Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We pay the first $90/month of her bill (she pays for going over 200 texts/month)
Adopt me, please!! That is terrific and should help her considerably.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I succumb to the Apple magic with some regularity. Soon I'll have to buy a cell phone (after Mar. 31, to be exact) and I am torn between the iPhone and the Google Nexus One phone. Both are amazing, but my history is such that the iPhone will probably win. Again.

Good choices for the DD. You might even get 4 years out of them without a breakdown. And try iChat, Dad -- the video kind.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I succumb to the Apple magic with some regularity. Soon I'll have to buy a cell phone (after Mar. 31, to be exact) and I am torn between the iPhone and the Google Nexus One phone. Both are amazing, but my history is such that the iPhone will probably win. Again.

Good choices for the DD. You might even get 4 years out of them without a breakdown. And try iChat, Dad -- the video kind.
I want to be a Nexus fan, really I do, even though there are 20k apps to the Iphone's 100k. The chance to use Verizon vs AT&T is attractive and open software is as well. Reading reviews the Nexus just isn't as smooth - much better camera, ability to replace the battery, removable memory, much better screen resolution... all great, but not as Apple-y. And that's not a good thing.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I want to be a Nexus fan, really I do, even though there are 20k apps to the Iphone's 100k. The chance to use Verizon vs AT&T is attractive and open software is as well. Reading reviews the Nexus just isn't as smooth - much better camera, ability to replace the battery, removable memory, much better screen resolution... all great, but not as Apple-y. And that's not a good thing.
I know.

If nords would indulge us a brief hijack... but the Nexus really uses the Google "cloud" which you can sorta do with mobile.me on the iPhone but not quite as powerfully (and for $100 a year, free on Google). I tend to use google online apps a lot -- their spreadsheet, documents, calendar -- whatever -- and they are amazing, and well integrated into the Nexus One.

Most importantly, with either phone, is that I have switched to Google Voice and have received a number. Now it doesn't matter if I am home, working, RVing, or traveling I can be easily reached if I want to (or not, if I don't want to) and even if we move from here some day, the number will follow me.

But as I said above and you said too, the "Apple Magic" is hard to resist, and the iPhone is a stunning product. If they go to Verizon, I will probably jump.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Instead of bootcamp or parallels, I highly recommend VMFusion from VMWare. If you go to the Apple store and ask to test drive the three, you will see why.

The backlit keyboard is functional when typing in bed in the dark like right now.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Instead of bootcamp or parallels, I highly recommend VMFusion from VMWare. If you go to the Apple store and ask to test drive the three, you will see why.
But I think the first questions is - do you really need to run any Windows-only software at all?

When the Macs first switched to Intel processors, I was very interested in the various options to run Windows SW - I looked into installing some of the free/demo releases, then I realized - why bother? I really had no need to run any Windows SW. The Mac is also pretty well supported by the open source community, since Linux and OSX share the same Unix roots.

It's nice to know that you can if you need, but I'd really Q the need. My son has had his (non-Intel) MacBook going strong for 6 years now, daughter is in Junior year at college with no need to run Windows SW. It's probably a non-issue these days - with a few exceptions. If it is a very occasional need, there is the computer lab, or borrow a friends Wintel.

Conversely, when DD took a programming class, the Windows users had to install UNIX compatible compilers, her book said that everything they needed was pre-installed on a Mac, and it was.

Oh, and there is WINE, which is a free download, does not require Windows, and will run *some* Windows programs on a Mac /Linux. Since it is free, I've played with it, and then said "gee, that's nice, it says I have a "C" drive - whoopee".

-ERD50
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'm running a Macbook in a Windows corporate environment.

It is true that one may not need any Windows software, but that's not my situation.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'm running a Macbook in a Windows corporate environment.

It is true that one may not need any Windows software, but that's not my situation.
Understood - but (at least in my experience) that is far less likely for a college student.

-ERD50
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Understood - but (at least in my experience) that is far less likely for a college student.

-ERD50
True, but Nords daughter is studying civil engineering and will need Autocad, Microstation and possibly other PC friendly software. I dont know if these software packages run on the Mac OS.

Like LOL!, I'm running VMFusion. I just loaded it a few days ago, and I'm getting ready to add CAD software soon.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

DW needs to use Windoze when she accesses some real estate sites for the MLS.

She says her Mac running Fusion is faster than the dedicated Windows machines at her broker's office.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the software suggestions, guys, I'll throw them over the wall to our kid and let her sort them out.

VMWare. I should've thought of that.

She came to me all excited the other day after reading Rice's website, full of the news that they had some newfangled computer system running a completely new type of OS called (phonetically, her pronunciation) "lie-noocks". She's remained largely impervious to my attempts to educate her on computer science, so it'll be interesting to see what the Rice crowd does to her knowledge level. Maybe next Christmas break we can swap computer geek jokes.

That backlit keyboard is most cool, true. But speaking as both a parent and a former teen, there are better things for a teen to be doing in bed in the dark. I had this conversation with her, at which point my commentary was greeted with an eye-rolling "Daaaaaaa--aad!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The iPhone is an incredible product. Whenever oldest son is around and we are out on the town we constantly find ourselves asking him to use the iPhone for a lookup of info. It's great for comparison shopping. If I could justify the $30 a month data plan I would get one, but I'm too damn stingy.

I'm being tugged toward Macs more and more, and after a recent Windows laptop purchase that included Windows 7, and it's total lack of drivers to connect to the network printer I'm getting closer to becoming a total Apple customer.

All this from a guy who once would have rather been caught dead than have an Apple product.

On software purchases, check with the school, most of them have super discounted software for students. $10 a disc prices on operating systems, MS Office, etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
VMWare. I should've thought of that.
Try this: VirtualBox

This is based on some open source projects, and has Sun's engineers behind it. The price is right for us FIRE types. Free.

I use is to run Windows 7 (for support of recalcitrant relatives) and Linux on top of a Mac OSX 10.6 installation.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Try this: VirtualBox
This is based on some open source projects, and has Sun's engineers behind it. The price is right for us FIRE types. Free.
I use is to run Windows 7 (for support of recalcitrant relatives) and Linux on top of a Mac OSX 10.6 installation.
Excellent, thanks.

I've told her the story of your spinning-basketball contribution to Mac lore...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing people forget about Macs is that they have resale value.

I've sold every mac i've had since 1998 for at least $500 after at least 2 years of use and up to $1100. I sold my old imac for $500 last year. I paid $899 for it in 1999.

Every PC that I've had since 1994, I've given away. We are talking $2500 machines here.

With vmware fusion I am done buying any more PCs.

You can use any usb external drive for time machine. I have a WD 320Gb that works like a charm.