the cold season

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
For those not in the tropics:

Have you engaged the furnace/boiler/whatever?

60F indoors this morning, stayed at 60 or 61 all day (50 outside).

In the morning I'll turn up the thermostat to 60.

We have in-room heaters, so being up in the Pacific Northwest we have already engaged them (not today - weather was gorgeous).

You better believe it!

-3C this morning (26.6F) :D

YUP +4C last two mornings. Brought the Geraniums in too. First hard frost predicted Sunday/Monday

BRuce

We are going to see how far we can go ito the fall without the heat on here in the raleigh area of NC. Its been hot up until last night anyway AC came on yesterday and it was 80 in the house!! This am its 61 with a wet breeze so it will chill down the house today .

Here in the Boston area it's been unseasonably warm. I've turned the heat on just a few times to take the chill off the house in the morning, once the sun comes up it's kept the house at 70+ most of the day. Monday it was actually warmer outside than in the house. I hope this keeps up for a few more weeks, sure helps on the heating bills.

Haven't had the heat on yet, but I think I'll need it this week. The weather has been faboo here in northeast PA.

In Michigan our warm spell is over and I kicked in the furnace - or tried to. Thermocouple had died over the summer. It is replaced now and the furnace is cheerfully sucking up gas. I added 6" of additional fiberglass insulation in the attic and have the shingle nail imprints in my head to prove it.

I was doing fine without heat until I found that my daughter had turned it on without my knowing.:bat: Turned it off again!!

In Michigan our warm spell is over and I kicked in the furnace.

Yup...the weatherman threatened an early morning frost and we even brought in the plants that had been summering on the deck. Furnace is set at 62 degrees, just enough to take the chill off -- and with today's sunshine, the rooms are warming up beautifully!

When I lived in "The Tundra" (aka Madison, WI) the scariest phrase in the English language was, "have you winterized your car yet?"

Um, I put away the fan this morning but expect to bring it out again in a couple a days, if the weatherman is correct.

Not yet (mpls, MN), although I started a fire for a couple hours one cloudy day.
Our house is heavily insulated with large southern facing windows. So far the house has warmed up enough during the day and not lost too much heat overnight to warant turning on the furnace/heat exchanger.

Furnace has come on once or twice recently (Central OH) but today it is pretty warm outside 65 degrees or so. I did suggest a couple of days ago to DW that maybe the large bed heating pad ought to be installed at next sheet change. Happened this morning; love that thing turn it on low about 20 minutes before getting in the sack. We keep thermostat at 65 degrees from 8 am to 7 pm then 55 degrees. I got used to the north Florida warmth and after 19 years down there and after 2 years up here it is getting better.

...the large bed heating pad ought to be installed at next sheet change. Happened this morning; love that thing turn it on low about 20 minutes before getting in the sack. ...

I agree! I invested in a heated mattress pad a couple of years ago and have saved a nice amt on our heating bill by turning down (way down!) the thermostat at night. However, on some of the coldest nights, we do end up with two dogs and a cat in the bed, too!

56 in the house this morning. Cooking breakfast brought it up to 57, so I didn't turn on the heat.

Right now 62 inside, 64 outside, sunny with windows open.

No heat yet, it's still nice in NC. I just love this time of year... no heat or AC required. :)

I turned the thermostat up about 3 weeks ago. The furnace has run maybe a half dozen times since then.....usually has been just pre-dawn for a few minutes to take the early morning chill out. Love our hot water radiators!!!

It's been an economical autumn in Chicagoland. Haven't run the AC since late August and the furnace only recently kicked on a few times in the early morning. So, close to two months with zero cooling or heating costs.

Last winter was very mild, by our standards. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out this year......

22 degrees this morning. We have a heat pump it has run in the mornings since mid September.

Back
Top Bottom