The continuing Saga of the suicide purger..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The scenario is the same: My work buddy and I are walking the parking lot to get much needed exercise. He spent a lot of effort to lose weigh with the help a weigh loss doctor - then put the weight back on and then some. He tells me his latest exploit...

Apparently there was a 10 year old, $1,600 pool table in the lower level of his home that hadn’t heard a ‘rack em up’ in years. My buddy’s first year post college son still lives home and the lower level has become his ‘gaming area’ and space was at a premium. “I went into the garage and got a sledge hammer and a few tools”. The Mrs saw or caught him (depending on your point of view) and said “what are you up to?” - Answer: “I am getting rid of that pool table”. She responded “I dont want you too” ... “too late I already smashed it”. She walks off in a ‘huff’. He breaks the pool up and disposes it at the local landfill.

He goes on to explain that as busy as he is (this guy works and then works some more..it is a very demanding job) he does doesn’t have the time or inclination to sell or have that monster moved for $300.
I am incredulous - Purge fever apparently does strange things to otherwise decent people. Now dont get into a tizzy about how selfish this guy is as I fully understand. The Mantra: If it doesn’t go now it never will. I believe he’s right.

I have been enjoying the fruits of my garage purging and painting for a couple of weeks now. I walk out into my clean, element protected garage and get not my car and hit the button and Im away.
All is not perfect in Mudville though as I got a call yesterday at work that “a wire” was dangling outside the garage. When I got home I found that my garage door would not open and something was amiss with that spring loaded bar that runs across the top. I had been warned not to mess with that bar. We called a garage door service.
I must say I thought to myself “it never ends”..

When i get the nerve up I’m making a pre purge assessment of that basement. Maybe this weekend. Im sure as soon as i finish the water heater will go.

Last edited:
Yeah, a home is a lousy investment. Front and back loaded. ill-liquid, taxed annually, and sucks at least 1% of cost (usually more) in annual repairs.

While we love our home, we are honest enough to know it's doing us no financial favors.

We are in a purge "light" mode - - - getting rid of some accumulation, but it could be a lot more.

<snip> The Mrs saw or caught him (depending on your point of view) and said “what are you up to?” - Answer: “I am getting rid of that pool table”. She responded “I dont want you too” ... “too late I already smashed it”. She walks off in a ‘huff’. He breaks the pool up and disposes it at the local landfill. <snip>

Based on this post and the other thread about him, your friend basically straight-up lies to his wife about what he is doing (or has done) with household belongings, whenever it suits his purposes or makes his life easier.

Playing with fire and quite disrespectful of his wife. :(

I agree. But based on the post's tone, this sounds like a Flintstones marriage, where Wilma and Betty act annoyed for a while, but soon forgive "the boys" for going behind their backs.

Based on this post and the other thread about him, your friend basically straight-up lies to his wife about what he is doing (or has done) with household belongings, whenever it suits his purposes or makes his life easier.

Your friend probably could have purged that pool table with a lot less work and made a few $$'s at the same time. I had to get rid of a pool table a few years ago when moving and downsizing. Had no problems selling it and having someone else pay for the disassemble and moving cost, no work at all on my part.

Your friend probably could have purged that pool table with a lot less work and made a few $$'s at the same time. I had to get rid of a pool table a few years ago when moving and downsizing. Had no problems selling it and having someone else pay for the disassemble and moving cost, no work at all on my part.

+1

I agree. But based on the post's tone, this sounds like a Flintstones marriage, where Wilma and Betty act annoyed for a while, but soon forgive "the boys" for going behind their backs.

It also seems rather passive aggressive. Not like a healthy respectful marriage. Not one I'd want to be in anyway.... to each their own.

And yes, large heavy expensive things are not hard to sell on craigslist, for very little effort.

+1 I did the same thing-cost about $300 to disassemble and reassemble the pool table. It was paid by the buyer.:)
I threw in the light, ball cabinet and cue rack and cues (other than my cue).

It's the best many people can aspire to, and to quote a senior official, they probably knew that going in...

Not like a healthy respectful marriage. Not one I'd want to be in anyway.... to each their own.

That is so funny. I imagine he smashed it because if his wife wanted it she would probably not let him sell it. So he took the path of least resistance:))

Or else she would insist on trying to sell it, and expect him to manage the sale. We have had those discussions in our household.

(Don't these people ever talk anything out? :confused:)

That is so funny. I imagine he smashed it because if his wife wanted it she would probably not let him sell it. So he took the path of least resistance:))

Had that happen with my old pool table in a roundabout way. My ex-roommate and his friend took it, loaded it up in the back of their truck, right side up. Then they took a curve too fast and the pool table came tumbling out, smashed all over the road.

Is it possible that a pool table is the most regretted home purchase? I bet it's close to the top of the list

Is it possible that a pool table is the most regretted home purchase? I bet it's close to the top of the list

I believe it. I bought a house 20 years ago and the owners "gifted" me with the pool table. They were moving out of town on their own dime so probably didn't want the expense of taking it with them. Six years later I had a corporate move to a house with a finished basement so it went with us but we almost never used it. We sold that house 2 years ago and "gifted" the new owners with the pool table. Phew!

It probably is for many. I bought a rarely used pool table a few years ago from a co-worker...they had a very nice $3000 table that they never used and which took up too much space.

I got it for $1000 and paid $300 to have it moved to my place. I still use it semi-regularly.

I used to shoot pool quite a bit and would really enjoy a pool table, but I have never had a house with enough room for one. That's a lot of space...

Pool tables make very large end tables, kind of like grand pianos.:cool:

I put a 4x8 sheet of plywood on mine when it's not in use so it can be used as a table or a "landing station" for fellow bandmates instruments and gig bags.

I knew a family who had a lovely antique oak pool table with an oak cover. Its default use was as their dining room table. After clearing away the dishes, they could take off the top and play a game of pool. Fortunately they had a spacious dining room!

I knew a family who had a lovely antique oak pool table with an oak cover. Its default use was as their dining room table. After clearing away the dishes, they could take off the top and play a game of pool. Fortunately they had a spacious dining room!

The Clampetts?

Yeah, a home is a lousy investment. Front and back loaded. ill-liquid, taxed annually, and sucks at least 1% of cost (usually more) in annual repairs.

Not always. My first house, a very modest cape cod, I bought for $178,000 roughly 22 years ago. The after tax benefit cost of the monthly mortgage/Tax/Insurance was about the same as the rent I paid for our two bedroom apartment. The Mrs and I put a lot of sweat equity in that house and sold it, ten years later, for just under $500,000. When I did the math we lived there for free. We paid off the mortgage a bit before we sold it and bought the current, twice as large, Casa del RayinPenn for cash.

But sometimes you are right. The current home is worth maybe 50K more then we paid almost 12 years ago. Ive easily sunk that into this house.. windows, roof (2X), doors, stoves, new Boiler/AC, Stucco repairs etc...

It isn’t about money though - it is about a comfort, privacy, being the master of your domain and the killer school district. Still every now and then something breaks and I’m under the sink or having the stucco repaired for thousands ...

Last edited:

You may not agree with me but I believe the refusal get rid of useless clutter is a insidious disease. Do you really think there was any need to keep those old blinds behind the couch for years? Or the unused pool table? I suspect that two days later the incidents are forgotten. His wife will walk through the center of the downstairs and enjoy the newly freed up space.

Ive learned not to be quick in judging other peoples relationships; My buddy is a hard working stiff that probably never said no to the Mrs.

That's why I keep channeling Fred and Wilma. You describe these incidents so it sounds like the men treat the women like dim-bulbs, but then you say it's all OK with the women, who appreciate having their difficult de-cluttering decisions made for them. To me it all seems very 1962, but...yabba-dabba-doo! :LOL:

You may not agree with me but I believe the refusal get rid of useless clutter is a insidious disease. Do you really think there was any need to keep those old blinds behind the couch for years? Or the unused pool table? I suspect that two days later the incidents are forgotten. His wife will walk through the center of the downstairs and enjoy the newly freed up space.

Ive learned not to be quick in judging other peoples relationships; My buddy is a hard working stiff that probably never said no to the Mrs.

Back
Top Bottom