Join Early Retirement Today

The dust collector...step one
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The dust collector...step one

It hadn't been started it in at least 5 years and was sitting by good ole red the snow blower in the garage . It too was red, dust covered but otherwise in great condition. Well anyone handy with small engines knows that carburetor would be gunked up. I put a little gas in it and pulled the cord and it coughed to life. It ran a bit then it would run no more. The Sears chipper cost me $500 11 years ago; it was first part of my two part assault on the mini forest/jungle on the side of my house. Chemical warfare was part two applied with a plastic sprayer-
A flyover application would have been too costly. I learned recently some of that stuff causes cancer - the plants revenge.

I put it on Craigslist, got a couple of calls and a nice fellow with a huge trailer and suv took it away and I had $125 in my pocket. Things are changing here -the pinball machine is sitting in the dinning room, moved from my sons room awaiting gifting to a colleague. Though I always complained about the junk decluttering has me feeling a bit funny. I try to convince myself it isn't the last chapter- rather just another chapter and I'm ready to turn the page.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

It is hard to declutter but once the stuff is gone, you really don't miss it. We did a massive declutter when we moved about two years ago and we are getting ready to do it again.
Palmtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #3

I found the shift from collecting to decluttering was slow and almost imperceptible.

As a young man perennially strapped for cash, I really enjoyed going to yard sales and buying used stuff to fix up. Later I enjoyed buying shiny new things.

Now, I enjoy watching the trash collectors pick up and cart away my old stuff. I've made a commitment to myself to have two large black "contractor" bags and at least one bulky item out at the curb each week, in addition to our regular trash. I'm also planning to get back on eBay and Craig's List with some items I think may have value to others.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It does feel great once you great rid of a bunch of stuff. It can be hard to start but after a while you gain momentum.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a pinball machine in my dining room too. Not ready to sell it yet so I'm going to "stage" it in the garage for a while. Play it out there.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #6

I had a huge amount of old stuff that had belonged to my Grandparents. A couple of years ago I contacted a bunch of my cousins and told them they could have any of that stuff they wanted but that anything left after a year would be thrown out. I had a great time giving it all away and didn't have to throw anything.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

I did give away my lawn mower and very tall ladder when we moved. No grass to cut here and I don't intend to let my husband climb up that tall ladder ever. Some very happy contractors quickly picked up that tall ladder, IIRC
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote