grocery store or a store like Whole Foods/Trader Joe's? I don't know---the last time I set foot in a convenience store was to buy a Slurpee at 7-11 30 years ago! I guess part of me would rather think there's something about convenience store shoppers that would be this uncaring rather than thinking it's the general public.

Chicago Tribune news | Registration

I think many states have Good Samaritan laws to protect people that would try to help. But I do not think people are compelled to help. I cannot imagine anyone not calling 911.

We do it a tad differently in Texas. This customer shot the bad guy in the a$$. Oh, he did call 911!

Star-Telegram.com | 07/05/2007 | Face to face with robber, this gun owner strikes first

In the article they refer to the customer as "the man" to protect his identity. Plus if you read the entire article, it looks like he's been coached as to what to say.... he's in fear for his life, don't ya know. Quote:

The man said he entered the store and saw a man pointing a gun at him, so he raised his hands in the air.
They both started to speak at the same time. Then, the man said, he sensed he was about to get shot.
"He has his finger on the trigger," he said.
So, he said, he drew his Beretta -- advertised as "The firearm that protects America" -- and fired first.
He couldn't tell whether he hit the robber, who fled out the door, he said. When the robber turned partly back toward him, he fired twice more. He saw the robber stumble.
Another man, apparently an accomplice, helped him escape through a field, he said. A third robber may have fled out another door.
Blood found on the ground led officers to believe that the robber had been shot, Sullivan said.
A short time later, Rayshaun Johnson was dropped off at Huguley Memorial Medical Center in south Fort Worth, police said.
He had suffered gunshot wounds to the buttocks and foot.
Johnson was under police guard at the hospital Wednesday, Sullivan said. He could face aggravated-robbery charges when he is released.

He had suffered gunshot wounds to the buttocks and foot.

This is yet another example supporting the need for better gun control. Seriously, all "the man" got in was a couple of shots to the buttocks and foot? No torso or head shots?!? More and better gun control needed. :D

This is yet another example supporting the need for better gun control. Seriously, all "the man" got in was a couple of shots to the buttocks and foot? No torso or head shots?!? More and better gun control needed. :D

The righteous citizen knew what to say "the robber was turning towards me" if I remember correctly. If the robber was running away he might have been in the wrong to shoot the robber because the threat was gone.

Buttocks and foot - yes that is a strange combination. I would guess he shot one handed - he could have been raising the gun for the first shot and then limp wristed the second one. Or the first one was to the foot as he was raisign the gun and then the second was a little higher.

In the Wichita incident, some patron did call 911. Not store management.
Fire dept., showed up first but, would not enter the building until it had been secured. Which is SOP, as I understand.

Now, some local agitators, are blaming the fire department! Which, is a bunch of BS. Now this occurred, in what I would call a high crime area of the city, with shootings, stabbings, drugs on a daily basis.

This will make national news,-- just watch.

Well, maybe the shot to the foot is explainable if the store clerk was heeding the advice of Lazarus Long.

"Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect."

Of course, a shot to the buttocks may not be perfect--but it proved good enough.

Yep. "I was in fear for my life." Gotta say it.

More work at the shooting range is needed.........;)

When I used to shoot pistols consistently, the guy who taught me said that "if someone's trying to kill you, make sure they don't live to try again on someone else"............. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom