Join Early Retirement Today

The Dash of Life
Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Dash of Life

Received via email.....

HOW WE SPEND THE DASH OF LIFE

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend. He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning... to end.

He noted that 1st came the date of her birth and spoke of the following date with tears, but he said what mattered most of all was the "Dash" between those years.

For that "Dash" represents all the time that she spent alive on earth... and now only those who loved her know what that "little line" is worth.

For it matters NOT, how much schooling we have; our hobbies; our possessions; or our cash... What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our "Dash."

So think about this long and hard... are there things you'd like to change? For you never know how much time is left. You could be at "Dash" midrange.

If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real, and always try to understand the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more and love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with RESPECT, and more often wear a smile... remembering that this special "Dash" might only last a while.

So, when your eulogy is being read with your life's actions to rehash... would you be proud of the things they say about how you spent your "Dash?"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Dash of Life
Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I agree it went by pretty quick. I basically answer only to myself and set my own rules. Thus, if I am satisfied with my behavior and what I leave behind,
that is enough. Strangely, I am reminded of a Bob
Knight speech after one of his famous outbursts
(obviously he is a personal hero). Goes something like this:

When my time on earth is done
and my good work here is past,
I hope they bury me upside down,
so the world can kiss my ass.

That's not quite it, but you get the gist.

JG

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Well, I agree it went by pretty quick. *I basically answer only to myself and set my own rules. *Thus, if I am satisfied with my behavior and what I leave behind,
that is enough. *Strangely, I am reminded of a Bob
Knight speech after one of his famous *outbursts
(obviously he is a personal hero). *Goes something like this:

When my time on earth is done
and my good work here is past,
I hope they bury me upside down,
so the world can kiss my ass.

That's not quite it, but you get the gist.

JG
You're close John, but one major difference, the last sentence is "so my detractors can kiss my ass.
I attended 2 sports clinics in the 80's that Bob Knight attended, and he actually was a very personable guy.

I liked him also, but he was on thin ice for a long time, especially with the PC climate that coaches have to live under. (He ran his club much like a Marine Drill instructor, but like Woody Hayes at Ohio State, there were very few kids that played for either of them that had anything but good things to say about them.

Tough job nowadays, when you have to make positively sure you don't offend anyone. (The graveyards are full of sports announcers, coaches, etc. that were relegated to the dust bowl of history, for one off-hand remark).

It's an environment that I am supremely happy that I no longer have to worry about. (Unless, of course, somebody wants to kick my a--).

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #4

Jeez Jarhead, I feel just the same. Must be a generational thing.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote