Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, some people are too big to jail, so ya gotta prosecute somebody.
I wonder who should do the jail time for giving loans to students persuing degrees in traditionally low paying fields?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I wonder who should do the jail time for giving loans to students persuing degrees in traditionally low paying fields?
The students, obviously. You can't expect bankers and specialty finance people to be able to take time from their busy schedules to understand forward prospects for the economy and job markets. That sort of decision has to be left to persons with sufficient time available to do the necessary research work, such as high school seniors.

Really, people have to take some responsibility for their actions. It is hardly the banker's fault if someone takes advantage of their generosity. Loan officers have always relied on the kindness of strangers.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Some of the marketing people at the colleges kids we know attended are nothing but grifters: Hey we'll give you a 50% scholarship so you can only be $100K in debt with a useless major instead of $200K, deal?
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Really, people have to take some responsibility for their actions. It is hardly the banker's fault if someone takes advantage of their generosity. Loan officers have always relied on the kindness of strangers.
Back when banks kept their loans, as opposed to reselling them, I don't recall bankers being generous to strangers........ or anyone else.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Back when banks kept their loans, as opposed to reselling them, I don't recall bankers being generous to strangers........ or anyone else.
My mother got a toaster for opening an account at the local bank. I think we needed one at the time.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My mother got a toaster for opening an account at the local bank. I think we needed one at the time.
I got one too, but I'd bet the bank would not have loaned me more money than I could afford to repay.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I got one too, but I'd bet the bank would not have loaned me more money than I could afford to repay.
My how times have changed.

When I went to the local bank in Ansonia, Connecticut in 1976 for a $50,000 mortgage loan (with 20% down, no less), the banker wanted to speak with my boss to make sure I was going to stay employed (haha).
Old 11-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
The students, obviously. You can't expect bankers and specialty finance people to be able to take time from their busy schedules to understand forward prospects for the economy and job markets. .
Makes sense. Students pay their student loans off. Home owners pay their mortgages off. CC holders pay their CC debt off. Car owners pay their car loans off. And druggies pay the juice to Big Louie for the hits they got on credit last week.

Makes perfect sense. I love consistency!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My how times have changed.

When I went to the local bank in Ansonia, Connecticut in 1976 for a $50,000 mortgage loan (with 20% down, no less), the banker wanted to speak with my boss to make sure I was going to stay employed (haha).
And the sooner things get completely back to those old, conservative standards, the better I'll like it.

If our political leaders or social activists want folks who can't afford homes to have homes, instead of encouraging lenders to lower lending standards (via whatever actions), they should just give the folks the money up front and avoid being part of creating bad loans.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I should have been alarmed after 2 of my tenants out of 6, gave me notice that they were buying a house, and NOBODY called me and asked if they paid their rent, how much, and if on time and if they were ever late. I questioned DW about it but never thought about future implications.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Precisely. This stuff is important!
I agree wit yous.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I should have been alarmed after 2 of my tenants out of 6, gave me notice that they were buying a house, and NOBODY called me and asked if they paid their rent, how much, and if on time and if they were ever late. I questioned DW about it but never thought about future implications.
Remind me not to be a landlord.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:37 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

The issue wasn't being a landlord. They were excellent tenants; only nobody checked with DW or I to verify their 5 year old record, albeit excellent ones. That lack of verification alarmed me, but not enough for me to sell all banking/financial stocks.

Landlording has been very good to me.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:23 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
The issue wasn't being a landlord. They were excellent tenants; only nobody checked with DW or I to verify their 5 year old record, albeit excellent ones. That lack of verification alarmed me, but not enough for me to sell all banking/financial stocks.

Landlording has been very good to me.

My last tenants rented for seven years and bought a home in the Villages. I did receive a form in the mail from their mortgage lender asking to verify the information the tenants gave them. That was a year and a half ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum