Join Early Retirement Today

The Devil's Tub
Old 05-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Devil's Tub

(Why the best pool is someone else's or is owned and maintained by the Homeowners Association)

I must admit to suspecting there is a bit of a curse going on here - perhaps the Gods are just having some fun with an old man.

The pool opening ritual isn't something I delight in - the truth is I dread it. However it does mark the begging of true summer. - I'm a summer guy. For your reference - 24 ft round with deck - a Johnny Weissmuller (a.k.a. the Devils tub). We were away and left early to return home in time to get it done. A storm was threatening - the remnants of some tropical storm was on its way. Water is one enemy of removing the pool cover., leaves are another, so is brittle plastic but stay with me here..

1. Get the filter out of the garage - careful not to jostle it or it will leak like a sieve, at least the old one did. The Filter winters in the garage on the kid's old red wagon. It came out and was placed on its brick pad without incident. At least this time (yeah that's another years story)

2) Attach hose from filter to skimmer (I think to myself I'll let the DS 17 do this he needs more screwdriver time) I show him how to position the hose clamps. Then It all happened so fast - He begins tightening down the clamps, leans against the skimmer and I hear a lout snap. I look and there is 2 inch crack on the skimmer. I articulate my displeasure with some colorful language - Yes I am an imperfect being. ( I knew it was $100 snap to say the least). We put that task aside. We attach the other hose to the return without issue.

3) We attempt to remove pool cover .. But there is 300lbs of nasty decomposing leaves, pine needles and a green slurry on that darn cover that must be dealt with first. (I live on a woodsy lot which means the pool gets shut promptly around September 1.) we run two hoses and attempt to siphon off the smelly brew until it runs gets clogged - we jiggle the hose and it runs some more and repeat the process many times Then at least 2 hours of siphoning and using a bucket with a rope and a hoe to haul out the muck. The pool water level is low-

DS football playing son stops by and I figure with the extra muscle we can do it. We all haul away and bam - 100lbs of leaves and unspeakable smelly mess fall into the pool. After several minutes of articulating my unhappiness with my stupidity. I duct tape the vacuum hose to one of my extendable net poles. We create a suction and I begin sucking up the mess. I have been through it all. The Mrs. heads off to buy a new skimmer. Over the next hour and half standing and sitting on the deck (my knee doesn't appreciate long durations of standing) carefully vacuuming up the mess up trying not to poke a hole in the liner. My Son then says hey Dad you sure you don't want some sun block - you look red. Of course if you are already red you know it is too late.

The wife comes home with the new skimmer. With the SILs help we unscrew the old skimmer but wait - the new skimmer doesn't come with an inner and outer gaskets like the ones we removed -it has a new fangled split gasket that's straddles both the inner and outer the the square opening. We struggle with it but It doesn't appear to be a perfect fit? More colorful language and finally DS friends is able to tighten the screws and bam it is all together. I am convinced it is going to leak. The rain comes...

I run the water to fill the pool until 9PM and I turn it off - it is about three quarters there. Tomorrow is another day... Now where is that timer?

We are ordering a 27ft leaf cover and new cover today today - can't wait to close the pool at the end of August.

I just know it's going to leak.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good story. I know your environment is made more awesome by the trees, but...

When we moved here in 1995 or so, the deciding factors (for me, at least) were:
- no lawn
- no pool
- lots of trees

I have saved countless hours on lawn and pool maintenance. But, there are the trees to take care of.

We have many pools in this area. Many are covered with decomposing leaves, and unfortunately there are empty homes with those decomposing leaves laying on the pool cover. A serious mosquito problem has developed from all that. The county is now involved.

In conclusion, I would welcome you and your pool as neighbors, and would probably come over once a week with favorite drinks.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
gone traveling

"Of course if you are already red you know it is too late. "

😭

--ZG
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #4
gone traveling

Pools are like boats, but harder to get rid of
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brings back memories, and I'm glad they currently are memories. Owned a house with a pool from 1983 to 1997. Really enjoyed it the first few years, but it became a money and time pit as life happened and it got less and less use. And this was in Alabama with 95 degree days! Most of the use in later years was 15 minute dips to cool off after going out for a run or mowing the lawn.

Unfortunately, my father in law past away and gave his fishing boat to my sons, after sitting idle for three years. Another time and money pit. We finally went out in it on Memorial Day, but after two hours, we were ready to head to shore. I've never been particularly interested in fishing but younger son may take it up again. I'd rather be backpacking.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would not have a house with an inground pool, for all the tea in China. What a PITA to maintain, and people flock to pools like flies to a dead carcass. Not ideal for an INTJ. Mosquitos and West Nile are a huge problem here, and Zika probably will be too at some point. Pools are attractive in desert locations, but here, just walking outside it is so humid one might as well be swimming even without a pool.

If I want to swim, there are several pools that I could go to for free that others maintain. To begin with, my gym has not one, but two gigantic heated indoor pools.

The thought of having a pool makes me want to let out an involuntary yell, "GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU LITTLE IMPS!!" so I guess my attitude is based on being a cranky old lady.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote