Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Economist on ebooks - The uncertain economics of lending virtual books
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Economist on ebooks - The uncertain economics of lending virtual books

A nice little article explaining the current situation regarding how ebooks are distributed through the public library system and what changes might be coming..

Libraries and e-books: Literary labours lent | The Economist
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article -- summary: publishers are 1) leery of lending ebooks for fear readers will find it more convenient than physical lending and won't buy, and/or 2) Amazon and Overdrive who dominate the library systems will drive down the prices publishers get. The upshot is that whether publishers will cooperate with libraries on ebooks is questionable.

I get virtually all of my books from the library and always look for an electronic version first. I hope they work things out.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I am waiting for a virtual authors' market that bypasses publishers and goes straight to ebooks. Of course, Amazon would fight that.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
I am waiting for a virtual authors' market that bypasses publishers and goes straight to ebooks. Of course, Amazon would fight that.
Heh. Amazon RUNS that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-acco...opic=200260520

This is where those zillions of 99 cent ebooks in the Kindle store come from.

That said, publishers provide a valuable service that we readers often ignore. Charles Stross is an author who has discussed this from time to time on his blog. I'll let him describe the publishing services, as he is both more coherent and writes better than I:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...-are-made.html

It's worth reading, and goes far to explain why so many self-published books have that certain something about them...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've gone to the trouble of getting library cards from 2 large city California libraries in order to get Ebook access. Still it's disappointing to see how little is easily available. And the library checkout process + Amazon download is confusing to say the least. On the other hand, buying an Ebook from Amazon for Kindle download is extremely easy.

Maybe someday the pricing model will change. Buying used paperback books through Amazon can be pretty cheap, but the same book as an Ebook can be pricey in comparison. Example, a Sue Grafton 2009 book that sells for $2.53 today (with Prime membership you'll get it in 2 days) versus $7.99 in Kindle form. See this link: Amazon.com: U is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone Mystery) (9780399155970): Sue Grafton: Books

Nice to bitch here, thanks.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've gone to the trouble of getting library cards from 2 large city California libraries in order to get Ebook access. Still it's disappointing to see how little is easily available. And the library checkout process + Amazon download is confusing to say the least. .

If the library has overdrive the check out is simple .I select my book ,check out and that automatically takes me to Amazon where I click on load to my kindle and it is there instantly .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If the library has overdrive the check out is simple .I select my book ,check out and that automatically takes me to Amazon where I click on load to my kindle and it is there instantly .
You are right I'm sure. But the process is not intuitive. Maybe I didn't get taken automatically to Amazon. I use Firefox. Or maybe I don't remember the details clearly.

Have not done this too many times partly because I've not found that many books available. Seems everything I want to read is either not in the library or only one copy that is not available. I'm clearly disgruntled and enjoying my rant. Don't confuse me with facts.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote