Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Coming Economic Collapse
Old 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Martha, we don't use paper towels-- we find plenty of old washcloths at Goodwill and just rotate them through the sink duty. But you don't have to tell Greg that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Lifecycle of a new shirt for me:
Someone else buys it and donates it to Goodwill.* Then I buy it.* Wear it forever until it gets worn out.* It is then cut into rags.* When the rags get threadbare, use them to restuff pillowcases.* When the pillows get too old, burn them as fuel.
You people do this, right?* I'm not the crazy one, right?*
Actually I don't have to cut up my old t-shirts since they're usually swiss cheese by the time they end up in the rag bucket. They never get threadbare, either-- we just use them to clean up after an oil change, and then we re-use them as charcoal starters (saves on lighter fluid).

I thought everyone does stuff like that too. You mean we're the only ones?

Our American flag is getting old & ragged so we bought a new one. When we get around to raising the new one, we'll transfer the old one to the grill (after I teach the kid how to fold it properly). Then we'll burn it, but as we do that we'll let her practice with an old fire extinguisher that's dropped below its usable pressure yet still retains some training value. When that runs out then we'll continue with the BBQ...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Victoria, especially, is beyoootiful! But, a few years ago, I was up there at Christmas time.* My **** shrunk!* * Is that right or should it be shrank?
Are you saying you don't dig Canadian women? 'Cause I've known a few that as best I can remember made my **** swell. But they were Austrian immigrants, so I suppose that could be the difference.

Ha

Old 04-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Picture of Greg's frugality is the paper towels that he saws (yes, uses a saw) in half before putting on the paper towel holdler:*
I don't think anyone could say that Greg doesn't walk the walk.

Ha
Old 04-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Watch out Martha,* in the summer he's going to start using leaves.
. . . to replace toilet paper.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Watch out Martha, in the summer he's going to start using leaves.
No! I've got this all planned out in case anything bad happens. The first year we moved to our current house, DW planted little cedars close to the house. I was not impressed :P. The next year, she planted a few broad-leaved deciduous thingies (anyway, regular tree parts?). That made me happy as my mind began to move . So here's the entire plan:

1) Spring: fresh dandilions
2) Summer: grass
3) Fall: leaves, carefully collected and saved between sheets of
4) Winter: a bucket of snow, placed convienently near the commode and refreshed, as need.

Consider it "the bum's rush." And it adds variety and texture to a regular (or irregular) routine.

--DH
Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hm, maybe they've got gold leaf toilet paper?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
I've got this all planned out in case anything bad happens.

1) Spring: fresh dandilions
2) Summer: grass
3) Fall: leaves, carefully collected and saved between sheets of
4) Winter: a bucket of snow, placed convienently near the commode and refreshed, as need.
It appears to me that something "bad" has already happened at the Apocalypse residence...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Are you saying you don't dig Canadian women? 'Cause I've known a few that as best I can remember made my **** swell. But they were Austrian immigrants, so I suppose that could be the difference.

Ha
Not even close. Love Canadian women. That was a weather comment. I swell when I can.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #69

Draw up a What If's scenario.?

American debt is so bad, $ falls rapidly, interest rates go up dramatically, what would be the effect on my personal lifestyle?

If the answer is I lose my House, my portfolio will drop dramatically, then changes should be made.

If the answer is nothing, the don't do any thing, weather the storm.

I can tell you the concern over the U.S .Debt was a major isssue on our Business Channel and is a major concern in Europe.

A Smart Investor is waiting for the smoke to clear, the Fed has not finished tightening, it will be forced to several more to defend the International Value of the Greenback.

I am an Economist, I graduated from the same school as Nobel Prize winner, Myron Scholes, my US Holdings are minimal.

I have on my wall a 100,000 Deutsche Mark, worth nothing, issued during the Bundesbank when people took money in a wheelbarrow to buy a loaf of bread.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

if you are like me and have your money in dollars, bonds, mutual funds, cds etc. then what do you do? do you make changes today?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
if you are like me and have your money in dollars, bonds, mutual funds, cds etc. then what do you do? do you make changes today?
I think Cool Dude has the best suggestion I've heard on this subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Someone should start a company marketing bullets made of gold. That way when the apocalypse comes, you can choose depending on the situation to trade your bullets for food, or to shoot them at your neighbor.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Nords said:
Quote:
What a coincidence, my nephew says he saw a higher standard of living in Afghanistan than in the area around Fort Polk, LA...
He was right. I was in basic training at Ft Polk. I seen Leesville.

[Question from the Hicksyclopedia:
Which is correct?
a) I seen Leesville,
b) I seed Leesville,
c) I done seen Leesville.]

(Geez! I hope Dory doesn't have to pay for all the bandwidth that is getting used up on this thread. )
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
I* am an Economist, I graduated from the same school as Nobel Prize winner, Myron Scholes, my US Holdings are minimal.
I say again, Max, is that the same Myron Scholes that put Long-Term Capital Management down the tubes, attempted to shield his profits in an illegal tax shelter, and was fined $40M by the Internal Revenue Service? I wonder how much he paid for his economics degree... and I hope you're not planning to ride his coattails.

I wonder how he does his risk analysis? As Bill Sharpe has said before, it's a good thing that the Nobel committee doesn't repossess them.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I think Cool Dude has the best suggestion I've heard on this subject:

Yep, and when Mad--Max, and the Canadian Volunteers come looking for the Cool One, he could offer them a choice.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I say again, Max, is that the same Myron Scholes that put Long-Term Capital Management down the tubes, attempted to shield his profits in an illegal tax shelter, and was fined $40M by the Internal Revenue Service? I wonder how much he paid for his economics degree... and I hope you're not planning to ride his coattails.

I wonder how he does his risk analysis? As Bill Sharpe has said before, it's a good thing that the Nobel committee doesn't repossess them.
Damn Nords, you beat me to the punch!

I generally don't think too fondly of folks who lose billions of dollars like he did. Even if they do have a nobel peace prize.

And I was taught law and economics by a guy that went to the school that ole Myron went to. Does that make me a geeeeniouuuuusss?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #76

Cool Dood just quit suing the Canadian Flag in your aavtar and pretending to be Canadian, you are welcome to your thoughts and opinions, however [edited by moderator] they may be.

The US economy is on the brink, the Fed will be forced to do multiple tightenings to slow the collapse of the dollar, the tightening of ineterest rates will deflate the Real Estate boom, the American Consumer will stop spending because he has refinanced his house multiple times and now has little extra money.

You people can do what you want, I don't give a Fiddlers Fart in February what happens to your personal finances, I just know that when all those bargains spring up south of the Border I will be in great shape to buy, if that is what we want.

Scholes made an error, so did Soros, so did Jimmy Rogers, so did Warren Buffet,etc, no one hits 1000.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Damn Nords, you beat me to the punch!*
Two weeks ago-- http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...4367#msg124367

But I couldn't tell that Max was bothering to read what others wrote about his posts...

An "error"!?!? Dropping a fly ball is an error. Leaving the front door unlocked is an error. Forgetting to defrost something for dinner is an error. So is a math mistake in a checkbook.

But the nation's largest investment firm implosion? A billion here, a couple more billion there, an indictment or two, an eight-figure fine-- pretty soon you're talking "mistakes" or even a "bad decision"!

Old 04-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
You people can do what you want, I don't give a Fiddlers Fart in February what happens to your personal finances, I just know that when all those bargains spring up south of the Border I will be in great shape to buy, if that is what we want.

Scholes made an error, so did Soros, so did Jimmy Rogers, so did Warren Buffet,etc, no one hits 1000.
Hitler made an error too. Discussion is over now!!!1

justin,

A graduate of the same school as Michael Jordan, though in spite of that I have zero basketball skillz. US President # 11, James Polk also attended my little school in the woodz.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #79

Maximillion: A number of folks here have been thru many episodes of a doom & gloom scenerio, e.g. Ho**s, Donner, me, etc. I too am a firm believer in the liklihood of it happening. After reading a few of your posts, I see nothing new or revealing about what to do about it. First, might I suggest you don't press people so hard? Second, it is frustrating for both of us to watch a number of the threads on this board as we think they just don't get it. They DO get it. And in many cases they have already done something about it--just to a lesser extent than we may do for ourselves. Don't incessantly pound on folks. Are you sincerely trying to help? Or are you just promoting your superiority? Third, just smile when they take those "severe" potshots at you. We will either have the last laugh--or we won't. When I'm wound up this thought about last laugh helps dissipate some of the frustration. Get used to it! This little decline is going to take years to unwind itself--or so it appears to me. Finally, people here like evidence. Give them links and charts and explainations of what it may mean. They like that stuff. Me too. Especially topical, here and now stuff that allows a few wisea**s to make wisea** comments. It's a good thing and a very enjoyable path to follow. Come join me. Why would people willingly stick their heads in a black hole of suffocating darkness? Don't answer that! Just PM me. Also remember, near the very end, only the people that understood what was really going on will have all the money. Would it be right that only those who didn't understand have it all? So, do your best to make money now, then when the time is ready, spend a decent portion on repairing the damage wrought by gov't and such . . . um . . . stuff.

This first session is $100 $500. Inflation, it's fun too.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Maximillion:* Come join me.* Why would people willingly stick their heads in a black hole of suffocating darkness?* Don't answer that!* Just PM me.*
A wonderful suggestion!