Join Early Retirement Today

The Day the Music Died
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Day the Music Died

It was 50 years ago today...
iReporters remember 'the day the music died' - CNN.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Holly was before my time, but I'll never forget the day Jerry Garcia died - where I was, who told me, etc. It's amazing that the death of one modest person can be up there with the likes of 9/11 or the Space Shuttle disasters.

"American Pie" was truly one of the all-time greatest one-hit wonders. Apropos to this forum, I like the answer he gave when asked what the lyrics mean: "It means I never have to work again."

(Edit: Just because it's an amazing song doesn't mean I want to hear it again. Ever! But Vincent is rather pretty. Thanks for reminding me, harley.)
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I hate that song! I have probably heard that song more often than any other song in my life. It's not that the song is so bad, it's just the Chinese Water Torture aspect of it. And it never ends!

However, Don McLean wasn't a one hit wonder. He also did Starry NightVincent, which I like a lot more than American Pie.

For me the day the music died was Dec. 8, 1980. I also remember exactly where I was when they announced about Stevie Ray, and also Jerry Garcia.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yep - listened to the Buddy Holley remembrance show on my XM radio 50's channel.

heh heh heh - sniff sniff High school went downhill after 1959.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

This was mentioned on another site I visit, except they used Feb. 2nd. I have old newspaper clippings I kept through the years, and they mention Feb. 2nd, Feb. 3rd, and even Feb. 4th. Hate to be a stickler for detail, but sure wish this could definitely be clarified.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
This was mentioned on another site I visit, except they used Feb. 2nd. I have old newspaper clippings I kept through the years, and they mention Feb. 2nd, Feb. 3rd, and even Feb. 4th. Hate to be a stickler for detail, but sure wish this could definitely be clarified.
Feb 3, 1959 is listed as the date of death of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper (JP Richardson).
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Did you see that there are a couple of new releases of old Buddy Holly material that are coming out? I saw mention of it in a news article. They mentioned that Buddy Holly was unusual at the time because he wrote and produced his own songs--I guess that Texas singer-songwriter thing goes back a long way. The article also mentioned Party Doll, a song I'd never heard until Ha brought it to my attention on this forum.

Anyone going to pick up the new releases?

Speaking of Don McLean, one of those great teen memories for me is the New Years Eve right after I got my night license (16 here in SC) a week earlier. We were driving out to a party in the Francis Marion forest at a little cabin, and that song came on the radio. About 6 of us in my old 1982 Chevy blazer sang along with the whole song. I can remember it like yesterday. Boy did we have fun that night--well, except for the ones that threw up (not me)!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Did you see that there are a couple of new releases of old Buddy Holly material that are coming out? I saw mention of it in a news article. They mentioned that Buddy Holly was unusual at the time because he wrote and produced his own songs--I guess that Texas singer-songwriter thing goes back a long way. The article also mentioned Party Doll, a song I'd never heard until Ha brought it to my attention on this forum.
Yep, one is called "Down The Line: The Rarities". A lot of it is country. Here is a link where you can listen to sound samples.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote