Join Early Retirement Today

The dingo ate my babies
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The dingo ate my babies

Actually, it was someone else's babies... and it was a coyote... and they only snagged 'em and tried to run off into the bushes before getting chased off.

But jeez, twice in the span of about a week a little ankle biter has been the target of opportunity for one of these scruffy ba$tards. And fish and game is warning people not to shoot at them. Not sure I would obey that directive if it was my child looking like a McDiaper nugget.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live in a rural area that is infested with coyotes. We had a cat when we first moved out here. He became coyote poop in less than a week. The coyotes around here are not bold at all. I very seldom see one during the day but often hear a pack of them yapping at night. We have young grandchildren who visit weekly, including a two year old. We never let them out of our sight. BTW, our local wildlife officials policy is that any coyote bold enough to approach a home during the day is fair game

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe the officials meant don't shoot at the coyotes while they have babies in their mouths.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

That vermin goes after one of my kids, then its next contestent. Thanks for being on the show!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #5

Coyote attacks are extremely rare, and children are much more likely to suffer domestic dog bites.

If you must worry about improbable events, worry about your pet, or your neighbour's pet.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

DW awakened to a Doberman v. Coyote showdown in Wisconsin. Our dog was one side of a link fence, Wiley on the other. Dog was going berserk and making sounds that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. She was a big girl and pretty intimidating. Coyote just looked at her like she was nuts, very aloof, almost yawning. Size difference and all (coyotes go about 35 lbs), I would not have wanted to see what would have happened. Finally, the coyote gave up and just sauntered away.

There were stories when we lived in Tucson about how a coyote in heat would "tempt" mail dogs and have them follow out into the desert where the pack was lying in wait.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
There were stories when we lived in Tucson about how a coyote in heat would "tempt" mail dogs and have them follow out into the desert where the pack was lying in wait.
Those mail dogs deserve whatever they get. Can't depend on them to deliver anything on time anyhow.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Coyote attacks are extremely rare
The next day after the first incident, another coyote was chased away from a child in the exact same park moments before nabbing it. These animals have lost most of their fear of humans and are exhibiting predatory, stalking behavior.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Administrator

OK, I just HAVE to tell a coyote story...

When I lived near the border in San Diego, I saw some interesting things. Lots of illegals passed through our neighborhood, lots of trucks and low flying planes, etc.

Anyway, one day a wild-eyed, muscular Mexican or Indian man came out of the hills, bare to the waist and deeply tanned, with a shotgun in one hand and a canteen slung over his shoulder. He had nothing else with him except a coyote with a stout rope tied around its neck, that was leading him or traveling with him as he hung on to the rope.

We saw a lot of coyotes out there but none like that! I didn't know they could be domesticated (if this one even was!! ). This half wild guy must have had a real way with animals. And looking like that, and equipped like he was, he emerged from the wilderness into our suburb. Scared me half to death as I shoo'ed my toddler daughter back into the house and ran in behind her.

I sure saw a lot of interesting sights down there!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Those mail dogs deserve whatever they get. Can't depend on them to deliver anything on time anyhow.

And they can't tipe, either.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I sure saw a lot of interesting sights down there!
So it was a coyote with a coyote?

We have some coyote problems around here and also have the 'dont shoot' rules. I saw one hanging around down the bottom of the hill at my old mcmansion, looking for possible housecat meals. Took a walk around the open space behind the house until I found its den, spooked it out and threw a bunch of big rocks into the den to fill it in. Never saw it again.

The farmers found a way around the 'dont shoot' laws. They had a law passed in the county that allowed them to shoot domestic dogs that were harassing their livestock. Turns out there isnt much of a lobby protecting domestic dogs that are off leash and after farm animals, so they got it passed easily.

Turns out its very hard to tell the difference between a dog and a coyote in bad light.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So it was a coyote with a coyote?
Well, now that you mention it, maybe so!

He was alone, though, having nobody with him other than his coyote pal. So maybe not.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #13

Coyotes ate both of our cats last summer. I have yet to see one tho. Kept the rifle out just in case tho. I may try to bait/call them this summer if they come back.

One of the cats was a big old fat cat, running 27lbs or so. He got carried off in less time it took me to get up and run outside. So, there must be some big coyotes out there.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #14

I live in the midwest and I can remember when I was young seeing coyote carcasses hanging from rope strung up like a clothesline in farm yards. So, I know at one time they were hunted. Are they no longer being hunted? I might be imagining things, but, didn't "they", whoever they are, used to pay people for hunting coyotes?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #15

I love coyotes, especially hearing their howls at night. Am I weird? Probably. Anyway, early Monday morning I was hiking in the mountains and my dog spied a coyote on a trail along the mountainside. The coyote stopped a moment, took a long look at us, and my dog stared back but didn't seem at all perturbed. I was kind of surprised that he would just be interested and not alarmed., Maybe because the coyote was so far away. Then he took off again. Very cool!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #16

Ahem.

Another point of view, if I may.

I actually love coyotes, and have spent many a camping trip letting them serenade me to sleep. They are smart and resourceful, and they do a great deal to control mice, rats, and other pests.

Further, much of the problem with human / coyote interaction can be traced to our sloppy human habits -- leaving our garbage out, not spaying or neutering our dogs, letting our small pets outside and feeding feral cats, all of which attract coyotes to us.

This site has some good information on why certain controls don't work well, and what efforts might be more successful in maintaining the peace between species.

Coyote Solutions
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #17

Hey, there, OldBabe. Weird minds think alike!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I understand it, coyotes actually reproduce faster if a population is being killed off. So maybe that is the rationale for not shooting them.

To my amazement, here in suburban Jersey there have been coyotes coming after toddlers. I suppose that if one got into my yard and went after a kid, I would charge first and worry about rabies shots later, since a coyote would go through either of my marshmallow dogs like a wet paper bag. But if it were a regular occurrence/threat, the beagles would be getting a new German Shepherd mix (possibly mixed with pit bull) to play with in a hurry.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Anyway, one day a wild-eyed, muscular Mexican or Indian man came out of the hills, bare to the waist and deeply tanned, with a shotgun in one hand and a canteen slung over his shoulder. He had nothing else with him except a coyote with a stout rope tied around its neck, that was leading him or traveling with him as he hung on to the rope.
We saw a lot of coyotes out there but none like that! I didn't know they could be domesticated (if this one even was!! ). This half wild guy must have had a real way with animals. And looking like that, and equipped like he was, he emerged from the wilderness into our suburb.
Aw, I bet he was just a feral pig hunter ("feral" referring to the pig, not the hunter) with a "pitbull mix" (this time referring to the dog, still not the hunter) on his way back to Kipahulu...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kipahulu feral pig hunters.jpg (70.0 KB, 69 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #20

I think that coyotes are a problem.

My solution is to reintroduce wolves, mountain lions and grizzly bears. The coyote population will be under control real fast.

MB