Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had a $13 pool brush shipped Prime - it went all over the place from the south - east coast, Alaska - before reaching SoCal after a week. I called and whined and they gave me a free month of Prime, so my pool brush which had traveled over 8000 mile cost me about $2. I'm ok with our Prime membership.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered a wifi thermostat yesterday, and got the notice that even though it was Prime eligible it wouldn't be shipped for 3-4 days. I've had Prime for a few years, and I order a LOT of stuff as part of my business. I'd say 95% or the Prime eligible items make it in 2 days or less, often next day. But some doesn't. Personally I wouldn't have Prime just for myself, since I seldom need anything that fast and seldom use the streaming part. But since I have it for the business I use if for my personal use too. Mostly satisfied, but I have noticed more and more of what I end up buying isn't Prime eligible. Oh well, definitely a first world problem.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Even if Amazon fulfills the order and you order Friday pm, it doesn't arrive until Tues or Weds. If vendor fulfills order, it's taken up to 2 weeks to arrive .
That item is not Amazon Prime, and they make it clear that it is not. Only orders shipped/fulfilled by Amazon can be Amazon Prime.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

A few months ago I was spending some time in our soon-to-be retirement house. While I was there, I placed a couple of Amazon orders, making sure the items were Prime eligible. When I went through the checkout process, it defaulted to my current address and showed delivery in 2 days. When I changed the address to my temporary location, it changed to show delivery in 3-4 days. So apparently the the 2 day delivery doesn't apply everywhere (and it's not like I was in some remote location either). They also used some carrier I had never heard of before, rather than the usual UPS, Fedex or USPS. This other carrier also had lousy tracking, and didn't operate on Saturdays. Makes me wonder if Prime will be worth maintaining once we move to the new location.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No Amazon Prime user here. I do not buy enough stuff from Amazon to make it worthwhile.

And I often buy little electronic parts from Hong Kong or China, and they have free shipping even for parts that cost $1 or $2. So, I often have to wait for 2 to 3 weeks. I am patient.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:17 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I have NEVER had a Prime 2 day shipment take more than 3 days...and that's pretty rare. On occasion, I've done same day delivery, but if it's after 3, I will usually get it the next AM with a $10 merchandise credit.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
My experience is/was exactly the same, except the opposite. I have never had a prime 2 day shipment make it in under 3 days, it was usually at least 4 if not more.

When my renewal came up I cancelled as I don't order enough from Amazon and never watched anything on their Netflix clone.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Well, this is news to me!

I have Prime and thought it was only about free shipping.

I never noticed how long the delivery time was because even before I was on Prime stuff came in a reasonably short time.

Of course I also watched some free Prime movies and series (Man in the High Castle) etc.
Agreed, particularly about the digital media part of the benefits of Prime membership. Its true it ain't just about the shippin! Though around the holidaze that becomes the best part
Old 03-19-2016, 03:43 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No amazon prime, but just a local on-line ecommerce site.

Typically order before 22h, get your order the next day. Laptop I'm typing on got delivered that way, before 9AM on a Saturday.

Some companies here are pushing same day delivery.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reasons why you might not get the 2-day shipping you were expecting...

Amazon.com Help: Amazon Prime Eligible Items & Addresses
Old 03-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are you sure? I think that would be pretty low to disguise longer shipping as a 'processing' prior to shipping, if Amazon sells Prime as 'Two Day shipping'..
Am I sure about what? That Amazon occasionally says "requires an additional few days to process the order"? Of course. That's why I posted it. Not frequent but not uncommon either.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Well, this is news to me!

I have Prime and thought it was only about free shipping.

I never noticed how long the delivery time was because even before I was on Prime stuff came in a reasonably short time.

Of course I also watched some free Prime movies and series (Man in the High Castle) etc.
Whatever shipping deals that Prime offered were when they first appeared, it wasn't enough to entice me to join (and pay extra). I am fortunate, and I realize that everyone is not this lucky either for geographic or physical reasons, to be able to get myself to a brick-and-mortar store if there is something I really, really want right now.

The "arts-type" offerings (as in video and audio benefits) are reason for me to continue my Prime membership.

And I'll take this opportunity, although it's a blatant hijack but I'm not sure it deserves its own thread, to say that I notice that a collection called The Complete Ella and Louis On Verve is available on Prime Music. Everybody knows who Ella and Louis are, but the backing musicians are definitely jazz greats, led by the excellent work of the Canadian pianist Oscar Peterson. It's a compilation of what were originally released as separate albums on the Verve label.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

While we were full timing in our motorhome we often needed items shipped to different places. Quite often needed in a couple days since we were moving to another location. We found out that some locations didn't deliver in the 2 days promised. But the biggest problem was when UPS/Fedex hands the item to the USPS for delivery. Many locations would not accept USPS deliveries or had a different address. Amazon never could resolve that problem despite many emails and phone calls.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have Amazon Prime, but it's rare for my Amazon orders to take more than 3 days to arrive. Sometimes my orders are delivered on Sundays via USPS. And I almost always get free shipping since it's soooo easy to spend $35 at Amazon.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Am I sure about what? That Amazon occasionally says "requires an additional few days to process the order"? Of course. That's why I posted it. Not frequent but not uncommon either.
It sounded to me like you were saying Amazon was 'hiding' the slow shipping as 'processing time'. [edit to add your comment that I bolded - MB said: I've always read that as "2 day delivery is too expensive, this will take 4 or 5, so suck it up"]. Examples (all Prime eligible), to hopefully make this clearer:

Order A is processed, shipped and received in 2-3 days.

Order B says 2-3 days to process, and you get a notice that it shipped on day 2, and you receive it 2 days after that ( 4 days total, but still 2 day shipping).

But I thought you were saying sometimes this happens:

Order C
says 2-3 days to process, and you receive it in 5 days. And you suspect that they just used slow shipping to save costs, and used the 'processing time' as an excuse.

What I'm saying is if you watch the details on Order C, and if your 'excuse' theory was true, you would see that it was delivered to the shipping company on day 1 and took 4-5 days to ship. And if that's the case, that is pretty slimy on Amazon's part. They used a slow shipper and called it 'processing time' - dishonest.

However, I suspect (but do not know), that if you looked at the shipping details, you'd find it did spend 2-3 days processing (did not get to the shipper for 2-3 days), and the actual shipping time was the 2 days that they promise. Which would indicate that Amazon didn't use slow shipping to save $.

I suppose Amazon could be using that 'processing time' to use their own trucks to move inventory from a distant warehouse where that product is stocked, to a closer warehouse to get lower shipping costs, as part of their normal stocking deliveries? Maybe that works for them for lower volume products? Kind of a variation of what you suspect?

At any rate, it's one of many reasons that I'm not interested in paying a premium for Prime, even though I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. There are very few times that I really need/care about 2 day shipping versus 5-7 days, and there are just too many exceptions to Prime (many non-Prime eligible products, and sometimes the cost is higher too - a double 'tax').

-ERD50
Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I don't have Amazon Prime, but it's rare for my Amazon orders to take more than 3 days to arrive. Sometimes my orders are delivered on Sundays via USPS. And I almost always get free shipping since it's soooo easy to spend $35 at Amazon.
They recently raised that to $49. Makes it a little harder sometimes. I do keep a bunch of stuff that I have no real time frame for so I can fill out an order, I think I need to look around the house and see if there are any regular consumable/disposable items that I should add to my list.

But it also has me looking at other places. I've recently placed two different orders on-line at Walmart for some of the things for my Mom in Assisted Living. Walmart just had better pricing, better products and free shipping >$50, no restrictions that I noticed.

-ERD50
Old 03-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #36

Quote:
It sounded to me like you were saying Amazon was 'hiding' the slow shipping as 'processing time'. [edit to add your comment that I bolded - MB said: I've always read that as "2 day delivery is too expensive, this will take 4 or 5, so suck it up"]. Examples (all Prime eligible), to hopefully make this clearer:
Not sure what is so difficult about this. Back to my original post.

I have found some items that are eligible for Amazon Prime, but won't be delivered in 2 days because they need "additional time to process the order". This additional time varies among items. Am I sure? Yes, this is something I have observed many times.

My take is Amazon intentionally does this to deliver in more than 2 days yet still call it Amazon Prime Delivery. Am I sure? Yes, I am sure this is my opinion. Can anyone prove this is actually happening? Not without more data. Kind of like the Netflix throttling issue. Proven, even admitted, but still denied by Netflix.

Is it possible that there is a less conspiratorial explanation? Of course. I am quite critical of this type of explanation when given by others, and accept the same amount of skepticism on my own view. Still, Amazon shipping costs must be significant, Amazon Prime subscribers probably limit their searches to Prime eligible products only, and the intersection of these two represent an important marginal profit opportunity.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They recently raised that to $49. Makes it a little harder sometimes.
Bummer! Maybe it's time I took the plunge into Prime then.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #38
Administrator

I love having Amazon Prime. I don't even know if I buy enough stuff from Amazon to make it cheaper; I get such a charge out of fast delivery for free, that it is worth it to me either way. I would never *pay* for faster delivery if I did not have Prime. I do not really use any of the other benefits of Prime and just get it for the free, fast delivery.

Delivery was slower for a while a year or two ago, and I found that to be aggravating. However Amazon is now sending almost everything (to me) via USPS. USPS service used to be slower than UPS and I hated it, but there have been some remarkable improvements in USPS delivery time I have seen in the past year or so. They have really seemed to up their game.

The improvement seems to be mainly in the time it takes to get the item from Texas, or Tennessee, to my local USPS people here in my suburb. Then the USPS takes their time but it still only adds up to two days. Maybe these are UPS/USPS deliveries, where USPS does the last leg only; I don't recall because usually I am just paying attention to what type of truck will be delivering it.

All my recent orders have arrived on time:

My last order was ordered on a Friday and delivered on that Sunday.
The previous order was ordered on a Saturday and delivered on that Monday.
The one before that was ordered on a Tuesday and delivered on Thursday.
The one before that was ordered on a Saturday, and delivered on Tuesday (two working days after it was ordered, so exactly as promised).
The one before that was ordered on a Saturday and delivered on Monday.
The one before that was ordered on a Tuesday and delivered on Thursday.
The one before that was ordered on a Wednesday and delivered on Friday.
The one before that was ordered on a Monday and delivered on Wednesday.

I looked back at several before that and none of them were late either.
No complaints about delivery time, any more.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #39

I ordered a cloth "dust hood" from Shop Smith on the 14th. This is a fairly small and light item. Should get it on the 21st from FedEx Ground. Cost me $19.49 for shipping. Its the only way I can get one of these items. I'm quite happy with Amazon Prime and use it whenever I can.

I will sometimes pay more for a Prime product that is fulfilled by Amazon. The USPS refuses to deliver to my address and Amazon cannot control how other fulfillers deliver my packages. After a very long effort, I got Amazon to put a flag on my deliveries to not use USPS. If I change my address in any way, it will wipe out that flag and I will be back to USPS returning packages and saying I don't exist or I refused delivery or any other box they feel like checking at the time. Whatever box they check, it is not because they refuse to deliver to my address. That would mean they could not charge to send it back.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not sure what is so difficult about this. Back to my original post.

I have found some items that are eligible for Amazon Prime, but won't be delivered in 2 days because they need "additional time to process the order". This additional time varies among items. Am I sure? Yes, this is something I have observed many times.

My take is Amazon intentionally does this to deliver in more than 2 days yet still call it Amazon Prime Delivery. Am I sure? Yes, I am sure this is my opinion. Can anyone prove this is actually happening? Not without more data. Kind of like the Netflix throttling issue. Proven, even admitted, but still denied by Netflix.

Is it possible that there is a less conspiratorial explanation? Of course. I am quite critical of this type of explanation when given by others, and accept the same amount of skepticism on my own view. Still, Amazon shipping costs must be significant, Amazon Prime subscribers probably limit their searches to Prime eligible products only, and the intersection of these two represent an important marginal profit opportunity.
I think the difficulty is that you are using the term "two day delivery" when Prime only advertises "two day shipping". Can you show me on Amazon's site where they call it call it "Amazon Prime Two Day Delivery"?

And as I described, you do have the data to confirm/deny this - look at when it shipped. I suspect you will find they generally meet their two day shipping promise. The extra days were in processing.

-ERD50